Author Topic: Poor Erin  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Ralu A

• Elmo
Re: Poor Erin
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 12:18:31 PM »
Poor girl :embarassed: :luv:
Hope she will be feeling better :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Life is just better with two cockers :D
Raluca, Elmo and Scai
IMG_33556 by Ralu A

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 12:37:01 PM »
Can the vet not give her some Metacam whilst she is in pain? At least she will get a bit of respite then.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 12:43:56 PM »
Thank you everyone for your kind words...it really is appreciated. She still a little unsettled tonight ..keeps jumping and looking at her bum so I imagine she is in a little pain.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is some where I could maybe buy bone meal that I could mix in with her dinner to try and firm up her poos in the hope that it helps keep her glands emptying . I am not sure about giving her raw chicken wings for a few reasons ie she has hardly any teeth for chewing....she tends to just swallow food whole and also suffers from a very sensitive tum so thought maybe ground up bone may be an alternative.

All suggestions gratefully received

Linzi

It's maybe not ideal but Charlie gets DAF meats - which contain minced up meat, offal and bone - at least that way he's getting bone. I'm not suggesting a switch to raw; but when we first started on raw (and even now) chicken doesn't agree with Charlie. You could always try some of the pets at home varieties to get an idea of what agrees with her and what doesn't, and then if you could always once a week, or twice a week feed her a raw meal with bone to see if it helps?
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 12:48:06 PM »
Pleased to say Erin seems a lot brighter this morning...have not seen her jumping and looking at her bum nor has she been licking or biting it so fingers crossed she on the mend. Took her antibiotic this morning straight from my hand...no need to conceal it she such a greedy girlie..don't think it touched the sides :005:.

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 12:53:26 PM »
Thank you everyone for your kind words...it really is appreciated. She still a little unsettled tonight ..keeps jumping and looking at her bum so I imagine she is in a little pain.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is some where I could maybe buy bone meal that I could mix in with her dinner to try and firm up her poos in the hope that it helps keep her glands emptying . I am not sure about giving her raw chicken wings for a few reasons ie she has hardly any teeth for chewing....she tends to just swallow food whole and also suffers from a very sensitive tum so thought maybe ground up bone may be an alternative.

Linzi

It's maybe not ideal but Charlie gets DAF meats - which contain minced up meat, offal and bone - at least that way he's getting bone. I'm not suggesting a switch to raw; but when we first started on raw (and even now) chicken doesn't agree with Charlie. You could always try some of the pets at home varieties to get an idea of what agrees with her and what doesn't, and then if you could always once a week, or twice a week feed her a raw meal with bone to see if it helps?

So if I buy a ready made meal such as you suggest does that contain everything she needs and have bone included...sorry not very bright in this dept lol....have no idea what brands are classed as raw that have the bone quantity that would help her poos...I have no problem giving her foods that are raw if they are already made up and I just have to put it in her dish lol...don't mind what it would cost if it helps...and the good thing is she never ever refuses food no matter what it is. Would even consider this type of food for all meals for both the girls....like I said I just could not buy butcher meat and make it into a dinner

Have to add she cannot eat anything containing beef...runs right through her

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 01:08:15 PM »

Linzi

So if I buy a ready made meal such as you suggest does that contain everything she needs and have bone included...sorry not very bright in this dept lol....have no idea what brands are classed as raw that have the bone quantity that would help her poos...I have no problem giving her foods that are raw if they are already made up and I just have to put it in her dish lol...don't mind what it would cost if it helps...and the good thing is she never ever refuses food no matter what it is. Would even consider this type of food for all meals for both the girls....like I said I just could not buy butcher meat and make it into a dinner

Have to add she cannot eat anything containing beef...runs right through her

Yup, it comes ready made, all you need to do is put it into the bowl :) - Pets at home isn't "as" complete, but it's a brilliant place to start to get an idea of what agrees and what doesn't agree with her.

