Author Topic: "Scooting" but anal glands are empty?  (Read 728 times)

Offline lesley3165

"Scooting" but anal glands are empty?
« on: April 16, 2016, 08:05:46 PM »
Could anyone offer me any advice what could be wrong with Meg. She has recently started "scooting" numerous times throughout the day. Her anal glands are empty so I am at a loss to explain her behaviour.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: "Scooting" but anal glands are empty?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 09:05:51 PM »
Worms?
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »
The scooting may be due to another area irritating Meg.
I have had this problem with Maddie. I asked the breeder about it when she was younger and she thought maybe there was a bit of stool stuck inside her. She suggested wearing plastic gloves and using a baby wipe gently inserting my finger inside her and wiping the area. It did seem to work.
She still scoots though and I think her urethra is itchy as the area becomes very red as she licks it alot. So I wipe the area twice a day with a baby wipe then put sudacrem on. I also wipe round her anus daily.
The problem may actually be due to yeast  but at the moment I manage to keep it under control by wiping her.
Hope that helps. Lovely topic of conversation!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline lesley3165

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 07:32:16 AM »
She was wormed 4 weeks ago so I'd dismissed that possibility. (The wormer we get from the vet is for every 3 months) I'll try wiping her in that area and see if it improves. Thanks for your suggestions.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 06:31:43 PM »
Some baby wipes are perfumed which could irritate her even more x