Author Topic: Swollen face  (Read 2545 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Swollen face
« on: October 25, 2006, 07:34:00 AM »
Yesterday afternoon at work, I noticed Aspen had a swollen face on one side. It looked just like a gum boil would on a human so I just assumed he had been stung on our afternoon walk. It went down over the course of the afternoon although he was quiet and subdued. By tea-time it had pretty much all gone and he was brightening up within himself. Come 9 o'clock, I noticed that he was swollen again although this time it was further up. By the time we got to bed, his whole face had swollen up :o Both sides of his mouth were swollen and rock hard, he had swellings on both cheeks and below both eyes. He has been very distressed with it all night and I have literally only had sleep from 5.15 - 6.30 when he seemed to settle a bit. Some areas are still swollen but not as bad as last night and he is no longer pawing at his face and crying :-\

I'm going to take him to the vets with me when I drop Vegas off but has anyone experienced anything similar? I just can't think of anything new that he came into contact with (twice!!) yesterday. It was horrible seeing him so distressed :-\
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Re: Swollen face
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 07:41:43 AM »
Other than a reaction to a sting or something similar I don't know what it could be Gill. Did you give him any Piriton?

Hope it's nothing serious and that you are both ok! ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 07:42:39 AM »
Aaw, poor Aspen and poor you - you must be pooped. :-\  Coco had what I thought was a wasp sting on her ear - it was really hot and swollen and tender - she wouldn't let anyone touch it.  It went down after a day or so though. This sounds like more than a sting unless he had several :huh:.  Could it be something in his mouth/teeth?  eg abscess or gum infection?

Hope he is OK.
Julie and Watson

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 08:00:15 AM »
Did you give him any Piriton?

I don't keep any in the house but I will do after today ;)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 08:28:07 AM »
Ah Gill, what a nightmare, this poopies are as bad as babys :lol: :lol: keeping us up all night!

I hope poor Aspen feels better today and that you manage somehow to catch up on your lost zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's ;)

As for piriton, I get it in bulk, its a god send sometimes  ;) Some people say it makes their doggies drowsy, my two don't seem to do drowsy  :lol: they have one mode..............MANIC!! :005:

Take Care Aspen, you gave your poor mummy a fright. Hope he gets on alright at the vets ;)

I can't thinkl of anything other than a sting that'd it could be, it defo sounds like an allergic reaction to something :-\

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 08:54:58 AM »
Poor Aspen.  Hope he feels better today, and you get an idea of what caused it  :-\

Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 08:56:51 AM »
YES!!! not that long ago Gracie had a huge reaction to Benzyl Benzoate  :-\ her face swelled up like a Shar Pei  :o her eyes had red welts. It started off with little lumps that eventually joined together and OMG is all I can say!
Piriton tablets did the trick but it did take 24-48 hours to completely go down.

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 09:02:40 AM »
Awww poor boy  :-\ i hope the swelling goes down soon Gill, and he starts to feel more comfortable.
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 09:04:39 AM »
The only time this happened to Ruby was when she had the thorn embedded in her eye. Hope you manage to find out what it is
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 09:14:39 AM »
her face swelled up like a Shar Pei  :o

I knew he reminded me of something :lol: :lol:

Have to take him back at 3.10 when, no doubt, it will be completely gone ::)

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 09:18:48 AM »
A couple of years ago, the face of our pyrenees was swelling up like your dog's - it was New Year's day too...  ::)

It was an allergic reaction to something... the vet prescribed antihystamins and it soon cleared up. He has never had it ever since...

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Penel

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 09:22:44 AM »
Tilly reacted to a M*cDonalds chip that way - but it does sound more like a sting to me....

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 09:36:08 AM »
Poor you

Vegas at one end and Aspen the other :o thats a lot  to worry about. And no sleep >:(

I hope they both feel better soon

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 10:14:54 AM »
poor aspen.hope he's feeling better.sending big hugs

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 11:50:16 AM »
my last dogs face did this I think she may of been stung instead of looking like a jrt she looked like a staffy. I rang the vets [on a sunday] they told me just to keep an eye on her and as long as she could breathe ok. which she could, she would probalbly be ok. she was back to normal in 2 days
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.