Author Topic: Why do vets live in mansions!  (Read 1833 times)

Offline pam1

• Donator
Re: Why do vets live in mansions!
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 05:09:17 PM »
I agree with both sides really - I think vets do overcharge for drugs, but that can be solved by purchasing your own on-line so not really a problem unless needed immediatelly.  My daughter is a vet nurse at a 24/7 hospital and works nights, weekends and has to be available Christmas Day etc, so obviously wage bills are high.  There are high overheads and diagnostic and operating equipment is very expensive.

I have just come back from a Bupa hospital with my Mum and she has just been charged £90 for a visual field test (5 mins max) and £112 for a 20 min consultation, so everything is relative really!
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 05:26:08 PM »
I can appreciate both viewpoints but realise that there are good and bad vets, but they do seem to take advantage, especially if you're insured - its almost a blank cheque.

I know when my first Cocker, Indie was diagnosed with kidney failure and pancreatitus, in the space of a week her bills came to over £4.5k, thankfully I was insured but later when I was dealing with the insurance claim and looked down the list of this things that the vet had claimed I was quite disgusted.   >:D Even more so when I read up on my dogs condition and discovered that there was no likely recovery, but yet the vet had advised a kidney biopsy which I realised afterwards did nothing to help my dog given that she was unlikely to live.  I'm still very angry about it now as she ended up suffering far more than she needed to, just to make some money. Thankfully that particular vet has left the practice, but for future and if it isn't an emergency I will always do my own research.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline henryjack1dogs

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 05:26:21 PM »
Vet's charges are over top and they exploit their market - us.

Yes I have a lovely vet and I appreciate she's trained hard to be in her chosen career but would I like to pay less - of course.

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 06:42:44 PM »
I don't think our vets bills are that bad compared to others. Ours will always fit you in, staff are friendly and the dogs love going.
Compared with going to the dentist the vets is cheap.
Our vet was a farmer before being a vet, he still lives on a farm

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 11:01:38 PM »
Of course they've got various overheads to pay, what business hasn't. 

I feel some of them take advantage of our love and concern for our pets by charging extortionate prices, knowing we will pay them. At the end of the day though, the quality of treatment is more important to me, so if I have to pay for it, so be it.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Lovely

Why do vets live in mansions!
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 06:31:34 AM »
I think what i find annoying is when they don't use discretion. As i mentioned in another thread i paid £46 this week to have my daughter's pet mouse pts (please don't laugh it's a long story). I feel the vet could have used discretion and not charged the £20 consultation fee. Apart from anything else it would have made good business sense, as i'm now probably going to change vets. I've 2 dogs and lots of small animals and am therefore a good customer that has been lost. Having said that, i think it's a really hard profession. I wanted to be a vet but didn't get the grades and i know now i couldn't do it. I've always chosen to work in the public sector as i always felt i would be uncomfortable billing people for treating their distress. It must be hard for vets as unless they work for a charity they don't have a choice. I just think sometimes they are their own worst enemy, they could charge less in certain circumstances and still make good money in the long run.
Ali

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 08:18:19 AM »
I think what i find annoying is when they don't use discretion. As i mentioned in another thread i paid £46 this week to have my daughter's pet mouse pts (please don't laugh it's a long story). I feel the vet could have used discretion and not charged the £20 consultation fee. Apart from anything else it would have made good business sense, as i'm now probably going to change vets. I've 2 dogs and lots of small animals and am therefore a good customer that has been lost. Having said that, i think it's a really hard profession. I wanted to be a vet but didn't get the grades and i know now i couldn't do it. I've always chosen to work in the public sector as i always felt i would be uncomfortable billing people for treating their distress. It must be hard for vets as unless they work for a charity they don't have a choice. I just think sometimes they are their own worst enemy, they could charge less in certain circumstances and still make good money in the long run.

I think you raise a good point here - I'm lucky that although our Vet practice is part of a large Group, they listen.  When Harvey was PTS in November I was charged full price for the euthanasia - after speaking to the lady who manages their insurance claims [and they do everything for me, short of signing the form, for no extra cost] the bill was reduced to reflect that he was already being attended to by the vet and was sedated for an x-ray.  This was an insurance claim so they didn't have to change the bill but chose to and thanked me for pointing it out - something they do for dogs but hadn't added a new code on the system for cats or rabbits.

I often get free consultations.  Currently Minnie is on a weight control programme - all of which is free - OK the food isn't but £36 for 5Kg of prescription cat food I think is pretty good ;)

I've been with then for just over 6 years since moving to the area.  I'm really happy with their level of care and attention, the facilities and the quality of their staff.  I do sometimes question if all the procedures or tests are really required and occasionally find we can manage without....

In the past I've had a gift voucher for 10% discount on consultations/treatments and they run their own "loyalty scheme" which gives reduced fees and all annual treatments [flea/worm/booster etc] for a very reasonable monthly fee.

Overall I'm very impressed to the point of nominating the Group for Petplan award.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 08:30:58 AM »
Mine is a privately run practice and the woman who owns it is great.  :luv:  They do show discretion and, although they are not cheap, I am very happy with the service I have received from them (even though, with 9 of my animals currently treated there, I think I have single handedly funded their new extension!  :lol2: )

There are good and bad in all professions but, at the end of the day, we are all free to choose which one we give our custom to  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 01:18:01 PM »
I can appreciate both viewpoints but realise that there are good and bad vets, but they do seem to take advantage, especially if you're insured - its almost a blank cheque.

I know when my first Cocker, Indie was diagnosed with kidney failure and pancreatitus, in the space of a week her bills came to over £4.5k, thankfully I was insured but later when I was dealing with the insurance claim and looked down the list of this things that the vet had claimed I was quite disgusted.   >:D Even more so when I read up on my dogs condition and discovered that there was no likely recovery, but yet the vet had advised a kidney biopsy which I realised afterwards did nothing to help my dog given that she was unlikely to live.  I'm still very angry about it now as she ended up suffering far more than she needed to, just to make some money. Thankfully that particular vet has left the practice, but for future and if it isn't an emergency I will always do my own research.

Oh Supergirl, what a heart wrenching story :'( 

Mel.