Author Topic: £104.....dirty young dog. warning: yucky post content  (Read 2711 times)

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
£104.....dirty young dog. warning: yucky post content
« on: January 28, 2013, 12:16:22 AM »
Hello COLers :)
Have posted previously about what a humper my pup is....well....he sure did freak his Mum out tonight :(
As I said in the title this isn't pleasant so stop eating or don't read!! :(

Buckley has a teddy dog, bought just a few days ago so still new & very much loved for cuddling, chewing like a puppy...but just these last couple days he's started to hump it. Tonight I was sat next to 'em both watching a film, B chewing and humping this teddy, not frantically so I wasn't paying attention :( then he jumped to my side & I looked at him and noticed his rear end looked somewhat tucked in.....to my absolute horror every part of 'his anatomy' was hanging out....the whole meat n two veg!!!!! :(
He was taken to OOH vets, but thankfully it had all retracted back in by the time we were seen. As a precaution I got him a jab for pain relief & incase of swelling or it somehow happening in the night! He was good as gold but vet said his temp was higher than normal and he panted like mad...he was of course watered and given some nice nibbles once home.
He's asleep now next to me, and I've just been able to sit down & think about it....she said there's a chance it could happen again & mentioned having him done to prevent humping. However, I did always want to keep my dog (before I got B) intact, a few reasons but also with a view to breeding perhaps. I don't want to have a vet talk me into something I didn't feel necessary for myself and my dog....but the sheer terror I was going thru tonight seeing the state a nearly 4mo had gotten himself into...in the end it righted itself as natural with time (but there was a risk it would swell & stay out needing cold compresses!! Ow) but I've never seen EVERYTHING 'hanging out' on any dog before, let alone one who's a tiny wee being.
So naturally I will be removing this teddy (poor old Doug) and if he tries to hump anything I'll be straight in to stop it....but it's got me questioning his maturity at nearly 16wks old....any thoughts?? And there's this concern over the pros cons of neutering...he's a great and good boy can I just point out, but he seems randy when he's not yet a teen...and humped so manically he was rushed to the vets for basically turning himself inside out :( I could have cried it shocked me and worried me so much, swelling, bladder stuff etc...anyways he's tucked up & I'm grateful it had a good ending...now to sleep and hoping he'll be not sore or daft tomorrow morning!
:( silly boy....

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: £104.....dirty young dog. warning: yucky post content
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 09:07:29 AM »
Oh dear - what you describe isn't that uncommon in young dogs and doesn't usually need a vet visit (bag of frozen peas wrapped in a cloth can work wonders :D) but of course it's natural for owners who haven't seen this before to worry. Glad all ok now anyway. If you found this experience so traumatic, I hate to say this but I don't think breeding is for you - you'll see all this and more during a mating ;) You might want to read this thread for what you need to think about re breeding from a pet boy: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=3420.0

There are lots of threads on the pros and cons of neutering if you do a forum search so you might want to read a few before making any decision. Here's a recent one to get you started (but there are loads more): http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=100284.0
Jane

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 09:31:06 AM »
Oh dear - what you describe isn't that uncommon in young dogs and doesn't usually need a vet visit (bag of frozen peas wrapped in a cloth can work wonders :D) but of course it's natural for owners who haven't seen this before to worry. Glad all ok now anyway. If you found this experience so traumatic, I hate to say this but I don't think breeding is for you - you'll see all this and more during a mating ;) You might want to read this thread for what you need to think about re breeding from a pet boy: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=3420.0

There are lots of threads on the pros and cons of neutering if you do a forum search so you might want to read a few before making any decision. Here's a recent one to get you started (but there are loads more): http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=100284.0

Thank you Jane :) I'm reading both threads now! The reason I was ''horrified'' was because he's not even 16 weeks old yet!! My horror was not from seeing boy bits, it was the fact my very young puppy had it all out....so my brain was freaking over how on earth it had happened (humping's one thing...but he looked ready for Doug!!!) and whether it would go back in, whether it would swell, whether he'd hurt himself not knowing what was happening.....I don't mind about ''what you see when mating'' etc, like I say, I was terrified if it was physically impossible to sort itself out, because he's so young in age and as a puppy has a small frame....it mattered not that it was his bits really, just to see my baby with his internal organs on the outside!! It was scary cos he's not a teen, little, what could go wrong (so far out I was scared he'd injure himself) is what I mean...

Anyways, I'm off to keep reading those threads....any more thoughts on his young age guys?

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 09:49:59 AM »
Thank you for linking them & I'm glad to have read them.....I didn't learn anything new tho... what I'm trying to find out is why it would happen to an immature dog, if it has happened to anyone elses young pups, what the benefit of ''neutering to prevent humping'' is about...cos even the vet herself said it wouldn't necessarily stop the behaviour, so just seemed a pointless thing to say in the end....but yep she recommended very cold showers if it happened to him again  ph34r I just....15 weeks old?!?!?!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 09:53:19 AM »
Sorry you didn't find the threads helpful :-\

Buckley really isn't that young Beebee - we've had pups that age do the same thing, their bodies are changing all the time and "boy bits" when they come out always do look out of proportion to the rest of the dog, it's just the way canine anatomy is. You really did sound rather horrified at the sight of your boy's "bits" and the title of your thread mentions "dirty boy" and "yukky" so that's why I mentioned about the breeding experience - your boy really isn't being "dirty", he's just reacting to his body's hormonal changes. Remember some pups will be capable of siring pups at 6 months old (I've even heard of 5 month old pups siring a litter - accidentally as the owner didn't think their baby was ready for that sort of thing!) Some pups mature earlier than others and "hump" more than others and the key is to remain calm, don't make a big thing of it, just try to distract him and direct his attention onto something else, a game, a chew etc.
Jane

