Author Topic: Administering medicine  (Read 519 times)

Offline Vivienne

• Site Member
Administering medicine
« on: July 16, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
Starting Saturday we have a wormer, Kaolin stuff, perscription food. OH got Whistler positioned on his lap and tried opening his mouth. (didn't notice how big his teeth had got!!) Result handful of grey gunk.
Tried adding to dinner - no go, is there an easy way? or just persevere? trouble is we are also reworming OH's pup in case they have both picked up worms from eating slugs!!
Whistler was on a tablet but the vets put him back on panecure again to be on the safe side. The perscription food seems to stick to his teeth so he's struggling to get that down as well!!
Its a bit messy.

Viv

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Administering medicine
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 05:17:26 PM »
I am currently administering a kaolin paste to one of my dogs and the easiest way to do it is to steady the dogs head and put the syringe into the corner of the mouth between the back teeth and squeeze while holding the muzzle shut. With wormers, if its tablets, open the mouth and pop the tablet as far back into the mouth as you can and then hold the mouth shut and stroke the throat to encourage swallowing. Once the dog licks its lips, it has gone down.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 05:43:28 PM »
I wrap tablets in a piece of ham, or bread, dip it in yogurt or soft cheese..it doesn't touch the sides ::)

Paste...like Gill says ;) be firm and dont hesitate :shades:

Do you mean the tins of prescription diet meat? I dont have a problem, so not sure how to help there :-\

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 09:16:31 PM »
Paste is administered exactly how Gill described but we wrap tablets in pate for both dogs and cats and even very poorly pets refusing food have taken their medicine with a jacket of pate around it  :005:

Janey