Author Topic: Why do vets live in mansions!  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
Why do vets live in mansions!
« on: January 10, 2013, 11:21:21 AM »
Could it be the extortionate rates they charge >:(

My pup has had a little upset tummy these past two mornings and coughing up some bile :020: otherwise she's fine in herself. Eating normally and good poos :shades: :005: but thought a trip to the vets would be a good idea.
Thankfully she's fine, just a little bug she's picked up but how expensive those four minutes were >:( as I walked home I calculated that if those four minutes were consistant then one vet would be pulling around 5K a day :o

I know what I want to be next time :D

Mel.

Offline aliceandlouis

Re: Why do vets live in mansions!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 01:07:18 PM »
Like many of us on here I look at the bill at the end of treatment for the dogs and think - how much?!!! - BUT very rapidly calm down and think - do you know what?, I think that's not too bad really (stands back and waits for missiles to be thrown  :D)

Your calculations do make for scary thinking, but actually it is highly unlikely that every appointment lasts only 4 minutes, nor is it likely that a vet will have patients booked in at four minute slots throughout their working day.  I have just googled and the RCVS did a survey of earnings of vets in 2010 at which time the average salary, even for partners, was less than £50k, which is way above the general national average I know, but compared to many professions is not huge (compared to the huge amounts some vacuous celebs manage to rake in for doing nothing it suddenly looks likes peanuts) - and bearing in mind the 5-6 years training, overnight duties, call-outs and on-call responsibilities it doesn't sound over the top to me. One of my younger daughter's school friends qualified as a vet last summer and is having a devil of a job to find employment - she has moved back in with her parents and is working part-time anti-social hours at an annual rate of somewhere around £20k - not a huge salary in comparison to a newly trained police officer's basic around £25k? Remember too that vets also have to pay for their premises, staff etc so a large part of our bills will be accounted for before anything reaches their pockets. 

Another point to consider - a private consultation with a doctor will cost from £80-150 at a local private hospital (NOT Harley Street where who knows what the cost would be?) and then any tests, procedures etc are on top of that, so suddenly veterinary costs begin to look less inflated? :dunno:  Maybe if we had to pay for our own healthcare rather than having the NHS free at point of delivery it would help us to put vet fees into context?  I do think that vets put a huge mark-up on the medications they sell and if either of mine were to need ongoing expensive medication I would probably go down the prescription route - but in all honesty I do not begrudge the amount I get charged.  Maybe I am just very lucky with my local vet - they are flexible, understanding, clinically good and will often suggest that I phone in to report on progress rather than take up another consultation slot (and thereby keep my costs down).  I am also very fortunate that I am in a position to be able to afford vets fees, but I guess for all of us this is part of our thinking/calculations before we bring a dog or dogs into our lives?

Clearly there are some practices that charge a fortune and take the Mickey - there are such types in all professions (don't get me started on the abusive way some 'alternative' healthcare professionals prey on the sick, charging them thousands for pixie dust treatments that are never, ever going to cure cancer for example) - but on average my experience is that I feel the vets charges are not unreasonable.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:14:31 PM »
Well, I am sure, if you were prepared to study hard for about 7 years, work often unsocial hours, cover the costs of premises, overheads, vet nurses, receptionists, medical supplies and equipment, training for yourself and staff, as well as the huge responsibility for the welfare of peoples' beloved pets and dealing with irresponsible and uncaring owners etc, you would not see it as so unreasonable  :shades:
Julie and Watson

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »
I agree with both viewpoints!

I agree with Barbara's well made points and was recently told about the daughter of an acquaintance who finds herself in the same situation as the newly qualified vet that Barbara has described.

The vet practice I use has a senior vet who owns the practice, about 4 other vets, 2 premises (both small) and vet nurses and part time receptionists at both premises. They also have their own out of hours 24/7 service, which is rare these days. So I'm sure the running and staff costs are high.

I also agree that for something minor that only requires a very brief consultation and little or no medication, and where we're told that there's nothing much wrong, can seem disproportionately expensive. In situations like that I feel relieved that my dog is OK but also slightly cheated in an odd way, because I've spent good money being told what I probably already knew :lol2:

I'm sure that my vet, like many others, makes a lot of his money on the things that most owners have done, such as vaccinations, neutering, worming etc., plus trying to flog Royal Canin to all of us >:( and charging a big mark up on medications. I'm not saying that's right but I wonder if they didn't have that regular, steady source of income would the charges for more serious things go up?

My friend wasn't impressed after using common sense and first aid skills to save the life of a guinea pig and then being charged £29 by the vet for a brief look at the guinea pig and being told that she'd done the right thing!

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 02:27:44 PM »
I know it isn't really why you posted, but nn the subject of vomiting up yellow froth first thing in the morning, this is fairly common in dogs. Ruby did it a few times around 5am so I took her to the vet who examined her and said it was probably just something she'd eaten or a bug.

I then did a bit of googling and found that lots of dogs have this, and it is because the stomach is empty so the stomach acids are irritant. You might well find it is solved by giving your dog a couple of biscuits last thing at night. It has worked 100% for us (in fact the one time Ruby did do it again, we realised we'd forgotten her 'supper'!).

