Author Topic: The saga of Harry's vacs cont:  (Read 966 times)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
The saga of Harry's vacs cont:
« on: December 01, 2023, 12:01:58 PM »
So Harry had both 8 weeks and 12 weeks vac from breeders vet and were Canigen and Lepto 2.  My vet mentioned on seeing his vacs card that at 12months they would need to be completly redone.  I was not happy at this.

So as the 12 month approaches I am still somewhat put out by my vet.

I have looked into this fully and been told by makers that in the first case of the primary 2 puppy vacs the licence states that they must be same make, however at 12 months this does not apply providing it is a compactable drug of which only Nobivax are.  This is what my vet uses.

So other vaccines would need to be done from scratch. 

I was dismayed that my wonderful vet would not even speak with me about this.

I feel so upset that I feel I may well have to use another practice.

I never for one moment felt it would be a minefield.

I guess I am lucky in the fact that a vet 15 miles away uses Canigen and another practice locally says that they fully understand that what I am saying is correct. 

After all I just want what is best for Harry.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: The saga of Harry's vacs cont:
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 04:25:15 PM »
Much as you obviously like your present vet I would challenge it and mention that you will have no alternative but to change vets. Maybe the thought of losing a client with a year old dog & the bad impression it may make if you make your dissatisfaction known to others  for the sake of his pride may bring him to his senses? (he is probably still a bit disgruntled at losing out on Harry's pup vacs  ;) )
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 04:56:28 PM »
Much as you obviously like your present vet I would challenge it and mention that you will have no alternative but to change vets. Maybe the thought of losing a client with a year old dog & the bad impression it may make if you make your dissatisfaction known to others  for the sake of his pride may bring him to his senses? (he is probably still a bit disgruntled at losing out on Harry's pup vacs  ;) )

Absolutely agree!

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 07:13:25 PM »
Round where I live (Midlands) it is really hard to register at a vets. Most have closed their books to new clients  as they were overrun with new customers during the pandemic.
I was lucky in the fact that I was already registered at two practices with my previous precious girls so was able to easily add my two new dogs.
Several people I know that have got new dogs now have to go out of area just to get their dogs vaccinated.
This makes it more difficult to challenge vets decisions as one can not simply take our custom to another practice as we could have done in the past  >:D
I am pleased that Jaysmumagain is able to go to another practice but not everyone can.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 11:14:16 AM »
Maybe they only stock nobivac due to contracts. If it’s a practiise with a few vets, it might be worthwhile to ask to clarify it with the head vet.  Also a receptionist  will only tell you the rules as they know it.They are overworked, grumbled at, and not allowed to make decisions on anything . My son was late for boosters and receptionist insisted he need to start all over, but the vet was sensible and just did booster.
Google says, like you, that nobivac and Canigen are compatible.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 09:48:53 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Firstly it was the vet who told me this back in May.  After finding new info I phoned and was told a vet would call me back, instead receptionist did saying book appointment and vet will advise when Harry has vacs.  I  booked, then called back and cancelled and said I wanted it clarifying before appt in early Jan and would pop in to surgery with Harry's card.  I said that my understanding was at one year Harry needed his Lepto only.

Hubby and I are not agreeing to anything else and I have spoken to two local vets and they give Nobivax and receptionist both say Nobivax(they use) is compatable with Canigen and I can register - also I can go to the vet who did the primary vacs about 15 miles away.  Hubby Mum lives in town so our car find its own way :005: plus this vet his the only vet who still does out hours at surgery all the others.  Bless then at are local RSPCA clinic they will do it too for payment.

My present vets night cover is some 34 miles away and 45 mins drive. In itself a horrible thought with an ill dog.  So I think maybe time for change - plus I have such sad and so present memories of Ollie there.

Will let you know the outcome.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed