Author Topic: Kennel Cough !!  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Vino tinto !

• Site Member
Kennel Cough !!
« on: October 27, 2007, 12:53:13 PM »
Poor Tilly ( 4 months )  has Kennel cough !! It's really awful watching her huff and huff and then kack at the end !! She then collapses on the floor with exhaustion !! Apparently its becoming more common these days so our vet says,they are thinking of offering the injection for it as standard now ? Tilly has had an anti-inflammatory injection this morning and has to take 2 tablets twice a day for 5 days.Then we go back to the  vet next friday !! We also have to try and keep her calm  ph34r  ph34r, even the vet laughed when she said it !!! She has a 7 month old cocker herself !! DOH !!  :005:  :005:

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
Re: Kennel Cough !!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 02:03:39 PM »
Sending lots of hugs to Tilly.  :luv:

Hope she is feeling better soon.

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 03:31:38 PM »
Ahh poor Tilly. :luv: My friends little toy poodle had it last year, the only place she had been was the vets.  >:(

Offline Vino tinto !

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 03:38:14 PM »
Thank you,we let them know we were there but we waited outside the vets so that we didn't infect anyone else with it !! xx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 03:39:44 PM »

Poor Tilly - hope she feels better soon  :'(

Apparently its becoming more common these days so our vet says,they are thinking of offering the injection for it as standard now ?

My two have the KC vaccine annually, but the one they have is a nasal spray, not an injection  :huh:  Would you mind finding out more from your vet when you go back? If there is a new product, I'm always keen to know about it  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Vino tinto !

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 05:37:44 PM »
Yes of course IW Lass I will remember that,the last I heard it was a spray up the nose ! So will defo find out !! Needless to say Tilly will be having it of the norm from now on !!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 05:49:09 PM »
Yes of course IW Lass I will remember that,the last I heard it was a spray up the nose ! So will defo find out !! Needless to say Tilly will be having it of the norm from now on !!

The KC vaccine is a bit like the flu vaccine - it only protects against one strain, and there is every chance that a dog will still catch KC even if they are vaccinated  :-\

I only vaccinate my two because if I had a family emergency, I would need to kennel them; and the kennels I use insist upon the vaccine  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 06:31:17 PM »
Poor mite. There is loads of it going about. Just about everyone i speak 2 has had it or got it. Hope she gets well soon. :luv:

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 09:00:09 PM »
Poor thing, its so distressing to listen too as well ((((hugs))))

I remember my first lad Gunnar came to us with KC. Three weeks later and two more trips to the vets he was still coughing at night but the vet couldnt find anything wrong and just told us to use a cough linctus. Then I was up late one night, Nigel had gone to bed and Gunnar had been put to bed in his pen in the hall when i heard him coughing badly again so crept out to see him. he was wandering around his pen area and stopping and staring at the bedroom door, after a minute of waiting he would give a good cough. When nothing happened he went back to his basket and tried again a few minutes later,  the little bleeder had learned to put on the cough at night to be allowed in the bedroom  :005:
Caroline and Alfie

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 09:05:33 PM »
Poor Tilly, I hope she gets better soon.

My friends lab has just recovered from kennel cough, poor doggies!!
Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 09:28:46 PM »
Oh no! Poor Tilly, she's really suffering  :'(

Dave sends her HUGE hugs (he's just had a bath too so even smells nice for once  :005:)

I really hope she gets better soon. I have to say I stopped my two drinking out of a dogbowl of water outside the village shop today as it suddenly occurred to me that they might be able to catch kennel cough from that and it seems to be common around here too at the moment. Does anyone know if that's the case or is it airborne only?

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Vino tinto !

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 06:49:52 AM »
Caroline,that made me  :rofl1: so much !! What a clever dog............  Oh Dave "the Bandit " she sighed  :luv: ............ My hero, Tilly sounds tres~ sexy with her very sore throat,I'm sure Dave would find it quite alluring ??  Particularly if he has had a bath as well.......sniff sniff, ah yes,  I can smell him from here, Au De Doggy by,  Annah Annah I believe ? Send him round quick !!!   :005:  :005: xx

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 11:11:09 AM »
Caroline,that made me  :rofl1: so much !! What a clever dog............  Oh Dave "the Bandit " she sighed  :luv: ............ My hero, Tilly sounds tres~ sexy with her very sore throat,I'm sure Dave would find it quite alluring ??  Particularly if he has had a bath as well.......sniff sniff, ah yes,  I can smell him from here, Au De Doggy by,  Annah Annah I believe ? Send him round quick !!!   :005:  :005: xx

:lol: :005:

He's on his way  :D, just don't get him too excited... he's half heartedly experimenting with 'd'amour' at the moment... mainly on Storms ear, oddly she doesn't seem to mind  ::) sick woman......... ph34r

Hope little Tilly feels lots better soon  :-* :luv:

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 01:20:29 PM »
Maddi had it when she came to us, I felt so sorry for her.  It seemed to go on for ages.

Murph's had it before too. (Course his was more like man-flu!!)  :005:
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 03:02:25 PM »
From what I can gather, this is why they give a spray or an injection.

http://www.provet.co.uk/aol/Petfacts/healthtips/kennelcough.htm
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe