Author Topic: Betsy's ears are bad again  (Read 958 times)

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
Betsy's ears are bad again
« on: May 27, 2008, 09:41:06 AM »
Betsy has always had lots of ear infections.  Last year she had intensive treatment including having her ears flushed out again and then 6 months of anti biotics and daily cleaning.  We thought we had finally beaten it and started to use Thornit on a weekly basis but her ears have flared up again. 

Betsy has a dairy allergy and is fed on JWB and only has JWB treats or carrots but I keep wondering if BARF would help. 

I have booked for her to go to the Vets this evening and i am sure they will suggest an aural resection as last year they said that if she continued to have problems then this may be the only solution.  To be honest i am not sure what to do and whether it might be worth considering the operation.  I guess i need to wait and see what the Vet suggests. 

Offline wend

• Site Member
Re: Betsy's ears are bad again
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 10:18:38 AM »
Summer had loads of ear infections last year, the vet kept giving her the antibiotic ear drops but it would flare up again a couple of weeks later. Eventually they gave her some oral antibiotics and she hasn't had an infection for a few months now. I assume the vet has tried the oral antibiotics! Some people on here also suggested the 'BARF' diet but it didn't suit Summer. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 12:25:54 PM »
Poor Betsy - Bella had endless ear infections in her first year. She was literally at the vet's every other week for more antibiotics, ear drops, ear cleaning stuff, you name it. Thornits didn't seem to work for her really either and the poor thing was getting so miserable being pinned down day after day for ear drops.

This was one of the main reasons I switched her to BARF in November 2005 (that plus anal gland problems). I can hand on heart say that since that day in 2005 when she had her first chicken wing, she has not had a SINGLE ear infection. I rarely even need to use a cleaner on her ears (can't even remember the last time I did them it's been that long) and the last time the vet looked down them he said "Wow, I can see almost to the bottom of her ear canal which is pretty amazing for a cocker".  :D

I was a bit sceptical about BARF being a miracle cure but decided after alot of reading to give Bella a 3 month trial and see how it went. I never looked back - she'd also been starting to get eye infections pre-BARF but these also stopped.

Basically pre-BARF we were at the vet's literally once a fortnight, and post-BARF (in 2 and a half years) we have been once for a ripped claw and twice for her boosters.

So my experience has been wholly positive. Zorro's been on it since 11 weeks and hasn't had any trips to the vets either.  :shades:  He does have excess wax in his ears and I'm sure if he were on kibble we'd have lots of infections, but as it is, he's never had to have eardrops and he'll be two in August.

So IMO I'd say definitely give Betsy a go on it - if it doesn't work out then you can always go back to the JWB so you have nothing to lose.

Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 03:20:28 PM »
Could the daily cleaning be also keeping the ears wet and a good environment for the problems to flourish.

Wilf has terrible problems in one ear but I very rarely use cleaners as at one time his ears were just constantly wet and I wasn't getting anywhere.

Now I just use thornitts once a week but if he has a flareup I use it twice a day for a few days and that seems to sort it.

Those who I've spoken to who'd have the op say its quite a drastic step and some wouldn't do it if they'd had the chance to make the decision again.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 04:56:06 PM »
Could the daily cleaning be also keeping the ears wet and a good environment for the problems to flourish.
/quote]

Sorry i didn't make it clear, she only had daily cleaning for 6 months last year until we were given the all clear. 

Betsy has never been given oral antibiotics for her ears so that might be worth me mentioning to the Vet tonight and i think i will give her a try on BARF.  To be honest i would try anything to get it sorted out.  Poor Betsy, if they suggest flushing her ears out again, this will be the 3rd time. 

Offline BabyB

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 05:56:33 PM »
Morgan had ear infections, and anitibiotics didn't seem to clear it up. We then noticed he had dry skin at the base of his tail, like dandruff.

Our vet took a blood test and sent it off and he had 8+ allergies that were grass and tree pollen related.

I now give him an injection once a month, and he also has ear drops to help de-grease the ears too.
We also use sebomild shampoo and ear cleaner, so they might be worth a try.  I stopped the ear cleaner for a while as I always thought it would make them wet until my vet said it was okay to use every day if needed as it actually dries the ears out.

Might be worth a go if you don't use that one (get it from the vets).

Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 06:51:24 PM »
Well we are back from the vets.  Betsy was so good and the vet said that was probably her downfall as she is so brave and strong she doesnt show her symptons until things get really bad.   :luv:

Betsy has to go back on Thursday to have her ears flushed out and so they can take a sample and find out if it is the same mite as last time. Then they will treat her with oral antibiotics and an ear drop called 'trix'???  She was very anti the surgery which was good but did say that we would probably need to keep coming back every 6 months or so to keep it away. 

Looks like BARF is the next step!

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 07:25:46 PM »
Poor Betsy  :'(

I hope you find a solution soon for the poor girl.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline Jo_Zebedee

• Site Member
  • Zebedee the Sprocker
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 02:06:18 PM »
How are you all applying the Thornit powder into your dogs ears?  I purchased a bottle of it but am having difficulty getting the stuff where it needs to go without an applicator (I am only given a couple of seconds before my dog escapes from me).
Jo

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 02:30:42 PM »
Hi Jo,

i just put a very small amount on the end of the handle of a teaspoon, one that has a more pointed end and just tip into their ears, it only takes a couple of seconds. ;)

Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum