Author Topic: Spaghetti Poo  (Read 2338 times)

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Re: Spaghetti Poo
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 10:20:57 PM »
To reassure you that 4 worms won't hurt her!

Jessie had worms quite badly when we got her (despite being given a sheet stating she had been wormed properly) The vet cave us stronghold when we took her for her vacc and wouldnt do the vacc until the wrms were gone.

So we treated her and when she eliminated them it was like a tin of heinz spagetti...I bet there were over 40....I bagged it and showed the vet....cos I was gobsmacked!!

She was fine tho and growing....did better without them tho lol

Janey

Offline PennyB

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 11:18:27 PM »
The worms are the toxicaris (spulling is not my strongest asset!) i beleive and not tapeworms they are the size of heinz spaghetti and look like enemic earthworms,

Yes they certainly sound like mature roundworms (ie they've been inside your pup a while) Tapeworms look more like wiggly grains of rice when you see them round a dog's back-end (only seen them once on a dog brought to me for grooming - yuk!).

I've just had a fully fledged bit of tapeworm wriggling in my yard (yuk emoticon anyone!). A collie was neutered today (was rescued from being pts age 18months after being handed in to a pound that would pts straightaway normally) at my vets and the rescue couldn't pick up in time so I was meant to have him overnight. Vet nurse gave me tablets for tomorrow, but when he went to the loo earlier he squitted out part of the tapeworm. Have seen puppies pooing bucketfulls of roundworms but this is a 1st for the tapeworm. (PS rescue came to pick him up just now as he was too full on for Wilf.) Off to get wormers tomorrow for my two ::)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2006, 01:59:18 PM »
Have seen puppies pooing bucketfulls of roundworms but this is a 1st for the tapeworm.

ooh i saw my friends litter of gsd puppies pooing millions of worms once.i know it's the wrong reason but i would never be a breeder because of that memory alone.
i actually felt faint when i saw it.
gross

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006, 04:51:14 PM »
One of my labs as a puppy passed roundworms by the bucket-load as well; they weren't only in his poos but all over the floor & up the wall as well!!! >:(

Fortunately there was no lasting effect on him.
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2006, 10:18:39 PM »
Thanks for the brilliant responses everybody!

Well we took Lucy to the vet yesterday for her second vacc , (my wallets still wimpering!) we told the vet about the worms and he has prescribed some panacur worming powder to be taken over the next three days today being day one, i'm glad to say we haven't seen any further worms so hopefully thats the end of this episode.
We also picked up prescriptions for stronghold and a scalibor collar as she will be frequenting the local nature reserves and they graze sheep on them from time to time, so i imagine they will be riddled with ticks.
We were advised to give her a nasal kennel cough vacc as well as there is every chance that they will pick it up if they meet an infected  dog despite the 2nd vacc.

Well she was a little trooper and wasn't phased by any of it ( my wife and daughter couldn't bear to watch!) not even a wimper in the car on the way home (she normally cries when travelling) lots of hugs and love deserved and received.

We are now looking forward to a six week course of puppy training, I thought we had better train her before she trains us!

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2006, 01:42:46 PM »
I'm glad that Lucy is now sorted and was so brave  :luv:

Just wanted to say, I have used a scalibor collar with Tilly for the past two years for when we take her to France with us (we go about 5 or 6 times a year).  She is regularly Frontlined, but even so the first time we took her she brought home a couple of lovely ticks as souvenirs  >:(  With the Scailibor collar we have not seen a tick since.  I can't recommend them highly enough, especially for those like me, who are whimps around ticks -they really turn my stomach, as well as being potentially dangerous.

Sue and Tilly

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2006, 02:26:54 PM »
Off topic I know - but my daughter had a tick in/on her head when she was about 6 months old. I nearly threw up when I went to get her out of the cot int he morning and saw it!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2006, 09:38:11 PM »
We were advised to give her a nasal kennel cough vacc as well as there is every chance that they will pick it up if they meet an infected  dog despite the 2nd vacc.

Personally I wouldn't do this unless required for boarding kennels as there a number of different strains so you don't know which you'll come across anyway. Its interesting that when I have been to get the KC vax my vet has tried to talk me out of it as he doesn't think its worth it!
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2006, 02:39:02 PM »
Its interesting that when I have been to get the KC vax my vet has tried to talk me out of it as he doesn't think its worth it!

Well that figures! this vet seems more interested in making money than anything else - charged us £8.50 for 'Dispensing/Medicine Decison Fee' when we asked for a prescription for the Scalibor and Stronghold even though they were as a result of a paid consultation.

When we took our chinchilla there he charged £25 for the consultation and a vitamin jab then asked me 'how long do these normally live for?'

I cant say why we went there for fear of recrimination  ;) but it was not my decision! perhaps we might try elsewhwere now!

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss