Author Topic: Slentrol for dogs.  (Read 2734 times)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Slentrol for dogs.
« on: January 06, 2007, 04:44:08 PM »
Oh dear! Am I alone in finding this quite depressing?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6236231.stm

happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline PennyB

Re: Slentrol for dogs.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 04:57:42 PM »
Yes, and one of the side effects is lethargy when dog should be out and about getting gentle exercise
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 04:57:55 PM »
omg what next.cosmetic surgery?liposuction?
i am shocked.

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 05:06:41 PM »
I need a shaking my head in dispair smilie >:( utter madness if you ask me but there you go ::)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 05:09:41 PM »
Only in America..............  ::)

Why on earth does a dog need a slimming pill??  Surely the owner can control the dog's food intake?  :shades:
Julie and Watson

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 05:11:42 PM »

Perhaps there is place for weighing out a dogs food portions after all.......... ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »

Perhaps there is place for weighing out a dogs food portions after all.......... ;)

::) but surely you can see if your dog is getting fat or not  ::) without having to spend hours weigh everything out! and if they are putting weight on feed accordingly! Do you weigh your food when you see the pounds piling on!!?!?!?! I know I don't I just REDUCE my intake ::)

If dogs are excerised properly they seem to burn it off anyway! Well thats always been the case with my dogs ;)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 05:45:28 PM »
I agree it's just ridiclious  ::)   Increase exercise, cut down on food but increase on fillers such as veg etc. It's not that difficult!!  ::)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 06:16:13 PM »
People are crazy though - last wk w had an obse 15yo CKCS, on heart medication, and it turns out the owner was giving the dog a fresh cream doughnut every day with a cup of tea (in a bowl, three sugars).And along with a mountain of totally unsuitable food, like chips, sausage rolls ::) She genuinely loved her dog and thought she was being kind - so dog on a new eating plan and weekly weigh ins and we shall see.

Its a sad day when we need a pill to do something, but maybe it will help in certain cases.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 06:18:28 PM »
the owner was giving the dog a fresh cream doughnut every day with a cup of tea (in a bowl, three sugars).And along with a mountain of totally unsuitable food, like chips, sausage rolls ::)

:o :o :o :o

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 06:21:30 PM »
the owner was giving the dog a fresh cream doughnut every day with a cup of tea (in a bowl, three sugars).And along with a mountain of totally unsuitable food, like chips, sausage rolls ::)

Its more common that you might think, too  ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 06:31:50 PM »

Are people really that stupid!!!!  ::)

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 07:02:44 PM »

Are people really that stupid!!!!  ::)

Yes.........................but the problem is, these American 'trends' always seem to follow on here in Britain, the quick fix to loose the weight, maybe if the owner and the dogs both went 'walkies' then neither would need 'slimming aids' ;)
Kate, Fudge (Orange Roan 11 years)

Mollie (RIP 19/11/20 aged 15 1/2 years old)
Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 07:45:55 PM »
Totally ridiculous.

They just need to reduce the amount of food and increase the exercise but for some reason can't bring themselves to do that. I think they need to sort out whatever is wrong with themselves emotionally, first. Whatever it is in them which prevents them from taking control of this situation. Are they frightened of not being liked by their dog? Are they worried that the dog will hate them for not giving it all the junk food? Are they frightened of exercising any authority over their pets? If so, then they need to look closely at their relationship with their pet. IMO.

Everyone seems to want an instant fix for everything, and then when things go wrong they sue the backside off whoever gave the medication or performed the surgery.

I'm sickened by this sort of thing.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 07:49:11 PM »
Totally ridiculous.

They just need to reduce the amount of food and increase the exercise but for some reason can't bring themselves to do that. I think they need to sort out whatever is wrong with themselves emotionally, first. Whatever it is in them which prevents them from taking control of this situation. Are they frightened of not being liked by their dog? Are they worried that the dog will hate them for not giving it all the junk food? Are they frightened of exercising any authority over their pets? If so, then they need to look closely at their relationship with their pet. IMO.

Everyone seems to want an instant fix for everything, and then when things go wrong they sue the backside off whoever gave the medication or performed the surgery.

I'm sickened by this sort of thing.

Very well said, couldn't agree more  ;)