Author Topic: Burns Or Arden Grange?  (Read 3544 times)

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Burns Or Arden Grange?
« on: August 08, 2005, 02:44:14 PM »
We're nearly down to the last of the Pro-Plan that Bella has been eating and are now getting ready to change her food.

We have small samples of Burns and Arden Grange as well as another all Natural food (I can't remember what it's called, it was from something like the Natural Food Company?).

We were intending to change Bella over to Burns because I've heard a lot of good reports on it, it is natural and they don't test on animals - however, I think Bella prefers Arden Grange - it's difficult to judge as she eats practically anything and she does eat the Burns but I put out 3 little piles earlier, one of each sample, and she ate the Arden Grange first, the Natural Food Co. one second and then the Burns but she did eat all three :blink:

I later repeated the exercise and she did exactly the same thing again. We have also used the samples as training treats and she does seem to work harder for the Arden Grange.

I've just been back and looked at the old food poll and only 5 people said they feed Arden Grange - why is this? Why is Burns so great? is it better or equal to Arden Grange?

I don't think it can be accessability as Arden Grange seems to be easier to get hold of than Burns :unsure:

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
Burns Or Arden Grange?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 02:49:42 PM »
I can't comment as Sophie is still on the dreaded Iams  :angry:  

I am not sure if it is ok to move her from this as she has an underactive thyroid and I don't know if the analysis of other foods may disrupt this?  Perhaps one of our medical know how COL'ers could enlighten me on this!  :rolleyes:

I would prefer her to be on Burns or James Wellbeloved simply because they only use natural ingredients and do no animal testing........unlike Iams.  :angry:

I have not heard of Arden Grange?  But I am sure I have heard of the Natural Food Company somewhere, although I can't find it online at present.

Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Burns Or Arden Grange?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 02:55:02 PM »

From what you've said I'd give Arden Grange a try. Just because Burns is popular with a lot of forum members doesn't mean it is the best food for your dog. All dogs are different.

I tried my two on Burns recently - Jimmy thrived on it but Misty didn't. She started losing weight at an alarming rate, her coat lost it's sheen and although she always finished the bowl she didn't eat it with any real gusto. It just didn't seem to agree with her.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Burns Or Arden Grange?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 03:00:57 PM »
I agree with Colin, give the Arden Grange a try - its readily available. In fact Im thinking of switching as although I personally prefer Burns because of the weight control aspect, Alfie doesnt actually like it although he eats in in the end
Caroline and Alfie

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Burns Or Arden Grange?
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 03:23:20 PM »
Thanks guys :D

That's the way I was heading, I just needed a bit of reassurance I guess :ph34r:

I want to do the best for Bella and I have been given the impression that that meant giving her Burns but have found that there are other 'healthy' options from companies that don't test on animals.

I've got to admit the look and smell of Arden Grange seems more appealing even to me, the Burns seems quite dry and (I can't really explain this very well) sort of like a puff (bit like a wotsit?) whereas the Arden Grange is denser and moist, something to get her teeth into I think, it also has a stronger smell and with Bella, the smellier the better :P

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Burns Or Arden Grange?
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 03:26:16 PM »
I can't comment as Sophie is still on the dreaded Iams  :angry:   

I am not sure if it is ok to move her from this as she has an underactive thyroid and I don't know if the analysis of other foods may disrupt this?  Perhaps one of our medical know how COL'ers could enlighten me on this!  :rolleyes:

I would prefer her to be on Burns or James Wellbeloved simply because they only use natural ingredients and do no animal testing........unlike Iams.  :angry:

I have not heard of Arden Grange?  But I am sure I have heard of the Natural Food Company somewhere, although I can't find it online at present.
[snapback]140006[/snapback]

The main reason for us changing from Pro-Plan is because of the animal testing as to be honest she does like it and seems to be doing well on it.

I would ring the Burns or Arden Grange helpline and ask their advice on the underactive thyroid, I don't know but I would imagine that healthier food with no additives etc would be better if anything?

I tried Bella on JWB but she didn't like it that much, she did eat it but slowly, and it gave her softer poo's and rather smelly bottom burps! :ph34r:

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Burns Or Arden Grange?
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 03:29:13 PM »
I agree with Colin, give the Arden Grange a try - its readily available. In fact Im thinking of switching as although I personally prefer Burns because of the weight control aspect, Alfie doesnt actually like it although he eats in in the end
[snapback]140011[/snapback]

Caroline I meant to say, was it you I saw on Saturday at the Wag and Bone show - you were talking to a lady (sorry can't remember her name) with George and I was carrying my little tired out Bella? If it was you, I didn't realise, sorry :ph34r:

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Burns Or Arden Grange?
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 05:13:35 PM »
Jilly

I think you have to go what you think is right for Bella. You know her better than we do. I use Burns and have put Libby onto that as Phoebe has been on it for some time. However, with Phoebe I mix a small amount of Nature diet into it to make it more appealing. We don't do this with Libby. Libby is a greedy guts and will eat anything!!!! Saying that, she eats much more than it recommends but she's not tubby just legging at the mo.

The Burns is available from a local friendly pet store but the Arden I would have to get over t'internet so I just haven't got round to trying it either. (Don't want to swap and change the food)

Good luck with chossing - its not easy!

By the way - if anyone has any ideas about how to slow Libby down when she's eating please suggest something!!!! I'm sure she doesn't breath until she's eaten it all.

Thanks
Anita

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
Burns Or Arden Grange?
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 07:24:09 PM »
hello
i no a couple of member on col who use arden grange
we also use arden grange an the dogs love it and its not the pricey :)

Penel

Burns Or Arden Grange?
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 02:28:57 PM »
I can't comment as Sophie is still on the dreaded Iams  :angry:   

I am not sure if it is ok to move her from this as she has an underactive thyroid and I don't know if the analysis of other foods may disrupt this?.
[snapback]140006[/snapback]

Hi - I did wonder when I read your other thread about her being depressed, if she was hypothyroid - and then I read this to see that she *is* !  this will explain the depression - have you had her thyroid levels checked lately - is she on enough Soloxine ?
I am sure it will be fine to change her from Iams to one of the others - just swap her over gradually.

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
Burns Or Arden Grange?
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 02:39:28 PM »
Hi Penel!

She is on 0.2mg of Soloxine twice a day - which she takes like a little angel!!

But it is just a repeat prescription that I get her every 4-5 weeks.  Never thought of getting her levels checked, I just assumed that was something that the vet would check at the time of issuing the repeat prescription!  :huh:
Aileen & Beau xx

Offline Annabella

• Site Member
Burns Or Arden Grange?
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 03:07:00 PM »
hi

ty is on arden grange and has been since he was weaned, he seems to like it and i know what you mean about the smell of it - not bad at all!! the company has been very freindly when iv rung up to oder some and its gets delivered in two days - so no lugging it back from the shops! bonus!!

love anna xox

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
Burns Or Arden Grange?
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 03:24:22 PM »
God I hate Iams now after reading all that info on them  :angry:

I am dying to try Sophie on something else, but I didn't want to if it was going to clash with her hormone medication.  

Arden Grange sounds good, and I managed to find a few suppliers on the web.  They sell big bags of JWB in a store near me too, so that is another option.

I have my 13yr old pussycat on JWB for cats and she loves it!    :P
Aileen & Beau xx

Offline Curtisio

• Site Member
Burns Or Arden Grange?
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 03:39:21 PM »
Which one though? there's loads  :blink:
Paul - Kyro - Daisy & Cookie (cats)

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member