Author Topic: Which flea/tick/worm treatment?  (Read 976 times)

Offline pupdaddy

• Site Member
  • What you lookin' at?
Which flea/tick/worm treatment?
« on: January 01, 2008, 07:30:34 PM »
We've currently got Frontline for fleas,ticks and mosquitos. We have Stronghold for mange,worms and earmites. Is there an all-in-one product that someone can recommend? We were using Advantix but Frontline spot-on is cheaper and easier to get (might be a different brand, but same active ingredients)

Robin & Emma & Jarvis

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Which flea/tick/worm treatment?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 07:42:50 PM »
Please don't use Advantix, there have been numerous serious problems for pets on this. The Advantage is fine, but Advantix is the one causing trouble. Possibly a chemical reaction between the two ingredients.

Personally I am wary of "all in one" products, but that's just me  :-\
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline pupdaddy

• Site Member
  • What you lookin' at?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 07:45:56 PM »
OK, turns out I asked the wrong question (after consulation with pupmummy). We'd like to know if there is a tick only treatment so we can just use Stronghold but cover him for ticks as well?
Robin & Emma & Jarvis

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 07:59:08 PM »
Hmm, don't think so, not for ticks only. Frontline makes Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks, and it is cheaper than Advantix.

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 10:06:05 PM »
You could use a Scalibor collar.  They are effective for up to six months and suitable against fleas and ticks. 

I've no idea how much they cost here as I only use them in France where it was €17.00.

Offline brightsparkler

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 05:05:47 PM »
front line def for flea and ticks i use the spray cause you can more off less use as required. worming tablets i get from the vets milbemax and my 3 never had any worm probs.

Offline Matthelen

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 10:44:32 PM »
Having started on frontline, our vet has now put us onto a new drug to hit the market.  It is called advocate and covers fleas, ear mites,mange,heartworm disease, gastro worms, however no sign of ticks , unless it has a latin name I am not sure of.  We thought after talking with the vet it did, as we are in an area where ticks are.  You have now made us stop and think about contacting our vet again to see if ticks are definitely covered.