Author Topic: Kennel Cough  (Read 2524 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Kennel Cough
« on: March 29, 2004, 07:54:30 AM »
We have kennel cough....again.  Vegas just got better on Wednesday and now Dallas has been honking away all weekend. He's feeling quite miserable with it bless him.  But this morning, Vegas started up again :(  It looks like being another endless round of Benylin and antibiotics but can anyone suggest something to make it go away and STAY away :wink:

It would happen on the week we have an agility assessment and obedience display - why do these things never happen when there is nothing on the social calendar :evil:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Kennel Cough
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 10:07:35 AM »
Poor Dallas & Vegas :( Have you tried Dorwest's Garlic & Fenugreek tablets? When we have had the dreaded cough in the past, a course of these tablets seems to knock the symptoms on the head quite quickly without the need for antibiotics - worth a go anyway :)                    
Jane

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Kennel Cough
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 10:23:41 AM »
Poor boys and poor you, we are sorry to hear that the Cough has got you.  Hope the medication makes the boys more comfortable.

Has anyone on the board tried the Kennel Cough vaccine and does it seem to work?  Are there any side-effects?  I was reading about it the other day and wondered whether to ask my vet about it.  

Sue                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Kennel Cough
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 10:33:36 AM »
Trouble is that Kennel Cough is just an umbrella name for lots of different viruses - a bit like the common cold in humans :wink: The vaccine protects against the most common viruses but your dog can still contract a different virus. We did have our dogs vaccinated once & 2 caught kennel cough just a month or two later so we don't bother any more. Boarding kennels do require dogs to have had the kennel cough vaccine though, something to bear in mind if you need to put your dog in kennels at any time.                    
Jane

Offline PennyB

Kennel Cough
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 10:48:08 AM »
Has anyone on the board tried the Kennel Cough vaccine and does it seem to work?  Are there any side-effects?  I was reading about it the other day and wondered whether to ask my vet about it.  

Sue

Its only worth considering if you're intending to put your dogs in kennels. When Ruby had hers the 1st time she developed a mild variety of th esymptoms which my vet warned me could happen in some dogs but it went quite quickly                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Kennel Cough
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 10:48:17 AM »
Thanks for the information, Jane.    It sounds like it is a bit of an exercise in futility!  How frustrating to vaccine and still catch the Cough.  As we are fortunate that Tilly can holiday with family rather than kennels I probably won't bother.  I will try the crossed-fingers preventative treatment!                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Kennel Cough
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 10:53:52 AM »
When Phoebe went to Kennels last year she had her vac for Kennel cough. When she came back she was fine.

The vet said it only lasts 6 months anyway and only do it if she's going to kennels.                    
Anita

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Kennel Cough
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 11:06:11 AM »
I might be wrong, but I thought antibioctics didnt work for kennel cough, in the same way they are not good for the common cold. I know when my dogs had it the vet was going to give them antibiotics and some expensive cough medicine. I asked about benilin and also garlic tablets and he reluctantly agreed that this was just as good  and I can out  nearly £60 better off :D                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Kennel Cough
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 11:50:52 AM »
I might be wrong, but I thought antibioctics didnt work for kennel cough, in the same way they are not good for the common cold. I know when my dogs had it the vet was going to give them antibiotics and some expensive cough medicine. I asked about benilin and also garlic tablets and he reluctantly agreed that this was just as good  and I can out  nearly £60 better off :D

Antibiotics are usually prescribed to prevent secondary bacterial infection.
I think a fit, normally healthy dog would recover after a few days without treatment, depending on the particular strain they pick up.
I had a particulary nasty bout a few years ago and my dogs only started to recover once they were all treated with antibiotics.
I now give mine Garlic and Fenugreek as Jane suggested as a prophylactic.
A couple of teaspoons of honey a day is soothing for dogs affected by K.C, set honey is best as runny honey can be a bit messy.

Tracey                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Kennel Cough
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2004, 02:48:39 PM »
I have ordered the garlic & fenugreek tablets and they should be with me tomorrow morning.  Will persevere with the benilyn until then and pray for a full nights sleep :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)