Author Topic: Why is it when they are poorly it comes in bouts!!? DONT READ IF YOU ARE EATING!  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Re: Why is it when they are poorly it comes in bouts!!?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2006, 07:50:33 PM »
What a thread lise!!!  Good God!!! I am glad i have eaten already! :005: :005:

Ahhh i hope she is ok hun  and that she is all ready for Bailey dog on Thursday!!  We might have 2 randy old men on our hands! :005:
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
You'll be pleased to know Milo is feeling much better this morning and has come to terms with Nancy's smell  :005:  :005:

Nance is fine, well apart from the obvious!! :005: I need to just keep popping pills into her!!

I was doing some reading about vaginitus and it seems to be like a thrush or Candida............now I know lots of people who have had candida and they have dealt with it by cutting out sugar......would this be the same in a dog? Although I am at a loss to see where there is sugar in her diet to be honest............no sugar on raw meaty bones, or in mince!?!?! No sugar in the treats I cook. I guess the occasional brough treat she has may have sugar in, but it is rare that she gets shop brought treats. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree totally with the sugar!!!

The vet also mentioned that recurring vaginitus can be caused if a bitch is spayed too young, for example before her first season. Nance had her season. I guess the pyometra has confused matters :huh:

Well I'll see how these tablets work, and then as Penel suggested I will speak to the homeopathic vet, see what she ha sto say on the matter.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
You'll be pleased to know Milo is feeling much better this morning and has come to terms with Nancy's smell  :005:  :005:

Nance is fine, well apart from the obvious!! :005: I need to just keep popping pills into her!!

I was doing some reading about vaginitus and it seems to be like a thrush or Candida............now I know lots of people who have had candida and they have dealt with it by cutting out sugar......would this be the same in a dog? Although I am at a loss to see where there is sugar in her diet to be honest............no sugar on raw meaty bones, or in mince!?!?! No sugar in the treats I cook. I guess the occasional brough treat she has may have sugar in, but it is rare that she gets shop brought treats. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree totally with the sugar!!!

I also read that recurring vaginitus can be caused if I bitch is spayed to young, for example before her first season. Nance had her season. I guess the pyometra has confused matters :huh:

Well I'll see how these tablets work, and then as Penel suggested I will speak to the homeopathic vet, see what she ha sto say on the matter.

apparently yeast is another trigger lise, so get her off her marmite on toast ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member

I also read that recurring vaginitus can be caused if I bitch is spayed to young, for example before her first season. Nance had her season. I guess the pyometra has confused matters :huh:

apparently yeast is another trigger lise, so get her off her marmite on toast ;)

hee hee hee!!! its me with the marmite!! if anyone should have it it should be me!!!!!!! :005: i dont think she has yeast much either!!?!?! she does have toast a couple of times a month maybe i will knock that on the head! xx thanks hun! :-*

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
Look you lot I only came home from hospital a few hours ago read this thread and I think I may have burst a stitch. Behave. :005:
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog

I hope you don't mind me making a suggestion, Lisa?

Wheat can trigger/aggravate candida infections too - so as well as bread, wheat pasta can also be a problem  ::) I have cooked for someone with a candida gut infection - there is an awful lot of food they need to avoid; I've just found this:

Anti -Candida  Diet -  At A Glance Guidelines

Foods to eat: vegetables, nuts, seeds, and oils
Foods to moderate: whole grains, brown rice, oats, and barley
Foods to avoid: sugar, packaged and processed foods, yeast breads and pastries, mushrooms and truffles, most condiments and sauces, fruits for the first three weeks of your candida-elimination diet and re-heated leftovers.

Obviously this list is designed for the human sufferer - but the infection is the same in both humans and animals (Candida Albicans), so anything that allieviates it in humans should also work for dogs  ;)

I hope she feels better soon :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Penel

mmm hate to say it but it could be pasta that is triggering it off, if it is wheat pasta....
I'd still like Nance to have an appt with a homeopathic vet please  ;)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
mmm hate to say it but it could be pasta that is triggering it off, if it is wheat pasta....
I'd still like Nance to have an appt with a homeopathic vet please  ;)

Yeah I will defo speak to the homopatheic vet thanks Penel xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have given both dogs alot less pasta recently, and more potatoes, as  Penel already knows my skinny boy needed beefing up!!  :005:  :005:

But I will cut it out altogther, well it's worth a shot!!

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Do remember though that vaginitis may not be caused by candida. If it clears up with antibiotics then it must be a bacterial infection, not fungal (yeast). So you could be barking up the wrong tree altogether!

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Do remember though that vaginitis may not be caused by candida. If it clears up with antibiotics then it must be a bacterial infection, not fungal (yeast). So you could be barking up the wrong tree altogether!

Yep this is true, thanks Annette! There is something about the word "vaginitus" that gives me the willies!!!!! I cringe every time I see it!! Here speaks the woman that openly spoke about her dogs green gunky vulva!!  ph34r  :005: but has issues with a medical term!!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog

Good point - in fact, antibiotics can cause, or antagonise, a candida infection, as they kill off the "good" bacteria that keep Candida under control  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Penel

The antibiotics are probably just suppressing the secondary infection which is being caused by the yeast infection ? am I making any sense here ?
You'll need really good probiotics too.....(I mean Nance will !)  :005:

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
The antibiotics are probably just suppressing the secondary infection which is being caused by the yeast infection ? am I making any sense here ?
You'll need really good probiotics too.....(I mean Nance will !)  :005:

I get where you are coming from totally Penel, thanks  :-*  :-*

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Well with a weeks antibiotics left to go! It seems to be clearing up!!!! Will keep popping the tablets in the little sausages, fingers crossed xx

Penel I am speaking to the homopathic vet on monday, have made an appointment to call!!

Offline kb

• Site Member
I was just wondering if any of the anti-inflammatory injections they were having for their sore paws a few weeks back where steroid based - this could have triggered things off again for her. Steroids can increase infection risk - just a thought!