Author Topic: Anal Glands Removal  (Read 1405 times)

Offline kegan1811

Anal Glands Removal
« on: October 01, 2013, 01:27:36 PM »
I have a 5 year old cocker spaniel. For the past three months he has had repeated infections in one of his anal glands. We have been having them emptied every few weeks and also he has been on several courses of antibiotics and pain relief medication. On top of this he has become agitated and also started licking his paws excessively which has been linked to allergies he may have. Our vet has suggested surgery and getting them removed.

What are peoples views on this? I have a real nagging doubt about it but obviously we want our dog pain free and happy.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
Re: Anal Glands Removal
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 01:51:27 PM »
Sorry not to be able to help, but just wanted to say that I hope all goes well for your boy, and that he's pain free and well again soon.   :luv: :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »
Sorry to hear about your poor boy. No experience myself Im afraid but has he been tested for allergies. Maybe something in his food is causing a problem and a simple change of diet might help?

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 03:55:08 PM »
Pearl has had a number of anal gland infections since December.  I've changed her food to cereal free which is certainly helping as she's not had an infection since May!  She is regularly checked (now up to 6 weeks) and always full but no further infections.

She has been flushed and packed once which I believe has helped.

I've also asked the groomer not to empty her glands as the problem seemed to start at much the same time as a new groomer....

My Vet indicated that surgery was the very last resort and to go for another 2-3 flushes before discussing removal as there are risks associated.

Hope your boy improves soon

Jayne
X

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 04:51:51 PM »
I have to agree with Pearly.

Erin has had numerous anal gland infections over the years...she is nearly 8. She has had them flushed on a couple of occasions. It would seem that they are not emptying naturally and we add bran into her breakfast which helps to an extent. After the last bout of infections a few months back where she was treated with 2 lots of antibiotics and glands flushed again we discussed removal with vet and he really was not keen to go down that route. Vet stated it really is a last resort and recommends just regularly

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 09:29:04 PM »
sorry - reply was via phone earlier!

I should also have said that I put Pearl onto a BARF regime for 3 months from February to May during which time she had 3 bouts of infection  ph34r she's always had very firm poo's [sorry to be so blunt :005:] and the bone content was just too much for her although she loved the food and her coat/eyes were lovely and shiny and bright :D  Since moving onto wheat and grain free kibble she is much better although her coat is not so glossy - her poo's are now pretty normal for a dog - I am wondering if the combination of straining to go and a heavy handed groomer was the cause of her problems....

Jayne
x

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 10:07:18 PM »
Ollie had a bout of repeated anal gland infections (antibiotics and packing).  He is kibble fed mostly, but I started adding chicken wings once/ twice a week as well as regular checks.  And the wings seem to have helped - no infections for almost a year and less regular emptying required.  I also have an 8 month old puppy who was constantly scooting.  He had his glands emptied twice, but also had two ear infections. Vet suggested the two could be related to allergies.  So I added chick wings to diet and changed kibble to grain free sensitive.  So far so good - very little scooting and no more ear infections. I'd make sure the gland problems aren't allergy related before contemplating removal.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline kegan1811

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 10:11:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Seems like we should look into his diet. He's been on James Wellbeloved kibble since he was a puppy. Should we be adding something to it or trying an alternative food?

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 10:18:09 PM »
If you've not already done so you could try adding a small amount of bran flakes to his kibble - this was the first recommendation from the Vet.  Given that didn't work for Pearl I then put her onto raw [BARF] which wasn't right for her at that time but I would like to move her over to BARF longer term assuming that she is ok with it. 

She is currently on Skinners Salmon and Rice or Duck and Rice although Barking Heads Salmon and Potato seem to be her preferred variety - I can't get it locally at the moment.  I can tell that she is well as Sunday she was running round like a loon with Toby and Jinley, if she's unwell she is glued to my side and won't go near water ph34r 

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 10:58:55 PM »
Rosie who is 10 has had to have hers emptied twice in the last 4 months, never having had a problem before. We switched to raw feeding just over 12 months ago and her poo has become much smaller on this diet, which is normal. My vet feels that because her poo is not now as bulky as before, she is not now forcing the anal glands to empty. I have now started to give quinoa, which is non cereal, and blitzed veg, to her food. So far so good.

I'm not going to change from feeding her raw as I feel she has done so well on it and the most important, she loves it. Strangely the amount of bone doesn't seem to be a factor, just the size of the poo. If it becomes too chalky or hard I just adjust the amount of bone in the next few meals.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 03:01:36 AM »
Our old boy had it done with no problems afterwards, in fact it brought it home to us just how uncomfortable he must have been as he was such a happier dog and stopped destroying things overnight.

Charlie has had lots of problems with his including abscesses. They are now scarred and cause him discomfort most of the time. His diet is good and mum takes him to have glands emptied every couple of months which seems to have stopped the infections. Of course insurance now won't pay out for operation, if he were my dog I would be thinking of saving up and having the operation done as its horrible watching him trying get at his poor bum all the time  :'(

Millie

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 08:43:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Seems like we should look into his diet. He's been on James Wellbeloved kibble since he was a puppy. Should we be adding something to it or trying an alternative food?

As your vet thinks he may have allergies it could be worth changing his diet. I feed raw as it stopped the problems caused by cereal in William's diet, but there are plenty of different kibbles you could try him on, including many without any grains (including rice) in them. There are also some good quality wet foods available. If you can eliminate foods that he may be intolerant too that might help with his anal glands.