Author Topic: Buddy...Well, to be frank, he smells awful!  (Read 6257 times)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: Buddy...Well, to be frank, he smells awful!
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2006, 02:24:41 PM »
Well, 1st Malaseb done. He was very put out. Normally after he has endured a bath I wrap him up in his bag and give him a treat.

Today I soaked him in warmish water in the garden, applied the shampoo and we sat out there with the doors locked to wait for it to do its stuff. He whined/barked all the time, just couldn't understand why I wasn't giving him his treat!

THEN had to be dragged up to the bathroom for a shower down. Still, he eventually did get his dry bag, his treat and even a soggy cuddle on my lap in the sun so he's a happier boy now. And less smelly at the moment, but it lasted all of 24 hours after his "normal" bath last week. We'll see how long it lasts this time!

Another question - can I still use the conditioner after Malaseb? (I did today because it smells so nice and detangles), But I promise I won't if you tell me not to!

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2006, 03:29:03 PM »
Yes, I don't se why not - it seems to be the leaving it on for ten mins is when it gts to work.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline amanda

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2006, 06:12:46 PM »
I've not tried the scrunchie method before, will try it tomorrow.  Indie has his anal glands emptied about 2 weeks ago. I called up to book and asked how much it was and I was told it was £8.95. When I took him in she emptied them and told me that his glands were a bit infected so charged me £18.95 instead and then charged me £10.00 for some pro-biotics. I didn't check the itemised receipt until the next day and phoned up to complain and ask for my money back,but they refused and got very stroppy.
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2006, 10:10:49 PM »
The smell is already starting to come back.

So far I have just masked it with a good dosing of Thornits. He's going to end up with a real stinky loo block hanging off his collar if this keeps up!

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2006, 10:15:02 PM »
He's going to end up with a real stinky loo block hanging off his collar if this keeps up!

failing that one (or several) of those self-squirting air freheners tied round his neck  :lol:

seriously Annette, this is really weird - if it were me I'd give it a week (so that you can say you gave the shampoo a fair go ) then go back to the vet making sure that your fav vet is on duty  ;) 
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2006, 10:33:47 PM »
So would I - stick with it, and ask the receptionist when the vet you like is on duty.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2006, 10:36:52 PM »
I've not tried the scrunchie method before, will try it tomorrow.  Indie has his anal glands emptied about 2 weeks ago. I called up to book and asked how much it was and I was told it was £8.95. When I took him in she emptied them and told me that his glands were a bit infected so charged me £18.95 instead and then charged me £10.00 for some pro-biotics. I didn't check the itemised receipt until the next day and phoned up to complain and ask for my money back,but they refused and got very stroppy.

Pro biotics are used to balance the good bacteria in the stomach after a tummy upset usually - if his glands were infected it's likely to have been antibiotics, and depending on what kind they wr, they can cost as much as that. With the recnt Brussels directiv, vets have to use licensed products rather than generics, which makes it even more expensive. I can understand them not refunding you to be honest as they quoted for gland emptying, not treating a gland infection. You'd have had to have had him treated as infected glands ar nasty.

Offline KarIng

• Site Member
  • I'm comfy and I'm not budging!
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2006, 10:38:55 PM »
 :huh:
I'm sat here holding my breath, waiting for something which might help with Teddy's smell, as it sounds like the same thing.   I keep putting off a visit to the vets as I'm so skint at the moment and it's not an emergency, I'm fairly sure there's nothing wrong with his skin, and he seems perfectly healthy otherwise, so am tending towards thinking it's a hormonal thing ... 

Karen and Teddy
Karen and Teddy

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2006, 10:48:37 PM »
What is he being fed on? I'm also wondering if there could be an allergic type thingy going on?

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2006, 12:24:49 AM »
Buddy is on Burns. Always has been. We did slightly increase the amount several weeks ago after our *starving Buddy* thread, do you think it could be that? (Really clutching at straws now!)

As the smell is only just returning I hoped I would be able to localise it more easily, but still no joy.

He has always had a bit of brown discoloration between his toes, but we rarely see him licking them. I doubt it's tan colouring though. Seems unlikely that it would just appear there even though several of his litter mates are blue roan and tan. And they seem dry, and no more smelly than the rest of him.

Might it be weather related, do you think?

I will move onto the treatment dose of Malaseb, bath him twice a week, then see how it goes.

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2006, 08:13:05 AM »
The smell is already starting to come back.

So far I have just masked it with a good dosing of Thornits. He's going to end up with a real stinky loo block hanging off his collar if this keeps up!

LMAO you have made my day! - i can imagine  Buddy wandering around with a toilet block hanging round his neck looking very sorry for himself :005:

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2006, 08:24:37 AM »

He has always had a bit of brown discoloration between his toes, but we rarely see him licking them. I doubt it's tan colouring though. Seems unlikely that it would just appear there even though several of his litter mates are blue roan and tan. And they seem dry, and no more smelly than the rest of him.

The discolouration between the toes is not tan colouring - it is discolouration caused by sweat or licking. It's basically staining from the body fluid - tear stains are the same thing. Some dogs are more prone than others and some do seem to get sweaty feet. You can help neutralise the sweat by adding tomatoe paste to the food. Keep his feet well trimmed so that there's as little fur as poss to hold the sweat in and wash them in a mild solution of shampoo and water but only rinse in very cool water - don't condition. That might help.

I do wonder if this smell is pervasive as it seems to be and not localised then it might be something more to do with his internal digestion.

I think you need to give the malaseb time to work and also try giving him some yoghurt to balance his tum out. It's not going to cure overnight I'm afraid.

I'd also lay off the thornit - you need to reduce the number of things that might be causing, masking or even  exacerbating the problem so that you can identify it. ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2006, 08:31:19 AM »

I never knew dogs had any sweat glands (I thought they panted, instead of sweating) - but Suite 101 (brill trivia site) has corrected me and I now know that dogs have sweat glands on their noses and paw-pads  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2006, 12:35:37 PM »
A bit off the thread I know but cats also get sweaty feet - that is why you see little damp paw prints when they are anxious!

Penel

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2006, 12:55:49 PM »
Hmm just catching up with this as I've been headless chicken all week  :lol:
What flavour Burns is he on Annette ?  my guess would be that it is something to do with the food.
Malaseb is good stuff - but you need to know what is causing the yeast infection, if it is that.  Just shampooing with Malaseb won't make it go away, it will just suppress it for a while...
I would probably change the flavour of his food if you want to continue with Burns - maybe try the fish one - I am guessing the one you feed is chicken ?
My dogs don't smell at all (really they don't !)  people are always amazed that the house / car doesn't smell - and yes you know what I put that down to :D - mainly diet, and exercise, and grooming.... and as little interference as possible other than that.  No sprays to make them smell nice - oh and be very careful using any essential oils on dogs or cats it needs to be mega mega diluted.  We don't use any chemical air fresheners in the house - no floor cleaners - nothing that smells strong because Lola is allergic to so much she absolutely hates strong smells...