Author Topic: Poor Louis is at the Vet .... Struvite Crystals - UPDATE p 4  (Read 2687 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Poor Louis is at the Vet .... Struvite Crystals
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 09:16:12 AM »
Poor Louis. I hope he doesn't end up having surgery Barbara, but if he does he sounds like he'll be a really good patient.

Fingers crossed that it can all be resolved as quickly as possible :bigarmhug:

Offline linda c

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 07:33:25 PM »
Poor Louis, thought he was doing so well  :luv: He's obviously got a lot of the Struvite gravel which isn't dissolving as well as they thought it would with the urinary diet. Hopefully he won't need surgery, but don't hesitate if it does need doing. Blue came through his operation brilliantly and was back to his old self within a short time  :luv:

My thoughts are with you Barbara I know just what you're going through. :bigarmhug:

Keep us updated  :luv:

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 07:35:58 PM »
Oh no, poor Louis. I really hope he doesn't need surgery. Sending lots of  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 10:08:07 PM »
Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts - he is as bright as a button today and was well enough to go for a haircut (now looking absolutely smashing) - it's just a case of hoping and praying that he doesn't 'block' again and that the special diet gets on with dissolving the gravelly bits so that they are small enough to be passed (or preferably disappear altogether  ph34r)

Will let you know how things go with my special little cuddle monster  :luv:

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 09:13:47 AM »
 :luv: yes indeed fingers and
pawsies crossed!

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2014, 09:37:07 AM »
poor louis, hope he is feeling better soon x x
Run Free my little Laddie xxx

Offline paulsutt

• My beautiful Max 22/11/99 - 18/09/13
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »
..hope he gets well soon

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »
Poor babby. :'(  it must be awful uncomfy. Hopefully it will sort itself out soon x
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline linda c

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
Sounds positive today for Louis  :blink: Lets hope the food works and dissolves those gravelly bits  :D

Thinking positive thoughts for him  :luv:

Offline Sara_Clara

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2014, 03:31:42 PM »
Poor Louis.  I hope he is soon feeling much better.  My beautiful blue roan boy, Harvey who died in 2008 suffered with this from the age of 7years.  He was immediately put on a special Hills kibble from the vets.  Think it was called Hills S/C.  All I remember is that it was expensive  >:(  However, it worked like a treat so not sure if this is any help to you.
Puppy Colour: Chocolate Sable Roan
Puppy DOB: 25.02.24
Puppy Name: Murphy
Mummy Name:  Sara

Offline MOO-MOO

• Smile for the camera Moo!
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2014, 09:27:25 AM »
Hope your little soldier is feeling better.

My Moo-Moo also had trouble with struvite crystals a few years back and was put on the Waltham S/O diet which he ate for a little while but gradually turned his nose up at it.

Did a bit of researching re ingredients and flavours and put him on the Hills c/d diet which has a liver flavour, both wet and kibble and he loves it.

He wolfs it down, no problem  :005:

He has the kibble as 'treats' and occasionally a soggy wet JWB piece of kibble that Chloe misses!
Heather.
Enjoy your big running at Rainbow Bridge Truda with Chloe and Moo Moo 💕💕💕 xx

Offline Sadiebear

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »
the same thing has just happened to Sadie, crystals and all, 3 lots of antibiotics over 3 weeks and she seems fine now. Apparently the worry is that although it may start as a simple cystitis, the infection can travel up to the kidneys and that's not good. Also crystals eventually can form bladder stones, and that was our Vet's main concern. Anyway, antibiotics have settled Sadie down, we just have to keep an eye on her. So Louis should be fine, all the best to him

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2014, 10:50:23 AM »
It is really encouraging to read about cockers that have had this, been treated and are now able to have a full and active life (albeit with special attention to their diet) so thank you to everyone for your words of support and encouragement.  I am hoping that we can avoid surgery but if it has to be, it has to be .....

So far he seems to be ok - if the previous pattern is anything to go by the crunch will come tomorrow - so fingers crossed that I won't wake to find a wet bed in the morning  :D

Offline Linda B

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2014, 02:43:40 PM »
Sorry to hear about Louis having Struvite Crystals...... our Emma had them about 3 years ago.........the vet put her on a special diet which she hated.........so having heard good reports about Burns Chicken and Rice wet and dry and their fish dry food we tried her on that and her tests came back normal........so we have kept her on it and give her dried fish skins as treats.........hope this helps and that Louis gets well soon. 

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2014, 06:01:37 PM »
Somebody on another dog forum that I belong to had the same problem with one of her dogs and was recommended hydrangea tincture by a holistic or homeopathic vet, which worked very quickly. Might be worth looking into http://www.petsperfect.co.uk/products/canine-kd-solution