Author Topic: Alfie's balanitis is back  (Read 14351 times)

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
Re: Alfie's balanitis is back
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 10:27:05 AM »
Poor Alfie, I hope this clears it up and you get it sorted once and for all  :-*
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 02:08:13 PM »
Also had to look it up :embarassed:  Poor Alfie.  Hope he feels better real soon  :blink: :blink:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline leisl

• Donator
  • Hi-Life PAT Dog of the Year!
    • Muppet - PAT Dog of the Year Winner 2010/2011
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 03:36:05 PM »
There is alot to be said for girl dogs!!!  ;)  Alfie, you poor wee thing, hope you get better soon and on a personal note Nicola, that is one helluva friend you have there.  Can't name one friend who would be prepared to go near Muppets bits!
Leisl, Muppet & Krumble
Orange ones are more juicy!!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 07:38:28 PM »
There is alot to be said for girl dogs!!!  ;)  Alfie, you poor wee thing, hope you get better soon and on a personal note Nicola, that is one helluva friend you have there.  Can't name one friend who would be prepared to go near Muppets bits!

I know, he's worth his weight in Ben&Jerrys  :005:

Thanks for the wishes everyone, I'll keep you posted as to how he gets on.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 07:53:09 PM »
Aww poor wee man. Now i think about it he was licking himself a lot today, I just thought it was cos he was soggy!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 08:40:32 PM »
Poor Alfie; I hope his *problem* soon clears up, Nicola!! ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 08:56:37 PM »
I just thought it was cos he was soggy!

It probably was, but just not in the way you thought  :P ph34r :005:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 09:54:09 PM »
I just thought it was cos he was soggy!

It probably was, but just not in the way you thought  :P ph34r :005:

ugghhrr yuk!!!  :lol:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
My poor boy had a bad time last night, in the space of a few hours he went from being fine to being... well, not fine at all. He was licking himself as he has been doing but started to do it more and more and when I had a look I noticed blood and he was obviously in pain  :-\  I took him up to bed with me and neither of us slept much. He would sit with his head hanging looking miserable and then leap around and start licking and biting at himself frantically until he made it bleed again and again. I rang the emergency vet but as we know what it is they said to just bring him in first thing so I was sitting in front of the vets when they opened. The antibiotics haven't worked and neither have the homeopathic remedies and it's also not helping that it's absoutely impossible to keep his underside clean at this time of year. He's been given painkillers and an antibiotic injection so he's back to his usual (if overly licky) self tonight but they're just masking the symptoms and I can't keep doping him up and stuffing him full of antibiotics forever or take the risk of him going through this over and over again. So the upshot is that I had to make a decision and I have to do what's best for the boy long term so after a very in depth talk with two of the vets there he's booked in to be castrated on Friday. They're pretty adamant that this will fix it once and for all and I hope they're right because if it doesn't then short of cutting off his bits as well as his bobs I don't know what else can be done. Tardak isn't a long term option and this is a long term problem, he's had it recurring for a year now as it is and they don't think it'll go away permanently. So there you go, I'm pretty gutted but I hope I've made the best decision for him, I think I have.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 10:32:31 PM »
Aww poor baby  :'( really hope the op does the trick and he can be comfortable and happy once more ...hugs for him and you x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 10:36:57 PM »
Hoping the castration solves the problem for good Nicola.  Poor lad can't keep going through this and nor can you. 

Will be thinking of you both on Friday.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 10:41:40 PM »
Aww poor sausage, I can only imagine how it must feel  :-\ He was fine yesterday at daycare. Is there anything I can do to help the next 2 days? If keeping him clean and dry helps he can wear lilys bodysuit, although it wont cover his boy bits completely....

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 10:46:51 PM »
Aww poor sausage, I can only imagine how it must feel  :-\ He was fine yesterday at daycare. Is there anything I can do to help the next 2 days? If keeping him clean and dry helps he can wear lilys bodysuit, although it wont cover his boy bits completely....

I'm just writing you a note for the morning  :lol:  Meant to ring you earlier but didn't get a chance. I don't want him to stay at home tomorrow and Thursday as I have to be in the office so I can take Friday off but he needs to be kept as clean and dry as possible which should be fun! He should be ok in himself though as the painkillers and injection should tide him over. It seems to affect him more in the evenings and at night, I think when he's out and about it takes his mind off it.

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 10:49:10 PM »
Nicola I hope the castration helps sort him out. Poor thing :'(

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 10:54:42 PM »
Hmmm could be tricky! He wont stay clean and dry underneath unless I stick merlins fleece on him.... It'll be too long so would cover his winky. Dont mind if he pee's on that, can shove it in the wash each night but dunno if that might just irritate him..... If only durex had dog products.....  ;)