Author Topic: Which Frontline  (Read 758 times)

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
Which Frontline
« on: January 09, 2017, 10:30:11 AM »
I just used my last Frontline combo which I had bought from the vets.  I used to use Nextguard Spectra but after all investigations  biopsies in Hamish's intestine resulting on him now being fed on Burns Hypoallergenic Pork and potato food I used front line for the last 2 months so I wasnt  taking a chance on upsetting his tummy.  I decided to look and so what was available now I see Frontline spot on. frontline plus and frontline combo.  I take it the combo version needs a prescription.  I am trying not to fill the vets coffers any more than I need to as a £2000 vet bill over 2 months and a price of around £30 from a two months supply of combo prompted me to look at this. 
(Thank DAWG from insurance)

What I am asking is frontline plus effective enough.  What does combo give me I wont get from the plus version apart from a hole in my pocket.   
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
Re: Which Frontline
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 01:16:30 PM »
 Our cat had fleas when we visited the vet and I told her I'd used Frontline just a week or so previous.  She told me they don't use Frontline any longer as fleas have become resistant to it.  She gave us Stronghold for the cat and we use Bravecto for Blue.

Offline tenaille

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 01:55:57 PM »
same here, our French vet doesn't even stock Frontline any more

Offline fenby

• Donator
  • Harvey
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 02:03:11 PM »
Same here, our vet no longer uses Frontline.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 02:26:11 PM »
Dog was full of fleas after we picked her up after summer holiday. She had been treated with Frontline before.  Another application didn't shift them , and the house was spray bombed .  Vet said Frontline no longer is effective. He gave us a new type of tablet,  which has both good and worrying reviews. I risked it and all is well.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 08:24:36 PM »
I used to use frontline combo on my previous cocker. I was told by the vet that it was no longer effective and he was changed onto stronghold. That was nearly 10 years ago so I'm really surprised it is still sold. I prefer not to use a chemical treatment now and usually stick to Billy No Mates but Archie has recently been under treatment for itchy skin (with very bad, infected sores caused by him licking constantly at one spot). The vet wanted to give him Bravecto (possibly what Phoenix is referring to?). It has some very bad reviews and reports of dogs dying. It stays in their system for 3 months and I was really not happy to try it. The vet insisted it was the only thing that killed one specific type of mite that might be the cause. She found a different version of the same drug called simparica which only lasts 5 weeks. I relented and he had that with no ill effects. Didn't cure the itch though.   >:(
I won't be using it again as I'm happy that Billy No Mates does a good job of repelling them when there isn't a high risk of infestation. I will happily use something stronger if there is a visible problem.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 09:54:08 PM »
It was  Simparica .  I've just used my third tablet, all ok. I dread giving it, butter fighting the pests for two months and poisoning the house as well, I had to go with it.  Poor dog had been having flea shampoos every few days too. There were always six new dead fleas, but the eggs obviously kept surviving .
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 04:51:33 PM »
It was  Simparica .  I've just used my third tablet, all ok. I dread giving it, butter fighting the pests for two months and poisoning the house as well, I had to go with it.  Poor dog had been having flea shampoos every few days too. There were always six new dead fleas, but the eggs obviously kept surviving .

It certainly doesn't seem to have any negative effects. I accidentally dropped the second one I gave him on the floor before I had a chance to hide it in a treat. He snaffled it up straight away so it certainly appealed to him! I would use it again if fleas become a problem.

It's a nightmare when they are infested. When Archie got covered in them back in the summer (I posted about it at the time - visit to brother with 10 cats!) I used Indorex in the house (it lasts up to a year apparently so although very expensive it works out Ok) and stronghold on Archie. I also gave him 4fleas which is available over the counter, can be used in conjunction with all other fleas treatments and kills fleas within 15 mins. It was fabulous stuff. I will always keep it  in the house for emergencies in case I spot a rogue.

Offline James+Carly

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 10:05:07 PM »
Our breeder who we got Oscar from advised us to spray the dog with lavender water instead of treatment. We thought it was a bit odd and never actually tried it, however - I have since read that dog owners do this.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 07:35:38 AM »
Our breeder who we got Oscar from advised us to spray the dog with lavender water instead of treatment. We thought it was a bit odd and never actually tried it, however - I have since read that dog owners do this.

That sounds lovely! (whether it works or not  :005:)