Author Topic: Ear Operation  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
Ear Operation
« on: January 12, 2007, 10:56:23 AM »
Hi everyone. 

I took my 4 year old cocker, Betsy to the vets yesterday about her very very mucky ears.  The vet mentioned that they may have to operate on her ears as they are so badly damaged.  The operation he was talking about is to basically remove the ear, leaving only the flap!  This would mean that she would be deaf in that ear.  :'(  Has anyone else had to have this done.  It doesn't sound very nice. 

Thanks Victoria

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
Re: Ear Operation
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 11:14:39 AM »
Ooooh poor Betsy  :luv:, that sound nasty  >:D. What does he mean by damaged? Has she had an infection?
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 11:25:33 AM »
Yes, she has pretty much had ear problems all her life and all i seem  to do is put ear drops in and clean them!!! not that i mind.  I recently moved so this is a new vet (and by all accounts seems better than the old one!)  He suggested that she has some sort of mite that is immune to many of the ear mite drops.  I think because she has had the problems for so long she may have damaged to the ear canal.  I assume this is from the infection although it could be from scratching.

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 11:43:32 AM »
Gosh poor you and poor Betsy. If the operation would give her some sort of relief then it must be worth it no matter how nasty it sounds. Give her a big hug from me and cocker licks from Glen and Sally. Also the same to yourself.  :-*
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 11:45:24 AM »
Have you heard of Thornit? Its amazing - see link below and although its not a pharmaceutical cure it gets the thumbs up from most people who use it....

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=5851.0

{{Hugs}} to Betsy - hope she is ok

x
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 11:50:46 AM »
Thanks both of you   :blink:  I was reading that topic about Thornits.  It seems a good idea and definitely after this next big clean at the vets i will give it a go.  Thanks again.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 01:14:56 PM »
It's definitely worth trying Thornit before making a decision about surgery. We did have an aural resection done on one of our first Cockers but that was many years ago - it wasn't pleasant as it takes a long time for the ear to heal afterwards but sometimes if all else fails, there may be no other option.
Jane

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 02:22:48 PM »
We almost had to cross this bridge with Sasha our WSS.  Her ear was dreadful, but the surgery is such a drastic path to take.  Anyway we ended up having to take her to a dermatologist for her skin and basically it transpired that her ear was associated with this problem and has since got  about 80% better.  Have thay ruled out an allergy being the cause.  My beloved Lace suffered with very bad ears and feet as a youngester we put her on a gluten and wheat free diet and bang it all went away.

HTH

Tori x
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline dood

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 05:16:17 PM »
A springer that we meet on some walks had this done -he wore a big halo thing for ages. He's fine now and doesn't look too odd and evidently copes very well with the hearing loss.

Sam and Poppy xxx

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 07:06:58 PM »
I hope it doesn't come to such radical surgery. But if it does, I guess she will be much better off.

Just a word of warning about the Tornits. Many vets have very little regard for it and I would be reluctant to tell your vet you intend to start using it if I were you. So many dog owners have had such great results from it (including us) that I think it would be wonderful if you could use it then be able to tell the vet the reason for any improvement in the condition of her ear afterwards.

I did tell our vet about it, and he just shrugged and said, "whatever you are doing, keep doing it, it's obviously working". But I do know that some vets are very negative. Not because they think it will do any harm, but because they consider it to be old fashioned and useless.

Sometimes ALL the old gets thrown out to make way for the new. But I think we gradually come to realise that there is some value to the old stuff sometimes.

Offline Mollie.Ladie

• Site Member
  • Mmmm I love cockers!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 08:36:38 PM »
I'm so sorry that this has to happen..I'm sure you're going to be very worried when she goes into surgery.  I know that this was a hard decision but you definiteily made the right one.  If this will make her more comfortable then it is totally worth it.  Good luck with everything  :-*
Mollie&Christina

*Love at first sight.!

Offline janejohn

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 09:04:49 PM »
I think it would be definately worth trying the Thornits ear powder for a little while before you make a decision about surgery. We have used it once a month since Saph was small and she's never (touch wood!) had a problem despite the fact she swims in manky water most days.

A springer spaniel that we meet on our walks had terrible problems with it's ears so I mentioned Thornits to the owner and he tried it - the difference was incredible within weeks.

I get mine from www.championpets.co.uk

Let us know how you get on whatever you decide.
Jane, Sapphire and Merlin x

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 07:34:56 AM »
We almost had to cross this bridge with Sasha our WSS.  Her ear was dreadful, but the surgery is such a drastic path to take.  Anyway we ended up having to take her to a dermatologist for her skin and basically it transpired that her ear was associated with this problem and has since got  about 80% better.  Have thay ruled out an allergy being the cause.  My beloved Lace suffered with very bad ears and feet as a youngester we put her on a gluten and wheat free diet and bang it all went away.

HTH

Tori x

Hi, that actually did cross my mind.  Bets has had bad skin since she was a puppy.  The vet originally diagnosed it as puppy acne!  She gets scabs on her tummy and and back.  Since June last year i have stopped giving her any milk (she liked it as a treat  :'( ) and i changed her food to JWB.  The scabs have reduced to almost nothing but her ears are still manky.  As it was a new vet and her skin has cleared up i didnt mention it, but when i take her for her xrays etc on Monday i will say about her skin.  I hope it is something as simple as that!  Thanks for your advice.  xx

Offline LesleyW

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 10:00:20 AM »
please consider putting your dog onto the BARF diet, before making any radical decision about surgery.  Although I dont currently own a cocker, I did have a labrador for years with extreme ear problems, resulting in surgery.  She has long since passed to the Bridge of old age, but recent discussions with my vet, who is now, very-Pro BARF have uncovered the possibility that had we known at the time, changing her over to BARF may have cured the problem without need for surgery!

I'm sure there are people on here who could tell you some amazing stories of health (and even behaviour) problems "gone away" with the advent of introducing their pets to BARF - I've seen some pretty amazing cures myself...... :D  Must be worth a bit of time researching??

Incidentally, Holly our lab, got on fine after the op, and she still seemed to have some miniscule residual "hearing" due to vibration, hand signals and 6th sense i think,  ;) although she was thereafter never off the lead anywhere near a road! 

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 02:41:55 PM »
Thanks Leslie, you know how i will be spending my Saturday afternoon now!!

I have also just ordered some thornit for both myself and my friend with a Goldie who also suffers.  Hopefully we shall both see some results. 

Thank you everyone  :-*