Author Topic: White bib thinning?  (Read 383 times)

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
White bib thinning?
« on: July 15, 2016, 06:08:34 PM »
Wondering if the collective wisdom can help?

Bonnie (14 months) has a beautiful silky soft coat. She's not spayed and fed a mostly raw/natural diet. Over the past few weeks, her white bib has been getting thinner and thinner, and I can now clearly see the pink skin (and black spots) through it. It was never very thick before anyway, but there's definitely a difference. She used to have a go-faster strip down her spine, but the girl at day care took thinning scissors to it when she was sorting out some ugly matted bits on BonBon's ears.

Given the rest of her coat is lovely, and there's no obvious health issues (still an affectionate fruit loop), any ideas? Is it age, or seasonal thing?

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: White bib thinning?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 07:28:31 PM »
I'm not an expert on this, this is just my thoughts. On my third cocker, two were dark blue roans, one was a light roan. It seems to me that the black hair is more vigorous than the White. The light roan had a much thinner coat than the two darker ones. The darker ones have a very thick coat, especially the black hair. Given that it is summer and their coats are getting thinner for the warmer weather, could this be a reason?  I never had to trim my light boy as much as I do the darker ones.

Just my experience, be interesting to hears what others think.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
Re: White bib thinning?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 09:03:23 PM »
I did wonder if it was a winter coat thing, she's definitely smoother all over the last few weeks, very glossy shiny black coat. There's definitely more shedding too, so it could be like you say- the white is less thick anyway so it's more obvious when it naturally thins down.

Although knowing this girl, it could be she's sort of shaving it off as she jumps over any obstacle in her way....