Author Topic: Which flea prevention for frequent swimmers, bathers etc  (Read 494 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Which flea prevention for frequent swimmers, bathers etc
« on: July 08, 2014, 03:07:23 PM »
We use front line combo right now, riley I would say goes into the sea on average 3 times each week, he isnt usually 100% submerged but does get soaked legs, ears, only his back mostly isn't soaked through. I read it's good for up to swimming twice a week or bathing that amount but not sure if we should change to something else,  I think I've read something about prac - tic , also thee are tablets that are suitable for frequent bathers , he, s not good at tablets so wondering what's best. Any others in same "boat"  :lol2:

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
Re: Which flea prevention for frequent swimmers, bathers etc
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »
We use Advocate but, given both Milly's and Chaz's love for anything even remotely moist from a bit of mud to the north sea, I checked up on Advocate's resistance to water.

According to our vet tests have been done by the manufacturers who say that, four hours after application, the treatment has been absorbed into the Lipid layer of the dog's skin and is not affected by shampooing, bathing, heavy rainfall or swimming.
Don't know if there are any limitations as to the amount or frequency of bathing but it seems to keep working for us, no fleas so far, right through the rainy season which is most of the year up here, when mud has to be hosed off almost daily  ;).

Bob.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 05:24:12 PM »
We use Advocate but, given both Milly's and Chaz's love for anything even remotely moist from a bit of mud to the north sea, I checked up on Advocate's resistance to water.

According to our vet tests have been done by the manufacturers who say that, four hours after application, the treatment has been absorbed into the Lipid layer of the dog's skin and is not affected by shampooing, bathing, heavy rainfall or swimming.
Don't know if there are any limitations as to the amount or frequency of bathing but it seems to keep working for us, no fleas so far, right through the rainy season which is most of the year up here, when mud has to be hosed off almost daily  ;).

Bob.

Haha, we too are in that North sea, but as Im from "up there" originally I know about such rainfall. Will look into this thanks.

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 09:22:06 PM »
I use a Seresto collar on Penny which lasts about 8months and costs £35. It's not very pretty but given the ticks around here it's the best thing so far. Penny's in the water every day, so not sure we'll get 8 months out of it! Another advantage is it seems to have a broadcast effect, so no ticks on Jonny either, although he doesn't have one.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Catty_G

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 09:29:13 PM »
Our dogs go swimming in a hydro pool frequently and we use Frontline  but they don't swim for 48 hours after application then they (I have been advised) are protected as normal. Hope that helps.  :blink:
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 10:16:41 PM »
Scalibor collar on Pearl removed before swimming paddling and hydrotherapy.  The label says it's ok to be immersed for short periods of time.  Takes c 4 days to be effective and lasts 6 months - sound v similar to the Seresto collar.

We're not long back from Devon, Cornwall and Somerset with no sign of ticks this year  ;)

There is also the natural remedy "Billy No Mates" which is added to food - others on here can advise better about it's properties and benefits :D

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 11:37:01 AM »
We use advocet, just don't get him wet for 24 hours to be on the safe side :)

On a side note, I'll have to look into those collars as we are off to Cornwall on hols next year :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 01:17:28 PM »
We use advocet, just don't get him wet for 24 hours to be on the safe side :)

On a side note, I'll have to look into those collars as we are off to Cornwall on hols next year :)

It was recommended by the Vet as being a good solution for extended trips - it's very slow release  - each collar last 6-8 months although for the price I'd happily change it every couple of months (£12.80 from Pet supermarket or other websites) good value compared to the pipettes plus does seem to be effective.  Pearl had no bites, or rather no reaction to any bites on holiday whereas the little pup had lots of bite marks even though she'd been treated the week before travelling  :'(

I think it also covers sandfly too?

Size Medium is the one I bought.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 01:40:06 PM »
I read on the fronline combo instructions that it says its tested and proved with swimming up to twice per week.
I do like frontline and have not had any bother.

I know always do wait 48 hours but its the small print that has got me wondering.

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 08:23:20 AM »
i use BNM it seems to work for Selby