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »

Testosterone levels in a young adolescent male dogs are much higher than in an adult, intact male (up to 7 times higher)  I believe the levels reach their highest at around the 5/6 month mark, and then decrease until full maturity at about 18 months for a cocker (please someone correct me if I am wrong). You could remove his hormones now (i wouldn't) but in a few months they will naturally lower anyway, leaving him to mature and grow at a natural rate  ;)
We have a young male dog in the house now -( not a cocker) he was a humping machine between 5 - 6 months, but now at 8 months, I can't remember the last time I saw him hump anything (toys or my girlie dogs :005:)
As Jane has said distraction, along with rewarding for an alternative, acceptable behaviour works :D we also removed all cuddly toys, though not my girls, who told him off anyway :005:  :shades:

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 10:38:06 AM »
All dogs mature at different ages, and it's all perfectly normal, pups from really young ages 'hump' their toys - this isn't normally sexual, and you don't normally end up with the full blown effects as you did - I think if you've not seen it before, then it can be a bit of a shock,  it is just natural and will 'return to normal' after a while.

A friend of mine, her boy of 5 months mated her bitch, she didn't think it possible as he was still a young lad, thankfully nothing came of it, but it just goes to show it is possible.

Not quite sure why he needed a pain relief injection though  :huh:, he wouldn't have been in pain, they do stand slightly arched when that happens.  Also if you plan on using him at stud, then worrying and getting stressed when it happens will put him off and he may not 'perform' when you want him to.

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 11:57:24 AM »
Thanks ladies...this is the info I was really wanting to know. I'm struggling to type on my phone as I was late last night making the thread....no smilies etc, and on the www it's hard work not having your typed words taken out of context, thread title....just ignore it, it is the same as saying 'not safe for work'....I didn't want ppl saying *I* was posting gross!!! Anyway..
I'm reiterating my main point about Buckley's age, but you've said other puppies have even sired litters, so now I know this wasn't a 'freak accident'...again I know their parts do what their parts do...but on a little puppy!! I was scared he'd strained, it would swell, all in all it lasted 20m & I didn't know if he'd catch it or cause an injury....as you can tell, I love my young Buckley dearly, I am not being squeemish or dense....
But still it seems like vets want to push neutering and they can't say why...''they either remain humpers or don't...'', and like Bluebell said whether or not he gets done, I would want to wait for him to grow up and mature in all areas anyway...so for now Doug is banished - and anything else he'll try to hump....

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 12:34:10 PM »
Henry has only really ever humped his snugglepuppy (dog teddy) and it started as soon as we got him (9 weeks), right up until I removed him a couple of weeks ago, because he was eating the fur. We got Henry neutered at 7 months (he had a small lump on one testicle which turned out to be nothing). The humping stopped for a few days and then he started again. It never got that serious, and he only really did it after meals! My point is is that I think it's fairly normal for young pups to be humping; even if it does seem a little distasteful for us! Now snugglepuppy's been removed he hasn't tried it on any other toy.

Glad it all went back in its place!

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 12:52:36 PM »
Thank you Sophie and Henry :)
I had read yours (and Elaine's) post in the castrate/or not thread that Jane had kindly linked me to....and these are my feelings also, I would have him done if there were health issues & likewise I wouldn't intervene unnecessarily....the vets advice always seems standard, ''WHEN are you having him done'' not ''these are the reasons for and against'', or ''If you have him done to soon or too late there'll be issues'' - not ''here's how to deal with those issues''. It seems that it becomes learnt behaviour then? Buckley did go through a period of trying to hump me (when he was around 9/10wks or something close) but I walked away when he'd try, and he hasn't done it since. He moved onto a blanket (dressing gown), and then Doug the dog-teddy these last few days. Doug's not been missed today though, and Buckley seems great in himself. The dressing gown is crate bedding now, so that's difficult to drag out to hump....
The info Bluebell gave me is good, that he's around his testosterone peak with the ages... :shades: < am back on a PC and can enjoy a nice smilie now.

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 12:55:41 PM »
Oh boy! Am I glad I got a girlie, haha! Mind you, Clover humps her big tiger toy every day, but at least she hasn't got any bits to protrude!  ;)   :o :005:
To know them is to love them.....

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 01:01:46 PM »
 :005: hee hee I'm glad you
posted that Sue coz I was
going to say it's not just the
boys... some girls enjoy a little
hump on the side of their bed
too(no names ph34r) and they
are a big grown up girl too ;)
steffxxx

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 01:20:02 PM »
 :lol2: you are fantastic ladies. A laugh I needed on a stressful day!

I will probably end up buying him a chastity belt  :005: :angel:

Offline HayleyJB

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 10:09:41 PM »
My girls don't even need stuffed toys, they just hump each other!  Molly is 6 months old & Paige is 9 years  :005:
RIP Misty 09.04.90 - 26.03.05 & her daughter Jezzie 15.07.94 - 08.07.11 x

Offline Rowan Liver Roan

• Rowan Liver Roan
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 10:15:52 PM »
Wee note of caution and possible money saving tip  ;) sisters cav King Charles humped everything and anybody from the age of 8 weeks. Vet suggested neutering at 6 months to stop this but at 13 months the wee monster hasn't changed a bit - she now buys those teddies without stuffing to thwart him.
Proud to be owned by a cocker spaniel.