Author Topic: Tummy upset, but Fraser not bouncing back  (Read 9355 times)

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Tummy upset, but Fraser not bouncing back
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 09:34:52 PM »
I hope you get some answers soon. I know what you mean about the lethargy being so worrying. My dogs with Giardia didn’t have diarrhoea - they were vomiting. The youngest who was the most poorly only developed the diarrhoea after being at the vets. And even then there was no blood in it. So you just can’t tell sometimes. The one weird symptom they all had suddenly was not wanting to eat. They all actually stepped away from their food as if it was going to hurt them?! A way, good idea to take a sample for testing. Fingers crossed for Fraser and a speedy recovery from whatever nasty thing he has.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 05:50:17 AM »
Personally, I would get it ruled out, just for peace of mind.  Text book symptoms might just not be Fraser's thing.

I think most of our Cockers from time to time are not "in the Book" , personally I would get the test done.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 09:34:22 AM »
Personally, I would get it ruled out, just for peace of mind.  Text book symptoms might just not be Fraser's thing.

I think most of our Cockers from time to time are not "in the Book" , personally I would get the test done.

:005: True, they do like to live by their own rules.

Offline tritonx

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 06:04:57 PM »
Well, I think maybe Fraser is making the turn to more normal boy. On last night's walk there was more trot than plod and he did do a burst of speed after a bird. He's interested in food and treats, peeing and pooping normally. I still have an appointment for 3 this afternoon, but I'll take him out for a walk in a few minutes and see how he behaves. If he's looking like he has more energy, then I'll hold off seeing the vet. There's still tomorrow to take him in if things don't seem right. I've never seen him affected like this by a tummy upset, for so long, so it's been puzzling. I'll see how it goes today.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2019, 07:13:52 PM »
Definitely sounds like he is doing better.  I suppose, like us, some tummy bugs are harder to shift than others.

Offline tritonx

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2019, 08:09:13 PM »
Walk went well. There was more trot than walk, so I think perhaps we're on the path to returning good health. What a relief. Thanks for all your support. It really does help.

p.s. mind you, I had to dislodge a large dried dog (I think) poop from his mouth. Don't know why he does this, but it can't be good for him and possibly the source of whatever afflicted him in the last week. Disgusting animal. Good thing they're so beautiful and lovable.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 09:39:48 PM »
 :005: :005: :005:  Grotty boy!  They can be absolute mingers when the notion takes them!  :020:  Sounds like he is on the mend, good news indeed.

Offline tritonx

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 04:05:22 AM »
The saga continues. This morning, Fraser was plodding again on his walk, trailing behind me. Wasn’t ready to jump out of bed at wake up time. Just waited still lying down until I left the bedroom and then he followed. It being Friday, I decided I just didn’t want to risk going into the weekend with Fraser still not back to normal, so took him in to the vet. Fraser’s temperature was high normal, on the cusp. It was clear that the vet was running through all the possibilities. We talked about giardia, but the vet said his stool would show some signs of abnormality, which it doesn’t. Heart and lung seemed to be okay, though Fraser always whines when he’s at the vets so it’s hard for them to hear past the whining. He listened to his stomach noises and said that they indicated continuing upset in that region and when he palpated his abdomen, Fraser started to cry. Strange noise, like a rough whine/wail. I haven’t heard him make that sound before, so it seemed to indicate distress. Vet said it could be a reaction to one of the meds. Upshot was treating the symptoms—acetaminophen (Tylenol here, paracetamol in the UK) for pain and an antacid to settle his tum. I did take in a stool sample, but I don’t know if he tested it.

So, I don’t know. I thought by now we’d be on a path to returning health with a clear diagnosis. I’m just hoping he doesn’t get worse on the weekend which will throw me into a quandary about what I should do.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 10:14:21 AM »
That is a bit of a mystery, I hope the vet tests the sample, even just for peace of mind. Poor Fraser, and poor you, it is a worry for you. Xx

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2019, 03:01:41 PM »
Hope you get some answers soon. Has he been tested fir pancreatitis? Also, if bet not interested in testing for Giardia, do you have something like wormcount over there? I sent samples to them and they had results within a day of receiving them. Saves a vet visit and they test for worms and lungworm as well.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline tritonx

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2019, 05:18:38 PM »
Fraser is still very tired this morning. Stirred when I got up and when I left the bedroom, I thought he would follow, but he didn't. Went back to find him sitting in his bed. He came when I called, then went outside for a pee, but then went back inside. What I can't figure out is he wanted his food, ate it all. He's been eating normally through all of this. Peeing and pooping what look like normal poops. I gave him his Tylenol in a small ball of cream cheese and he's actively keen on that, licks the cheese off my fingers. So his appetite is normal. Last Sunday when he had blood tests, the vet said no pancreatitis. I thought I saw a worm like thing in the fecal sample I took in, but he had a worming pill in January. Really, the only clues are his lack of energy and a lot of gut sounds. How can such a healthy dog get to this state without a clear cause. The only time he's thrown up are the two times in the middle of Saturday night and some foamy stuff in the vet's examination room on Sunday morning. Nothing since.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2019, 05:57:30 PM »
That is decidedly weird, is he eating what he would normally have, is he on a special 'poorly dog' diet?  You have probably said, but did the vet do a proper test for pancreatitis, or just by checking his tummy?  The reason for asking is with our previous dog Bertie, pancreatitis was ruled out initially, but after return visits, and a blood tests (I think) he was found to have severe pancreatitis.  He was still eating, peeing and pooping normally.  Bertie did also have other issues, but purely on the side of pancreatitis, it is not always obvious. 

Offline tritonx

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2019, 07:26:54 PM »
In light of what you've said about pancreatitis, I think on Monday I'll ask the vet to check again. Last Sunday the vet did do blood tests and from what he said, pancreatitis was his first guess at what might be going on, but apparently it didn't show up in the test. Fraser is eating his usual food which is Royal Canin brand s/o Uninary dog food that he was put on after crystals showed up in his urine a couple of years ago. Not sure what the S/O stands for, but I have to be sure to look for that designation when I get food for him.

Just to throw a wrench into this morning's observation of how droopy he was, I'm just back from walkies during which he trotted along quite cheerfully and was even feeling bright enough to argue with me over the route he wanted to go that was different from the one I was on. And, I had to dig the same dried poop out of his mouth with a stick as the one he tried to eat yesterday or the day before. They always remember where food is even though we forget. So, he was well enough to be annoying. I did give him the Tylenol and antacid a short while before we went out, so maybe they had kicked in enough to make him feel better. Aaargh.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2019, 07:32:31 PM »
Do you have the results of the fecal sample yet , is it possible that he has been infected ?

I agree with ejp, Bea has presented with a slightly tender tummy but her Blood test was very high, oddly my vet said that high numbers do not necessarily equate to severity, her usual sign is bringing up yellowish foam and black in her poo.

I really hope he is back to normal soon.

I think S/O stands for the type of crystals found, my cat had Struvite crystals and was put on a special diet.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2019, 07:43:31 PM »
Fraser is not making this mystery any easier to solve!  :005: And yes, they do remember where the delicacy they previously located little grotbags!  It will be interesting to see if the stool sample shows anything.