Author Topic: Wherry's at the vet - paw trouble  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Coco

• Site Member
Wherry's at the vet - paw trouble
« on: September 01, 2007, 10:16:44 AM »
I wasn't at home yesterday after staying at a friends so when I got a call from the OH asking if I was free to take Wherry to the vets, I couldn't. She had apparantly ripped one or her claws so it was up and backward, hanging on my a thread and underneath was 'a bit grusome' he said. She was fine in herself thoughso not in noticable pain. We had tickets booked to go out so she was left with MIL to go to the vets at 6pm. Wherry has a big phobia about people touching her feet  :huh: and wouldn't let the vet near her, they tried to muzzle har but she was so distressed they said they would send her home and comeback in the morning after taking a pill to sedate her slightly. I went over this morning to take her in and I have had to leave her there to be knocked out  :'(  as she still isn't calm enough to let them get at it. Her poor claw on her front claw has ripped and underneath it is pink and raw  :o  and inflamed/infected. I know in the scheme of things it's not a huge problem but I hate, hate, hate leaving my poor puppy at the vet, she clearly hates it  :'( They are going to call after lunch
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
Re: Wherry's at the vet - paw trouble
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 10:37:50 AM »
Poor Wherry  :'( that sounds horrible.   It is horrible leaving them at the vets even though you know they are in the best place.   I hope she is better soon.

Offline gracieboo

• Site Member
  • Our beautiful girl x
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 10:38:13 AM »
Oh no...poor little thing...hope that she gets on ok today and you will be able to collect her later....lots of cuddles for being brave :luv: ..and hope your ok too...it's terrible leaving them at the vets :'(   let us all know how she is
Lisa and Maisie xx

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 10:45:28 AM »
Poor Wherry, let us know how she gets on.  :luv:

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 10:51:14 AM »
poor wherry, at least it's less distressing for her :'(. hope everything goes ok :-*

Offline Teisen_bach

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »
Ooh no poor Wherry, thats sounds quite painfull...i hope she recovers soon  :-* 
Hugs from Jue & Teisen bach xx

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 03:58:03 PM »
Oh no. Poor Wherry!! Hope she is better soon Vicky!! Give her a  :-* from me! xx

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 04:00:50 PM »
aah, poor Wherry.  Cocker hugs from Pringle who hates her feet being touched too.  Hope she is soon better.
Ann and Pringle

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 04:31:40 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts, I'm just off to pick her up now. She will get lots of extra squidges  :luv:
I know it's probably silly I just hate the thought of her being knocked out, it's had to be done 3 or 4 times now  :o . My brother reacts badly to anesthetic and once they really struggled to bring him round, I think his heart was stopping so it really scares me.  :-\

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 01:21:53 AM »
She is home and pretty much fine. She had split the nail and got an infection in the nail bed. The vet had to cut it back and scrape it all out, cauterising it. She has pain relief for the next 4 days. He didn't bandage it so it can get some air but we have to keep her out of mischeif and muck untill she goes back for a check mid week that it is healing. Hopefully that means I get to keep her at home with me!  :D

They said that the nail may not come back but that it sould be ok if it doesn't, they said though, if it gets further infected it can go up into her foot and be so bad she could lose it. Now this isn't going to happen but I did have to laugh. My OH lost his hand below the elbow after an accident so you can just imagine the looks we would get if he and she were out together 'armless' ::)  :lol:

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 08:51:59 AM »
Aw sorry I missed this yesterday - glad to hear that Wherry is on the mend - cocker squidges from us x
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 08:57:59 AM »
Glad to hear she has got it sorted, give her a squidge from us :luv:

Lucy used to be very sensitive about her paws, it was very difficult to get anywhere near them without her getting stressed, so i made it part of her daily ritual, first thing every morning before i go to work i give her a cuddle and a massage i handle every bit of her feet checking between her pads and toes for foriegn objects. At first she was quite defensive but now she just relaxes and i can do pretty much anything i want with her :luv:

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline fenn2006

• Site Member
  • Best girl Fenn
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 10:39:34 AM »
Missed this - glad Wherry is on the mend poor little mite - big hugs and licks (from Fenn of course :005:)
Cockers are little people with minds of their own... x0x

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 02:13:42 PM »
Poor Wherry; it must be very painful for her.......I'm glad she's feeling a bit happier today. :D

Our house-guest, Rooney, also has a nail-bed infection; we appear to have got it under control with anti-biotics & anti-inflammatories otherwise he was going to have to be anesthetised (sp?) & have the claw removed.

One of my labs, Sidney, split his claw & it bled profusely; he actually did have the claw removed in that instance (my vet said he'd seen a dog with a broken leg make less fuss than Sid did!! :005:)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 02:39:02 PM »
Poor Wherry.  :'(

Glad she's OK now, Milo sends a big cocker kiss  :-*
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x