Author Topic: Tummy upset, but Fraser not bouncing back  (Read 9359 times)

Offline tritonx

Re: Tummy upset, but Fraser not bouncing back
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2019, 07:57:55 PM »
I don't think the vet is in on a Saturday though other staff is there. I called this morning when Fraser was so low energy and the technician said he'd let the vet know when he called in. Asked him to find out if the poop sample had been tested though I had the impression yesterday when I was in that they weren't all that interested in it. Nobody has called back yet though it's only approaching 1 p.m. I'm beginning to feel like I am 75% of the interactions they have with patients, but that's what they're paid very large fees for. No doubt Fraser is my beloved boy and I might be more anxious than I should be, but it's the mystery of the situation that's got me rattled. Fraser has seemed to bounce back before and then return to lassitude. The foam he produced last Sunday at the vets was white and his poop has no black in it. Mind you, he hasn't pooped yet today. He had two large ones yesterday evening so he cleared his gut? I don't know, but he usually poops in the morning when he goes out to the garden or on his morning walk, but nothing yet. All of this is so-o much like having a toddler.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2019, 08:28:47 PM »
The way I look at it, I am a paying customer at the vets, and if I want them to test a poop sample and I am willing to pay for it, why would they not.  Over the years I have provided them with a decent amount of custom, and have not grudged one single penny as my dogs are so important to me.  At the end of the day, they are a business, so you are not being unreasonable.  I will get off my high horse now  ph34r

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2019, 08:55:29 PM »
The way I look at it, I am a paying customer at the vets, and if I want them to test a poop sample and I am willing to pay for it, why would they not.  Over the years I have provided them with a decent amount of custom, and have not grudged one single penny as my dogs are so important to me.  At the end of the day, they are a business, so you are not being unreasonable.  I will get off my high horse now  ph34r

Absolutely agree!! I think we often allow ourselves to feel a bit intimidated at the vets but it has to be remembered that they need us (and our money) as much as we need them. Do hope you can get some answers soon and that Fraser‘s feeling better!

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2019, 06:38:33 AM »
If I don't get the service at a shop that I expect, I go elsewhere and that's when I'm just looking for Shoe's !

When it comes to my girl I'm always polite but persistent if I need to be, he is your dog you know him better than anyone else, they should be listening to you.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 07:43:47 AM »
Very worrying, it doesn’t sound like guardian to me, I would go back to the vet.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline tritonx

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2019, 08:55:45 PM »
Well, the decision was taken out of my hands as he had diarrhoea last night and then this morning was straining with more diarrhoea. When I looked under this tail, there was a fleshy bulge. I phoned another vet clinic, the only one that's open in my small town on the weekend, and got him in. He had an anal gland abscess, so that's all cleaned out. Lot of puss and other gland was close to impacted. So, regular anal gland expressions are in his future as part of routine. Don't want this happening again. However, it's not directly clear whether the anal gland issue was the cause of Fraser's illness or something that's come along in addition. He didn't have a clear fever in previous vet visits, there was no mention of anal gland emerging problem in the 2 visits last week, the most recent on Friday. The vet this morning is going to ask for the tests that were done last Sunday from my usual clinic to see what they might tell a new set of eyes. Today's vet said a new set of blood tests may not provide further information, so probably not indicated right now. But, he did take a fecal sample, so at least that is an additional source of information. At this point, I'm glad to have a second opinion. The first vet (locum as my vet is away) may not have made any errors in diagnosis as apparently anal abscesses can blow up overnight. But I'm not sure he was as proactive as he might have been. Having said that, I know even with human doctors, the diagnostic method is to eliminate things in an orderly manner, so maybe he did right by Fraser.

