Author Topic: Low thyroid levels  (Read 600 times)

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
Low thyroid levels
« on: September 16, 2015, 02:05:48 PM »
i have been concerned over Jodie's general condition her coat has gone to being really cotton wool fluffy & had a run of crusty ears & her stamina has dropped when I have been doing agility.

But all very subtle as Jodie has other health conditions I decided to pop her back to my vet to have a good chat with him & he felt tho she was very fit & seemed quite lively her ear problems & my feeling that she has dropped in stamina leaned towards her possibly having a under active thyroid so blood test were done.

It has been confirmed that Jodie's thyroid is low so we are going to treat for 4 weeks and review.

Never had a dog with thyroid issues so any advice is it something that can be corrected as a one off or is it something that will have to be managed long term with medication
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Low thyroid levels
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 04:08:27 PM »
Not had a dog with a thyroid prob but I have one (born without thyroid gland) and I think it may be the same in dogs as humans that once it is diagnosed -  it is usually a 'for life' condition. It normally can be controlled by giving thyroid tablets (in humans at least, I was 3 months old when diagnosed and turned 65 years last week so don't give up hope) and I would think it is easier to treat an underactive thyroid than an overactive.

Hope she is feeling better soon
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 06:33:05 PM »
Thanks I start her tablets tonight so fingers crossed it will start to improve Jodie within a few weeks.

It was interesting that Jodie's ear problem crusty shin was due to lack of good blood circulation which can be due to low thyroid levels
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 06:40:17 PM »
Thanks I start her tablets tonight so fingers crossed it will start to improve Jodie within a few weeks.

It was interesting that Jodie's ear problem crusty shin was due to lack of good blood circulation which can be due to low thyroid levels

It is quite amazing actually how much the thyroid has control of in the body, it can also have a major effect on weight  and metabolism - but usually once settled on the right dose you should see improvements. There are quite a few things on thyroid probs in dogs, I googled and there is quite a selection.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 02:13:48 PM »
My parents Labrador Mia has an under active thyroid which was diagnosed about 3 years ago after she gained lots of weight and became very lethargic.  We really struggled at first to get the levels correct in the tablets and she did have to have lots of trips to the vet and blood tests after different batches of tablets to see which dosage was correct.  Once all that was sorted and she settled onto the tablets though the difference was amazing.  She lost weight and her coat improved massively (although now when she malts - she malts excessively and it will literally come off in handfuls!!!) she also got her energy levels back.  She's now 10 1/2, loves a good run and a swim in the sea and still manages to occasionally keep up with Pippa and Rory :005: You'd never know she has the problem.  Hope Jodie is feeling better soon :D
Emma, Pippa & Rory x