Manifold Valley Meats (MVM) do 'some' meals with bone, Charlie refused their food though, we use Durham Animal Feeds (DAF) almost all of their foods come with the correct % of meat, offal and bone (the tripe doesn't contain bone or offal - but it's tripe). Some of their meals are a bit bonier than the others, but I just would advise feeding a bonier meal, followed by a less bonier meal.

It might be worth calling one of the above companies, and explaining you don't want to 'bulk' order, and seeing if they can do a sample pack (I have a feeling MVM do - but not sure) - there are more companies; I just can't think of their names at the moment. DAF don't do a sample pack - but they do supply smaller places, so it's ideal to try a few meals if you can buy it loose.

As for cost, I've found the raw is much cheaper. A box of beef (I know it won't agree with Erin - but it's DAFs most expensive box) is £13...for 20 portions, each portion does 3 meals for Charlie...that's 60 meals for £13 (he gets 2 meals a day, so it's £13 for the month) - previously he was getting applaws wet pouches and that was £7 per week for 1 meal - ok that was expensive, but in my experience I've found it to be cheaper (and he enjoys it more).

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 05:30:36 PM »
I have seen applaws in pets at home....so is that classed as raw too and contain bone etc....the other one I saw was nature diet or something like that....again is this a complete raw meal.

Think I need to look more into this and get my head around what is raw as compared to what is just a wet food. Also need to find out if I can use kibble some days and maybe raw on others...is this feasible ?

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 05:43:24 PM »
Also need to find out if I can use kibble some days and maybe raw on others...is this feasible ?

As I'm not completely confident about feeding 100% raw, I feed my girls kibble in the mornings and raw in the evenings.
This seems to suit them very well.  I know others on this forum also do similar.  :D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 05:56:27 PM »
Thanks Vixen..can you tell me which brand you use or do you make it up yourself?

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 07:02:37 PM »
I don't feel confident about getting the right balance of raw ingredients (hence feeding kibble in the mornings) and tend to give a mixture of Prize Choice one day, then raw chicken wings/raw bones the next day and also sardines twice a week for their evening meal.
If you are worried about Erin swallowing a chicken wing whole  >:( you could try holding on to it with pliers  ;)
I used to do that with my two as they tended to just gulp them down.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 07:17:18 PM »
Don't think she would manage a chicken wing....she not got many teeth left :005:....definitely going to look into this more....might just be the way to go. Anything that firms up her poo and then helps the anal glands sounds good to me...poor girl must be fed up with the vet poking around her bum. She has never had a perfect poo...always soft and goes 3-4 times a day whereas Tilly is always perfect ...small and firm and only twice a day.

Thanks to everyone for their help with this...really appreciated

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 07:27:14 PM »
I have seen applaws in pets at home....so is that classed as raw too and contain bone etc....the other one I saw was nature diet or something like that....again is this a complete raw meal.

Think I need to look more into this and get my head around what is raw as compared to what is just a wet food. Also need to find out if I can use kibble some days and maybe raw on others...is this feasible ?

Applaws (Im assuming you mean the wet variety?) and nature diet are not raw. They are cooked wet food. This is what I feed Archie (wainwrights in our case). The raw food in PAH is in the freezer section. I think it is made by Prize Choice http://www.prizechoice.co.uk/ I'm not sure if they are complete meals or not. Hopefully someone who feeds raw will be able to advise. They definitely do contain ground bone though.

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 07:47:47 PM »

u
Applaws  isn't raw.  prize choice ( the pets at home raw)  isn't complete,  however try it to see what agrees with her,  Charlie gets their beef every few days still as it's one of his favorites.

I  used to feed Charlie normal food  for breakfast and  raw for dinner -  you can feed whatever,  just don't feed them together as one meal.

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2013, 07:54:56 PM »
Lol all these different foods can be very confusing especially when I have always fed kibble knowing it is complete. They do get the odd piece of cooked chicken and sardines a couple of times a week though.
Going to do some research and get my head around some of the other choices.