Author Topic: Worried sick!!  (Read 5005 times)

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
Worried sick!!
« on: January 04, 2013, 11:35:26 PM »
OH was putting some new shelves up in the kitchen tonight and dropped a screw.....quick as a flash Ruby picked it up and ran off with it.  We couldn't find the screw anywhere so can only assume she has swallowed it  :o

I have phoned the emergency vet.  She is worried that it would do more harm than good to induce vomiting as it may damage her oesophogus, so we have to wait and see if she passes it in the next couple of days.  She told me to feed her (even though she was fed at 5) to cushion the screw going through her system.

I am worried sick!!!
Lynn

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Worried sick!!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 11:38:56 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you and Ruby. Everything crossed it travels through safely with no harm done. (Don't envy you your task of checking for it in the morning.  :020:) The things they do to get get an extra meal.  >:D

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 11:48:38 PM »
Thanks Emma, will have to poke through the poo for the next few days  :020:  I don't really mind....as long as I know it's out.

I am more worried it will cause a blockage and/or damage her insides  :huh:  I suspect I won't sleep much tonight!  Vet said to keep an eye on her for any changes in behaviour, discomfort, vomitting etc.

We didn't even have time to tell her to leave it, she was sooo quick  >:D
Lynn

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 11:51:45 PM »
Will keep everything crossed you find the screw at any moment ..... they're tinkers for grabbing things & running off but can't imagine a screw to be very interesting, so hope she spat it out as she ran away  ;)  :angel:

If it has been eaten..will think positive thoughts for it's reappearance soon  ;)

hugs for you both but especially you Lynn ....  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:   try not to worry too much ...but know you're going to hun  :-*
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 11:53:01 PM »
Oh Lynne I hope you find the flipping thing soon.  I was in the same position a few months ago when we thought Toby had snaffled a plastic lid, so I know how you feel.  Fingers crossed for you.  :luv:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 11:59:26 PM »
Thanks Lindsey & Mel  :luv:  I'm pretty sure she's swallowed it.  She ran from the kitchen to the living room, all wood floors so it shouldn't be that difficult to spot.  Then she jumped on the sofa.  We have had every light on, all the sofa cushions off but no sign of it.

Sitting here in tears at the moment  :'(
Lynn

Offline jessika

• Ozzie
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 12:02:28 AM »
Dogs love to pick up the wrong things dont they :-\ Hopefully she passes it out and it doesnt cause her any harm to her insides  :bigarmhug: Ozzie almost got a hold of an Aero biscuit today after it got dropped on the floor, luckily we pushed him out of the way in time, he also has an obsession with underwear and swallowed a button off some knickers, he passed it out but I wasnt going into his waste to sew the button back on :005:

Follow Ozzie at  instagram.com/ozzie_cockerdile

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 12:08:59 AM »
Thanks jessika.  I am so worried because of the sharp end and the screw was about 1/2 inch long.
Lynn

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 12:26:28 AM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline maddy74

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 02:23:22 AM »
How worrying for you. Try not to worry, I know its easy for me to say. Bet the next time you are hoovering you will hear it go up there ....

If she has eaten it you have done the right thing by following the vets advise. Take care, big hugs from us. xx

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 04:04:04 AM »
They're so jolly fast when they nab something! Maybe you should ask your vet to do an xray, the screw will show up beautifully. It might save you an awful lot of worry and other than that will show you where its sitting. Fingers crossed it makes it through to the other end without causing any damage.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 07:21:59 AM »
Fingers crossed that Ruby hasnt actually swallowed the screw and maybe dropped it when she realised the commotion,
Iv seen this happen with Riley, and Ive found the said item later, I know you,ve looked for it, but these things have a strange habit of hiding very well when we need to find them most.
If she has then really hope it passes quickly, It should be out this morning , so keep a beady eye on that poop.
Let us know how it goes.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 07:36:12 AM »
Hopefully you will find the screw today, in one place or another :luv:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 08:54:15 AM »
They're so quick when it comes to snatching up dropped things. Fingers crossed that it will simply pass through without any trouble at all. My first Cocker, Josh, ate a splintery cooked chicken wing bone that an idiot workman dropped in my back garden after eating his lunch while putting up a new fence for me. I was furious and gave the man a real ear bashing but luckily Josh managed to pass the splintery bone through with no ill effects at all. I really hope it's the same for Ruby :bigarmhug:

Offline Nicky C

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 08:59:48 AM »
They're so jolly fast when they nab something! Maybe you should ask your vet to do an xray, the screw will show up beautifully. It might save you an awful lot of worry and other than that will show you where its sitting. Fingers crossed it makes it through to the other end without causing any damage.
xray is a good idea. My heart goes out to you. The waiting is just horrible.   :bigarmhug: