Author Topic: Why I will never use a collar again  (Read 7512 times)

Offline cockerowner1000

Why I will never use a collar again
« on: December 21, 2014, 02:45:03 PM »
My wife came home to find my dog unable to stand up.  He was completely paralyzed. She took him immediately to the vet.  The vet said when a dog gets older, the discs in its spine can harden and calcify.  When this happens the disc can then protrude into the spinal cord and damage it.  This is what happened to my little 8 year old cocker.

He has been operated on and we await to see if it was successful.

This condition did not happen while he was wearing a collar, but it could have done.  If I had known this I would never have used a collar.  If he makes it he will never wear a collar again.  That's my vet's advice.

Why are they allowed to sell collars?

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Re: Why I will never use a collar again
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 03:10:08 PM »
Im so sorry to hear about your little dog, hoping he pulls through and recovers.
I might be ignorant here and dont mean to offend, but how is the collar wearing relevant? sorry I just dont understand.

Presumably you wont have to wear a collar as long as you wear a harness on your dog with a id tag etc.

Offline cockerowner1000

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 03:19:45 PM »
The hardened disc that moved in his spine and damaged his spinal cord was in his neck.  That is why he could not use either back or front legs.  Anything that increases the pressure on his neck can help to dislodge a hardened disc, like when he pulls on a collar.

The risk of a hardened disc increases in an old dog, but I don't see any point in putting pressure on a dog's neck at any time when a harness can do the job.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 03:56:28 PM »
The hardened disc that moved in his spine and damaged his spinal cord was in his neck.  That is why he could not use either back or front legs.  Anything that increases the pressure on his neck can help to dislodge a hardened disc, like when he pulls on a collar.

The risk of a hardened disc increases in an old dog, but I don't see any point in putting pressure on a dog's neck at any time when a harness can do the job.

Oh how awful, hope your little one recovers soon.
I always use a harness, he wears a collar but could never walk him on that as he pulls like a train.

Offline annclare

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 03:57:20 PM »
My father used to say dog collars were only for clergymen!

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 04:15:59 PM »
Have always used collars on all my dogs over the years and never had a problem.
So sorry to hear about your poor dog - hope the surgery works and he will be ok.  8 is too young to be so poorly.
Fingers crossed for you.

I always thought harnesses were bad for dogs as they encourage them to pull?
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline cockerowner1000

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »
Like most dog owners where I live, I have always used a collar when walking my dog (a black working cocker with a white bib).  Unusually for a cocker he is thick set and he looks like he has a strong neck.  He sometimes pulls when he sees something that excites him like a bird, but stops when I say heel. 

I trained him not to pull by stopping and waiting when until he stops pulling - it worked well.  He has grown up to be a very good and gentle dog and is never any trouble.  He is normally off lead in the fields by our house, never goes far and always comes back to a call - he never lets me out of his sight.  So he is never on a lead for very long.

The spinal disc hardening is something I think all dog owners should be aware of and I don't know why it is not more widely publicized  by vets.

The vet has said he has a 50/50 chance and we hope to know in the next few days whether he will be able to walk again.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 05:32:53 PM »
I am sorry to hear that your dog is so unwell and I really hope that he pulls through.

I think that the possible risks of dog collars must be minimal though when you consider how many millions are worn every day of the year.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 06:06:03 PM »
Thank you for posting this. It is certainly something which I was unaware of. Food for thought indeed. Rather like Jane57 I use a harness for Buster because if he either pulls hard or dashes towards something it doesn't damage his throat. I hadn't thought about the discs at the back of the neck though.

Offline kate2

• ** Kiwi & Lilly ** 4yr old WCS girls
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 09:44:36 AM »
I phoned a couple of dog trainers a while back with a view to getting some training for our two, the first one said they "must" wear a collar and lead in class, I said they were in (normal) harnesses and was told I was only using harnesses "because they pull" (they don't, and the harnesses wouldn't stop it anyway) and when I said no, it was because I didn't want to risk them damaging themselves if they did take off she said "spaniels have very strong necks"!
Needless to say I made my excuses and put the phone down!

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 12:22:08 PM »
Sorry about your little friend
I have never used a collar for years, but nor for that reason, I didn't know of such a thing; but because I have always had a dread of the collar getting stuck on something whilst I was not round & when walking if they pull it chokes them.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline JackieT

• Ziggy - working cocker
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 12:59:33 PM »
I'm so sorry about your dog, really hope he is ok.

Can I clarify, as a new dog owner - so people do not put collars on their dogs AT ALL? I use a harness for walking on the lead, because I'm trying to teach him not to pull. But he has a collar with his ID tag on it, which he keeps on most of the time - I take it off at night when he goes to bed because he sleeps in a crate, but otherwise its always on. Is this a problem?

My husband isn't great at putting the harness on - mainly because he almost exclusively walks him off the lead, so its just getting him out to the car and then possibly from the car to place he's allowed off lead if its a car park. Should I force him to do it all the time? He does pull on the lead and it does choke him occasionally, which is why I bought the harness, but he hates having the harness put on and taken off so I think my husband doesn't bother if its only for a short period. What does everyone else do?  (He's 21 weeks and a worker btw).

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
What does everyone else do?

My dogs have always had collars with tags, as well as a microchip. I think you will find the new dog laws state that dogs must have collar and tags whilst out. 

Most training schools and trainers prefer a secure collar and lead be used in training, and  if you are thinking of doing Good Citizen, I believe it is a requirement there too. (the tag certainly is)

The OP's dog has been most unfortunate, but I have no plans in the near future to change from having collars on my dogs. This  a purely personal choice and I'm not trying to sway folks either way.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 02:00:15 PM »
Also it should be noted that the op clearly states that his dog wearing a collar had nothing to do with with its condition.

I don't think that it is time to stop using collars because one vet doesn't like them.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 03:43:57 PM »
Sorry to hear about your poor dog - hope he gets better very soon.  :-\

It is actually a legal requirement for all dogs to wear a collar with a tag on it.  Some people are happy to clip the lead to it and some prefer to use a harness. It is a case of personal preference.  I don't see how this case can be blamed on wearing a collar and judging by the millions of dogs that wear a collar and lead without a problem, would definitely not advocate anyone stops using one if it works for them. :dunno: 

Coco wears a collar and lead unless we are going somewhere busy and extra exciting, when I use a harness ( she tends to pull when she is excited). If a dog has a spinal or neck problem of any sort, I would think it would certainly be wise to use a harness though  ;)
Julie and Watson