Author Topic: hibiscrub then thornits  (Read 1676 times)

Offline lilliegez

hibiscrub then thornits
« on: April 10, 2015, 09:04:29 PM »
hi all my girl has lip trouble so I am gonna try the hibiscrub/thornits powder solution.  thing is I was wondering first of all if I dab her lower lip with the thornit powder how does it stay on the lip, and also is it ok to use on lower lip as surely some will be ingested. thanks

Offline tenaille

Re: hibiscrub then thornits
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 10:10:39 PM »
Hi,
Beau has just got over a bout of lipfold bacterial infection.  He was on antibiotics plus Hibiscrub, then Fuciderm. Eventually on the vets advice we stopped the Hibiscrub as it seemed to inflame things, and started Manuka honey instead, and it cleared.
Never thought of Thornits to be honest, thought it was just for ears.
It was so hard to shift the infection that we are resigned to the lipfold nip'n'tuck operation if it comes back.

Offline lilliegez

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 04:04:15 PM »
manuka honey sounds nice, did you just rub on the lips

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 05:41:43 PM »
How did you stop Beau licking the honey off ?

M

Offline lilliegez

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 07:01:29 PM »
this was I was thinking, my girl would love honey. 

Offline tenaille

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 10:51:50 PM »
Yes, he was still on the antibiotics, the honey was applied after washing with mild saltwater (the infection was most noticeable just below his lower lips in the fur.  Hairs were coming out on the cotton swabs when we cleaned the area.
We put the honey on with a cotton swab also, just smearing it over all the sore affected areas.  To be honest we didn't notice him licking it off and it sure smelled better.
Be sure to use the pharmaceutical grade 15+ honey,  its not cheap (around £30 from Holland&Barratt) but it worked for us, we still clean him each morning to prevent a recurrence.

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 08:50:53 AM »
Just used thornits for five days once a day with Troy for same problem and he's 100% better. Washed with warm water first then dabbed it in with cotton wool. He didn't attempt to ingest it and it sort of dissolved into the skin.
Nicole xxxx :-)

Offline tenaille

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 10:20:52 AM »
Thats interesting, I think I'll try that with Beau to see how it goes.  We are desperate to avoid re infection as the Pseudomonas bacteria he had was extremely difficult to shift as its very resistant to antibiotics.
I think he'll be having the lipfold op in the summer when we are back in the UK.

Offline lilliegez

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 05:48:08 PM »
I came across a product online for dogs called ANIWELL ACTIVE MANUKA HONEY CREAM, on viovet website.  I emailed them to ask if the product can be used safely on lips of dog and they said yes so I might give it a try.

Offline tenaille

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 06:19:31 PM »
Yes, that looks the business.  You could try the small tube which is quite cheap and see how it goes.  We got the large jar of the honey (not the cream) in our rush but at least we can finish it on toast !!

Offline carol pearson

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 01:38:05 PM »
I used manuka honey on eczema on my legs after nothing else seemed to work  and it cleared it up in a couple of days. So when Ozzy started having problems with his lip folds I just thought I would try the honey and worked. I think you have to make sure it is the real manuka honey and at least 15+. I get mine on line from The Honey Doctor.

Offline lilliegez

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 07:15:07 PM »
just had a look on honey doctor site, there is a product called HONEYGAR, 80% apple cider vinegar/20% raw natural honey.   sounds another great product.