I was a little surprised that the vet wasn't aware of this, but hey ho!
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 02:59:23 PM »
This is an interesting article (it's American, so prices in dollars but still gives you an idea):

http://www.askavetquestion.com/why-are-vets-so-expensive.php

Got to say, I am very happy with my vet. I have been there a LOT in the last year with Brodie and they do not come across as money hungry. They were brilliant with my last cocker, who was uninsured, and often waved the consultation fee for a visit. Brodie is on Royal Canin at the moment, prescribed by them, but she is recovering from pancreatitis and their gastro intestinal low fat food only has 1.7% fat which is much less than other foods, and the vet is happy to discuss and look into other foods that may be suitable for her.

I am sure I read somewhere that there is a high suicide rate amongst vets :-\

x In memory of Barney x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
I am sure I read somewhere that there is a high suicide rate amongst vets :-\

I've read that too and in my 25 years of dog owning I've personally known of one lovely young vet who committed suicide shortly after diagnosing her own dog with incurable cancer :'( :'( and heard of another fairly local vet who also committed suicide.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 03:53:01 PM »
I would of agreed with the OP BUT now that daughter works at my vets as a trainee vet nurse, I understand why mine might be a bit more expensive than others in the area based on the level of care and the facilities on offer.  The number of staff on multiple shifts to ensure there is always cover, surgeries on Saturday and Sunday and till turn 7pm every weekday night and excellent training to both vets and nurses to ensure expertise.  Then there are the number of years training they have already done before they look after my pet.

By comparison, a vets close by only has 1 vet (and a locum if away) and not 1 TRAINED vet nurse, just kennel maids, not a lot cheaper but I know where I am better off!

I do think the price of drugs is extortionate (and that applies to human ones too) but then the fact that the the drugs companies have a monopoly on the market, they can charge what they want.

If I have a quibble with vets, its selling you things you don't really need (like prescription food and metacam "just in case") but then that comes down to being on commission.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

• Miya
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 04:24:26 PM »

aliceandlouis

Your comments regarding 4 minutes treatment is quite understandable and I agree they certainly would not charge by the minute for say an operation.
We registered our pup with a multi store conglomerate and they have quoted a price for a spaying operation almost a third more costly than a local vet >:D
So I'm grateful to this local vet for not exploiting the love we have for our pets ;)

Mel.

• Miya
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 04:31:07 PM »
I know it isn't really why you posted, but nn the subject of vomiting up yellow froth first thing in the morning, this is fairly common in dogs. Ruby did it a few times around 5am so I took her to the vet who examined her and said it was probably just something she'd eaten or a bug.

I then did a bit of googling and found that lots of dogs have this, and it is because the stomach is empty so the stomach acids are irritant. You might well find it is solved by giving your dog a couple of biscuits last thing at night. It has worked 100% for us (in fact the one time Ruby did do it again, we realised we'd forgotten her 'supper'!).

I was a little surprised that the vet wasn't aware of this, but hey ho!

Not much profit in a couple of biscuits :005:

Mel.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 04:42:36 PM »
I also agree with both points - vets train for a long time and I'm sure that they don't earn as much as we think they do, what with staff, overheads etc.  But the markup on some meds is extortionate.  We took Ozzy to the vet for the same reason that you did, and got prescribed normal, human Zantac, and charged £9.00 for the same number of tablets that would have have cost no more than £2-£3 in the chemist or supermarket! I like and trust my vets practice and I don't begrudge paying for their time, but a 200-300% markup on a simple drug like that is ridiculous - I won't be doing it again!

• Miya
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 04:47:38 PM »
Well, I am sure, if you were prepared to study hard for about 7 years, work often unsocial hours, cover the costs of premises, overheads, vet nurses, receptionists, medical supplies and equipment, training for yourself and staff, as well as the huge responsibility for the welfare of peoples' beloved pets and dealing with irresponsible and uncaring owners etc, you would not see it as so unreasonable  :shades:

Hey Joules

Ex-landlord, done the 24/7 unsocial hours, costs, overheads, training and a responsibility to clientele and twentythree staff members :013:
Contrary to popular belief, couldn't quite reach the same mark up on my products as vets seem to do ;)

Mel.

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 04:51:16 PM »
I'm very happy with my vet weve been with him for about 35 years he's brilliant, and worth every penny.  :D

Forgot to add, mine doesn't live in a mansion ;)
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 04:53:20 PM »

Hey Joules

Ex-landlord, done the 24/7 unsocial hours, costs, overheads, training and a responsibility to clientele and twentythree staff members :013:
Contrary to popular belief, couldn't quite reach the same mark up on my products as vets seem to do ;)

Mel.

Well, you are perfectly free to retrain - not their fault if you made the wrong career choice  :shades: :lol2: 

Seriously though, like all businesses, some overcharge, but for the level of training, expertise and facilities that my vet offers, I am prepared to pay for it :dunno:  There are plenty of people I begrudge more than vets
Julie and Watson

• Miya
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 05:05:45 PM »

Hey Joules

Mel.

Well, you are perfectly free to retrain - not their fault if you made the wrong career choice  :shades: :lol2: 

Seriously though, like all businesses, some overcharge, but for the level of training, expertise and facilities that my vet offers, I am prepared to pay for it :dunno:  There are plenty of people I begrudge more than vets

No need to retrain as we were very happy providing quality experiences to 1000's of satisfied dwellers.
I just couldn't sleep at night in the knowledge I'd taken advantage of my position.

Mel.