Author Topic: another anal gland thread  (Read 2294 times)

Offline helen1

• Site Member
Re: another anal gland thread
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 08:30:57 PM »
Bailey has probs with anal glands.  I have started to give a tablespoon of bran from holland and barret (89p) for a big bag.  It has really made a difference to his poo, bulked it up and its also firmer. Hopefully this will have helped him and may resolve the anal gland issue, fingers crossed.
Loves my family and dog Bailey more than life its self

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 08:55:18 PM »
What are you feeding him Dave?
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 09:35:27 PM »
Poor Alfie, that sounds awful. I have heard them say they flush them out and pack them, but I never asked what with? Have you tried adding bran to his diet to bulk out his pooh? Some people say the Barf diet works well at solving the problem.
I usually have to take Charlie every 4 weeks to get his emptied
Hope Alfie gets sorted out soon. Let us know how he gets on.
...Sammy has never had them emptied, and he's 4!! Each year when he goes for his booster, i ask them if they need doing, and they have always said no :huh: any ideas why??
'Everybody lurrves Sammy!'
03/02/04 - 27/10/14 :'(

Offline bev6951

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 10:20:26 PM »
Poor Alfie, that sounds awful. I have heard them say they flush them out and pack them, but I never asked what with? Have you tried adding bran to his diet to bulk out his pooh? Some people say the Barf diet works well at solving the problem.
I usually have to take Charlie every 4 weeks to get his emptied
Hope Alfie gets sorted out soon. Let us know how he gets on.
...Sammy has never had them emptied, and he's 4!! Each year when he goes for his booster, i ask them if they need doing, and they have always said no :huh: any ideas why??
my vet always says the same (I go to the one on doddington rd) and touch wood my dogs have never had any troubles with it except like I say the other month but there was tell tale signs a couple of days before he was dragging his bottom across the floor quite a bit  :005:  ph34r
Bev, Wilson & Mylee xxx

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 06:14:11 AM »
...only seen Sammy do that once or twice over the years, we go to the B'wood one, not really keen on him, was going to change to the Vet Hosp on Lincoln Rd, but heard bad reports there too ::)
'Everybody lurrves Sammy!'
03/02/04 - 27/10/14 :'(

Offline bev6951

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 09:00:10 AM »
...only seen Sammy do that once or twice over the years, we go to the B'wood one, not really keen on him, was going to change to the Vet Hosp on Lincoln Rd, but heard bad reports there too ::)
i can really reccommend the doddington rd one (its linked with the vet hospital in newport) the male vet there is lovely, really caring  :D
Bev, Wilson & Mylee xxx

Offline fifer

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 10:10:02 AM »
Just thought I'd add that the AMP food is quite a common one and is called Natures Menu, it's the complete one for working dogs.

Also thought I'd add my vets comment - don't want to start a heated debate but .................... he said anal gland problems were more common in docked dogs.  Something to do with the muscles used to move the tail?  Not sure if this is right or not as I've only had two dogs but it made sense when he explained at the time?

I've never had anal gland problems in any of my docked cockers but I have a cavalier (undocked breed very waggy tailed  :shades:) who had the removal op done.
Spaniels In Need

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 04:09:20 PM »
Just thought I'd add that the AMP food is quite a common one and is called Natures Menu, it's the complete one for working dogs.

Also thought I'd add my vets comment - don't want to start a heated debate but .................... he said anal gland problems were more common in docked dogs.  Something to do with the muscles used to move the tail?  Not sure if this is right or not as I've only had two dogs but it made sense when he explained at the time?

Just thought that I would add to this! Milo used to get awfully squitty poos and I had to empty his anal glands every six weeks for a few months (am brave and do it myself but my god what a horrid task). You can get the natures menu in bigger bags of 'pellets', I have just been adding three to each of his meals and it seems to have done the trick. firm poos, no farty smells and no scooting across my nice carpet!  ;) I knwo that its generally not recommened to feed a bit of one food and abit of the other (esp in the same meal) but seems to have worked out okay for us. Plus Milo loves it, he goes back to his bowl about six times after hes finished to make sure it's extra clean!
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline dave w

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 06:36:05 PM »
What are you feeding him Dave?
he's been fed on autarky since we got him

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 10:15:52 PM »
I find dry food can produce quite loose bulky stools. If you try something like Nature diet/menu or the Barf diet the stools will be harder and the anal glands will empty naturally. I think anal gland problems are often linked to diet.....it would be worth a try before embarking on surgery.

It would also be interesting to find out from those COL members that have had anal gland problems with their dogs what they are feeding? Maybe their could be a link with dry food?

Good luck I hope things improve :blink:
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline dave w

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 09:12:02 PM »
well he's been having bran on his food now for a few days and it has certainly bulked up his poo's , if this doesn't work i'll be looking to try him on a raw food diet, i really don't want to go down the surgery route unless there is no other option.

Offline jackie 14

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008, 10:04:44 PM »
Ellie to has problems emptying her anal glands, she was going to the vets every month to have them empied, tried the bran ,it bulked it alright but stools were still to soft. changed her over to burns high oats which had seem to be working, only been emptied once since January, but this weekend my daugther saw her scooting a lot  ( she's training to be a vet nurse) took her to work where they  found them to be infected, antibiotic's for 5 days.  I missed that,   so we will have to do something else.