In the meantime, the boy is very unhappy in his cone of shame for the next 10 days and he's on two sets of antibiotics to knock out the infection. Fingers crossed that anal glands were the source of his illness all this week. If not, a clear diagnosis of whether there's some underlying thing that still needs to be addressed. Also in the meantime, I usually try to eat a low carb diet, but there was a bakery right across from the vets, so home I came with a filled croissant and chicken roll. I may even have ice cream later.  >:(

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2019, 10:14:00 PM »
I hope you enjoyed your ice cream and it is your civic duty to support local business, so the croissant was a charitable act!  Poor, poor Fraser, that is very painful for him.  Agree that it is hard to tell if this is a separate issue, or all tied into his overall problem, main thing is he is now getting it treated, cone of shame included.  The new vet seems sensible, and hopefully the tests you asked for with the usual vet will have been done, and give some indication of the problem.  Thanks for the update, I was wondering how Fraser was getting on.

Offline tritonx

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2019, 04:22:19 AM »
New vet phoned at 6 tonight—already I’m thinking am I with the right clinic although I like the vet at mine who’s away right now— to say the fecal sample doesn’t show any parasites, but lots of bacteria. He thinks the anal abscess is a separate event though might have to do with contamination by the bacteria overgrowth, but not the primary cause. So, antibiotic for both issues and fingers crossed he shows a return to his usual happy spirits in the next week. Might take a while to break though even if health returns as he is mopey about the cone. Much use of spaniel sad eyes.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2019, 01:13:49 PM »
That does sound more positive, hopefully once the antibiotics kick in he‘ll be as right as rain. Sending  :bigarmhug: to Fraser!!!  :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2019, 01:43:33 PM »
I am impressed with the new vet, much more like it.  Won't be easy to figure what caused what, but once the antibiotics are finished I would definitely get him on a probiotic to get his tummy back in order.  The spaniels eyes will be working overtime just now, bless him  :luv: You will be drowning in guilt  :005:  I hope this is finally on the right track for Fraser and he is back to a proper bouncy cocker really soon.   :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline tritonx

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2019, 05:18:20 PM »
Honestly, he's lapping up all the concerned attention and petting from me. They're such drama queens, spaniels, I wouldn't put it past him to put on the current fainting violet routine for the extra love. But, this morning he is still seeming like an invalid. Didn't move when I got up and only came out of his bed when I left the room. It's probably early times for looking for improvement as he's only on the first day of new antibiotics for the abscess.  My vet clinic phoned to say they'd had a request for his blood tests and they're being sent over for review. At least now, I feel he's getting close attention on whatever's going on. Is there more pastry in my future? There might be. As you say, local businesses need our support :005:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2019, 06:11:44 PM »
Is there more pastry in my future? There might be. As you say, local businesses need our support :005:

Take a lesson from Fraser and milk it while you can!! :005: :005:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2019, 07:49:08 PM »
Is there more pastry in my future? There might be. As you say, local businesses need our support :005:

Take a lesson from Fraser and milk it while you can!! :005: :005:

BizzyLizzy you are a wise woman!  :lol2:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2019, 07:52:55 PM »
I know from a human perspective antibiotics make me feel grotty, don't tell Fraser though, he will be nominated for an Oscar  :lol2:  They certainly know how to push your buttons, Bertie hurt his leg one day while being a nutty cocker and after lots of tlc and pandering returned to normal.  However, he also discovered that limping on command would get him extra attention, so it was never easy to figure out when the wee sod was actually sore or acting it! They are proper characters.  We need to know what you get from the bakery so we can share the calories with you!!  :005:

Offline tritonx

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2019, 05:28:58 PM »
That's so funny about Bertie learning a sincere (looking) limp will produce results. But how complicating that makes telling whether he's injured or not. All we have, since they can't speak, is observing their behaviour. And wouldn't it be nice if we could transfer calories to others, share the wealth so to speak. Fraser has now gone since Sunday (?) without pooping. Certainly all day yesterday, not a peep. Or poop. Might be his tender rear end is making him hold it in. Last night on his evening walk, I kept hopefully taking him over stretches of grass to inspire him, but nothing. The antibiotics are a likely culprit, of course. I've been giving him the probiotic powder in his food to help with that, but who knows if that even works. Everyone was mad about taking probiotics and then I read something that it didn't really work, so I don't know. But I'll keep giving it to him. Can't hurt. He's still not hopping out of bed in the morning ready to play, but his face does brighten at the mention of food. I'll take him out shortly and see if anything happens. Fingers crossed.