Author Topic: Hair loss  (Read 643 times)

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
Hair loss
« on: December 27, 2012, 06:45:07 PM »
Rosie had a serious illness back in July she had a massive blood loss due to her inmune system failure causing her blood platlets to drop, the vets had to put her onto some serious medicine which included steriods to save her.  It was awfull at the time there was blood everywhere just came from her nose & mouth and took days before they managed to get it to clot.

She was on the meds for about 3 months and is now complety clear her blood count is now fine but what we have now noticed is the amount of hair Rosie is loosing now I rang the vet and he says he is not surprised as the medicine she was on was some serious stuff but believes that her coat will recover but has advised we watch for bald patches and Rosie scratching.

Her coat is now coming out in chuncks and she has lost most of her ear feathering and her skin is very flakey I know it is a small price to pay for having her still with us but has any COL experience reaction like this to steriods I cannot name the other drug as hubby cannot remember the name.

Rosie is 12 years old and spayed so does have a thick coat so plenty to loose

Before

After does not show too well the amount off her ears that is missing

Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Dozy bird

• My beautiful babies
Re: Hair loss
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 07:03:51 PM »
Poor little thing, that sounds horrible, you must have all been so worried.
A girl I used to work with had serious pneumonia one Christmas and was out on very strong steroids to get her through it, she also suffered serious hair loss for a while, but it didn't last long and her hair did recover.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 07:56:29 PM »
No experience or advice sorry, but just wanted to say Rosie looks gorgeous in both photos.

I hope she recovers soon, and gets her full coat. Xx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 08:28:15 PM »
poor Rosie to have been so poorly and what a worry you must have had - is she ok to take supplments?  I wondered if Kronch oil or Fish4dogs might be an option to help with her skin and fur?

Shes very pretty :luv:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about Rosie's illness  :-\  is it AIHA?

They usually prescribe Prednisone for illnesses like this - one of the known side effects is hair loss

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/prednisone-side-effects-in-dogs.html

If you haven't already I would strongly recommend you join the CIMDA forum - they have a wealth of knowledge and support there  :luv:

http://cimda.co.uk/

I'm so pleased Rosie has stabilised  :luv: :luv:

helen & jarvis x

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about Rosie's illness  :-\  is it AIHA?

They usually prescribe Prednisone for illnesses like this - one of the known side effects is hair loss
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/prednisone-side-effects-in-dogs.html
If you haven't already I would strongly recommend you join the CIMDA forum - they have a wealth of knowledge and support there  :luv:

http://cimda.co.uk/

I'm so pleased Rosie has stabilised  :luv: :luv:

Yes Rosie was on Prednisone will read these articles thanks

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 10:28:13 PM »
poor Rosie to have been so poorly and what a worry you must have had - is she ok to take supplments?  I wondered if Kronch oil or Fish4dogs might be an option to help with her skin and fur?

I have put Rosie onto YUMEGA oil to help has been on it for about 2 weeks now so hope it will help I have thought of giving her a bath to release her dead coat and help promote new growth

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 12:47:28 AM »
Just wanted to say that Rosie is a gorgeous lady and I hope that her problems are quickly resolved. :luv:

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 04:30:24 PM »
Thank you has been a difficult year for her but she is bouncing back and for a dog that is nearly 13 years old she does look good and still loves life.

Just hope she does not loose much more hair her lovley featherings are falling out fast  :o

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 06:08:04 PM »

I have put Rosie onto YUMEGA oil to help has been on it for about 2 weeks now so hope it will help I have thought of giving her a bath to release her dead coat and help promote new growth

I've been hearing really good things about extra virgin coconut oil - it's really worth trying  ;)

http://www.petside.com/article/coconut-oil-miracle-jar-dogs
helen & jarvis x