Author Topic: Ear Operation  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
Re: Ear Operation
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 05:00:51 PM »
One of my labs had ear problems all her life & eventually my vet operated & opened up the ear canal & removed several growths which had formed due to her having recurrent ear infections.

It did cure the problem but I had never heard of Thornits then & with hindsight I would much rather have used that than had to have her operated upon. ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 04:03:14 PM »
Just a quick update.  Bets had her xrays yesterday which show she has a ruptured ear drum.  I have some anti biotics, steroids and drops to give her.  Fortunately she is so greedy she just eats them without any hassle. :005:

The vet has taken swabs which are winging their way to the lab.  Hopefully we will know what evil supermite is causing all the problems soon. 

My Thornits has arrived today so i will start to use that after i have used all the things the vet gave me. 

Offline biscuit

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 09:46:15 PM »
I have recently taken my cocker to the vets regarding ear problem (yelping when touched - no wax or smelly stuff though).  I was promptly told off for the food I was giving her, given ear drops, anti biotic inject.  Told off for going on websites, dog admitted to vets to be put on drip as she was very lathargic. Anyone know whether this reation could be due to anti b's.   I have received Thornits ear powder, in the post but haven't used it yet, as I don't feel too confident to use it - vets attitude recently has really knocked my confidence.
mollypooch

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 09:52:05 PM »
Crikey!  Poor you and your girl.  I hope everything is ok.  Keep us posted.  What food were you using?

Victoria xx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 10:03:38 PM »
I have recently taken my cocker to the vets regarding ear problem (yelping when touched - no wax or smelly stuff though).  I was promptly told off for the food I was giving her, given ear drops, anti biotic inject.  Told off for going on websites, dog admitted to vets to be put on drip as she was very lathargic. Anyone know whether this reation could be due to anti b's.   I have received Thornits ear powder, in the post but haven't used it yet, as I don't feel too confident to use it - vets attitude recently has really knocked my confidence.

Poor you, and poor cocker :'(

Has the vet told you why she's had this reaction and had to go on a drip?  They don't seem to have explained things very well to you.....at all

I'm interested, like Victoria, about what food you've been feeding your dog, and what kind of ear infection she has.

Wishing your little girl well (and yours Victoria  :-*)

helen & jarvis x

Offline biscuit

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 04:56:01 PM »
She had probs with ears, yelping when ears touched,  loss of balance, being sick.  She gradually got more listless, back to vets so they kept her in, I told the nurse what food she was on.  Next day I thought she was coming home, vet kept her in for another night for x-rays in case she had swallowed something but gave me a lecture about her food and told me she was dehydrated.  I can honestly say we are the strictest owners with food, she only eats dry dog food with Vit B6 tab then  a quarter of jacket potato an hour later (for nervousness), plus the occasional raw carrot which she loves.   She has been on this food for 1 year.  No probs.  The change in her over 6 days when she started on it last year was amazing.  People may scoff at this, (vit B6 + carb) but it worked for my dog - and as many people say, if it works for your dog, keep it up. The food - Oscars.  I have no complaints with the food but Vet wants me to switch to Burns.  I know its good food - but what does he sell !!

She's back to normal self now thank goodness, but it has taken her a good week to recover (thank goodness we are insured as well ! 3 years worth of premiums have just been paid to vet - hope Pet Plan cough up).

But she still wimpers when ears are touched.    Any ideas ?   Don't really want to go back to my vet.

As you can see, I am a little cross - main thing is my precious pooch  seems to have recovered.
mollypooch