Author Topic: Advice Please!  (Read 540 times)

Offline allym

• Site Member
  • Grrrrrrrrr!
Advice Please!
« on: March 12, 2006, 10:44:51 AM »
Hi everyone!

If possible, I'd like some advice please!  Henry (5months old) has been a bit poorly for the past 24 hours, but I'm not sure what's wrong or what to do...  :'(

Yesterday when I got up at 8am, Henry had pooed all over his crate and it was a bit runny (his stools are usually solid), but I thought that he had probably just been woken up earlier by my house-guest going to the loo, and he's used to going out as soon as anyone gets up.  Then, in the afternoon he had some diarrhoea.  I thought it was just a tummy upset, so I gave him scrambled eggs as a light tea, but later last night he was sick (incidentally, when I walked in, he was trying to eat it!).  I put him to bed as normal, but instead of leaving him all night (he's always as good as gold and never, ever cries during the night) I got up and took him out whenever he cried.  In the end, I got up at midnight, 1am, 2.30am and 4am to let him out.  He seemed to be trying to go for a poo, but nothing was happening.  Then this morning, after trying again (again nothing!) he started dragging his bottom across the grass.

My friend thinks he has worms (he is up to date on his worming) but I'm not sure.  I don't know whether to ring the vet now, or wait until tomorrow morning when they open?

Sorry for rambling!  I'm new to this puppy business and I'd just hate to think that he's sick and I haven't done anything about it!

Thanks,

Ally
Ally and Henry the Hound xx

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Re: Advice Please!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 11:06:43 AM »
Is he drinking water? If not and he's still being sick and having diarrhoea then you might need to give your vet a call. I dont know how old your puppy is but I gather still quite young and they can suffer dehydration very quickly.

The dragging of his bottom is liekly to be becasue he's a bit sore or it could be his anal glands are uncomfortable.

Try him on something like a plain dry biscuit - a ginger biscuit would be good as ginger settles the stomach. If he throws that up or he becomes at all listless then call your vet.

Let us know how he goes on.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
Re: Advice Please!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 04:59:14 PM »
Hiya, I cant offer any advice as to what the problem may be, but I have had a few panics with Betty ( shes my first dog and I tend to flap!)so I've called the vet for advice. They've always been really helpful, and its good for peace of mind. Hope Henrys feeling better soon.