Author Topic: Zorro gave us a scare last night...  (Read 2433 times)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
Zorro gave us a scare last night...
« on: January 10, 2008, 01:48:09 PM »
About 10.30pm, we were about to go to bed and noticed Zorro didn't seem quite right - he was standing in a real hang-dog way and holding his tail upright and generally looking uncomfortable. About an hour earlier Ali had been grooming him and he'd seemed fine.

I ran my hands over him and realised as I got to his ribs that his abdomen was hugely swollen. He normally has a really petite little waist but his belly was sticking out further than his ribs, it was the size of a football... ph34r

The only thing we could think was that he must've eaten something in the garden that the cat had brought home (she's a notorious thief, brings back various disgusting offerings from bins and people's kitchens  >:D). Anyway I of course started panicking that he had bloat (I know it's not common in cockers but nevertheless, he really was enormous). He kept just lying down looking really listless and was breathing very rapidly and you could feel his heart going ten to the dozen (gums were fine though but even so...). So we rang the emergency vet who said it might be bloat and it was best to err on the side of caution and bring him in, as he'd not been sick, no wind etc etc. Just as we were firming up where to go, he was sick and brought all his dinner back up, so the vet said that was good as it hopefully meant it wasn't bloat (as with bloat they can't get anything in or out of their stomach). So we had to watch him for half an hour and call back with an update.

Half an hour later, he was still really uncomfortable, whining slightly with the pain  :'(  and although his belly had gone down a tiny bit it was still pretty huge. The vet said that at least it was no bigger so to keep watching him and call back if it didn't improve.

Eventually he asked to go out, but promptly just snuggled into a little shrub thing in the garden (walking seemed pretty bad for him). I got him moving around to try and encourage something to happen and he was then sick again. The vet had said if he just brought up saliva that was a bad thing - it was dark (midnight by now) so I couldn't see if he'd brought anything up. He was trying to sniff around whatever it was and getting grumbly with Bella for having a look, so I picked him up under one arm, grumbling away and with vomit dripping off his ears, and plonked him inside. He then ran upstairs and trailed his lovely ears all over the bed (the onlly negative thing to those Ringo ears  :lol:) so while I was outside in my bathrobe inspecting the vomit with a torch, Ali was changing the bed.  :-\

Anyway he had brought up absolutely TONS. God knows what it was, there were white floppy bits, chunks of meat and god knows what else and it absolutely stank - he has 100g of mince for dinner and there must've been at least 3 times that amount.  ph34r

Thankfully that made his belly shrink considerably and he was much more comfortable, but breathing very rapidly and still not a happy boy. We kept him upstairs with us to keep an eye on him, and 3 lots of vomiting later (mostly just bile but we had the ears in it every time and did two linen changes on the bed!) he finally settled down to sleep and his belly was about half the size it had been. Phew.

Anyway this morning he woke up, not his usual bouncy self but obviously much better, and gave us both really gentle little kisses (a bit yukky as he stank having thrown up all that bile!  :005:) but it was really like he was thanking us for having taken care of him. Poor little man.

He had a gentle little breakfast and seemed fine when we left this morning and the dog walkers are going easy on him & keeping an eye on him just to make sure.

Sometimes it's so much like having a baby isn't it!

Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
Re: Zorro gave us a scare last night...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 01:52:06 PM »
Oh what a worry it must have been, glad it seems like he is feeling better now.. so there is a disadvantage of having lovely long ears  :005:
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline wales07

• Site Member
  • Honey - rest in peace my precious
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 01:53:27 PM »
Its worse than having a baby :005:
Poor Zorro.Glad hes feeling better today.He must have eaten something really yucky to have had such an effect on him.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 01:56:26 PM »
He must have eaten something really yucky to have had such an effect on him.

That's what we were saying this morning - he's never even been sick before that we know of and he eats all sorts of rubbish (plus is on a raw diet so gets those raw chicken bacteria all the time).  Trying to scoop it all up into a poo-bag at midnight in the drizzle wasn't something I'd like to repeat too often!  ph34r :lol:  It weighed a tonne.
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline jakesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 01:56:49 PM »
Jake had something similar about a week ago....he was fine all evening but just after we'd gone to bed he was really sick. It was as if he hadn't digested any of his dinner and it had expanded in his belly. He came back to bed but was pretty subdued and very cuddly and I noticed his belly was pretty swollen. After that he got me up about 4 times and was a bit sick (bless him, every time he did it on the towel I keep near the door for wet feet, messy bones etc). Then he eventually settled down for the night and thankfully, the next day was back to normal.

Jake has totally hollow legs and will eat anything and everything, so I imagine he got hold of something that didn't agree with him.

I hope Zorro feels better soon x

Offline TeresaC

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 01:58:53 PM »
Poor Zorro, so glad he is feeling better now x

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 01:59:48 PM »
Poor lad, what a worry - I'm really pleased he's ok
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 02:01:02 PM »
Aw poor Zorro. Hope he continues to get better. You're right, they ARE like kids!!
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 02:17:18 PM »
Poor little guy, I hope he continues to get better.  :luv:

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 02:29:22 PM »
I swear they are worse than kids. Glad he's feeling alot better  :-*
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 02:37:52 PM »
The downside of the long ears and of letting him up on your bed, I reckon!

So glad he's better now. Hope it doesn't happen again.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 02:44:23 PM »
oh poor little man  :'(  (and poor you and Ali...puke duty is dire....)

so pleased he's feeling better and is almost back to his gorgeous self today.  It is horrendous isn't it (and I always ask Jarv what's wrong and what he ate to make him ill, of course I expect him to be able to tell me....  ::)

hope it was just a tummy upset and he is back to His Zorro-ness in full form tonight  :luv: :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 02:44:47 PM »
Oh poor Zorro. Sounds like he really wasn't a happy pup. Hope he's ok now.
-x-
"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 02:46:59 PM »
Oh poor Zorro  :-\  And poor you with all that vomit!  :o  Glad he seemed to have sorted himself out.  ;)

Guess you may never find out what he pigged out on and I don't suppose he will have learned his lesson either!  ::)  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Doggone Mad

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 02:50:09 PM »
What a fright for you  ph34r but glad to hear he is on the mend  :D