Author Topic: Help please ??false pregnancy  (Read 1786 times)

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
Help please ??false pregnancy
« on: July 13, 2006, 11:56:58 AM »
I think my little Floss may be having a false pregnancy. She is 11months old now and had her first season about 4 weeks ago. She has swollen nipples, and is swelling around the flanks of her body also her vulva is swollen. She is also passing more urine than normal. Other than this she is her normal, happy active little self.

My only concern is that my dog Zac who was castrated as a baby did manage to do the deed with her!!!! Could the castration have failed??

I will be going to the vet with her but in the meantime any thoughts?
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Re: Help please ??false pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 12:44:08 PM »
If you are 100% positive that no entire dogs got anywhere near her, you have nothing to worry about.
My pup had her first season at 7 and half months old. Within three days of the season starting, she had big nipples. She has gone on to produce an udder that resembles a cow that is overdue for milking. She is now 60 days since the end of her season and is digging and nesting, no belly though and definitely no pups there. I know that because I watched her like a hawk when she was in season, her breeder has looked at her and told me her mum does exactly the same thing. In fact, her mum actually delivered waterbags around her due date.

If your boy has no testicles there is no way he could have impregnated her. He may have tried and succeeded in tying with her, but would be shooting blanks.  My boy who is 6 was desexed as a pup but he still tried occasionally with the girls when they are on heat (only because they ask him too).
I don't think you need to see a vet, there is nothing you can do, just ride it out. I have tried extra exercise with my girl to no effect. She still has a huge udder, and, she has dropped a lot of what little coat she had and the feathers no longer hide the baggy boobies. Doesn't seem to worry her though. I was concerned she may get mastitis but she has had no redness or heat down there. Oh, and her vulva has not shrunk back to it's puppy size either. I'm hoping it will all be over soon.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 01:00:20 PM »
I entirely agree with Toohey, Nicola. It all sounds quite normal to me, the swollen vulva, peeing more frequently, swollen nipples. Jess, our springer used to have false pregnacies, she used to get totally confused and try to hump her sister at the same time (Poor confused dog).She never grew out of it either.

Before she was spayed, Fern would be restless and whingey at home during her season, but her normal self when distracted by a long run out. The only problem was her swollen nipples used to get really sore as they would catch on the stalks in the fields after harvest (ouch!). She looked as if someone had stuck half cherries over them  :005:. Excercise definately helped with her though.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 02:07:32 PM »
This is a recent shot of my girls belly. I was concerned for a while, but have been reassured by several experienced breeders, that it is normal, for her and her lines.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 04:25:49 PM »
How long ago was your boy done? It tales some time for them to be "safe" - if it was more than say 6 months ago then he should be OK.

Chances are she is fine but a check up at the vets would be a good idea.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional