Author Topic: Which food apart from prescription diet?  (Read 527 times)

Offline rouge coco

Which food apart from prescription diet?
« on: May 06, 2014, 08:27:08 PM »
Rouge was very sick in January with haemorragic gastroenteritis. She had previously been thriving on csj. She could only tolerate Hills prescription food zd for allergies after the sickness. Every time we have tried to wean her off the hills she suffers diarrhoea. I dont really want to keep her on the hills as it doesnt seem a very good food on paper and is very expensive. We have been trying her with symply for sensitive stomachs and after weaning over 3 weeks we thought she was ok but up again last night with diarrhoea again. Not sure if I am posting this in right area so apologise if I havent.
I dont really want to raw feed as my two go to pet sitters regularly whilst my disabled daughter is in hospital and they would not be happy to feed raw. Any ideas? Thank you.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Which food apart from prescription diet?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 11:51:55 AM »
How about Nature Diet sensitive. A wet food, but not raw - so I am sure your pet sitters should not mind this.

Hope you can find something suitable and Rouge feels better soon  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:28:05 PM »
I know hills gets a lot of bad press, but if it is the only thing that suits her digestive system, then I'd be inclined to stick to it (unless for some reason it doesn't provide her with some or other specific nutrient she needs). Not all foods suit all dogs, and not all foods seen as 'the best' suit all dogs either.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline rouge coco

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »
Thank you. Like you say whatever suits her should be more important than what reviews or ingredients say. Was hoping to find something slightly more economical but will stick with what keeps her well. She does suffer more with her anal glands since being on hills though even though her poo is firmer.

Offline Ebony

• Site Member
  • Our darling girl who left us on 28.2.2016
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 09:19:49 PM »
Ebony had Pancreatitis two years ago and has a very sensitive tummy. I discovered a fantastic range of natural food and She's been on that for nearly two years and I'm really happy with it - totally natural and absolutely no additives. They do treats too. The Company is called. Beach Dog Bakery - google it - you won't be disappointed - it's run by a husband and wife team who are really lovely. Hope that helps.

Offline rouge coco

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 07:59:09 PM »
Thank you for that. Will look them up. Hope your doglet is over the pancreatitis....its a horrible thing for them.

Offline Betti

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 09:35:54 PM »
We had similar issues with stomach and diawotzits as well ! My girl was on vet diet for the first 18months of her life and I tried several different brands which were all good quality ( barking heads , bob and lush , skinners ) over a period of several months to make sure we were not adding to the issue by chopping and changing too much . She is now settled on Burns sensitivity duck and brown rice which really suits her - no further issues and two small poops a day !!!!! Its can sometimes be a bit of trial and see what happens .

Offline rouge coco

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 08:58:06 PM »
Yes i am aware that I give things a chance and not change too quickly but horrible to see them with obviously sore tummies. Have heard other people speak well of burns.