Author Topic: "Lucy" wont stay still  (Read 1307 times)

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
"Lucy" wont stay still
« on: June 01, 2008, 06:34:48 PM »
As you know Lucy was spayed on Friday, she is recovering so well infact toooo well, i cant stop her from running around, i have taken her out on her lead as advised by the vet, but as soon as we get in she runs round and round like a loon, when i let her in the garden for a wee she just goes nuts running around wanting to play, chasing whatever she can find.
Is this going to do any harm, im checking her wound (which she is leaving alone) and its healing really nice, should i be trying to harder to keep her still and advice would help, my dogs a nutcase  :005:
I thought it would calm her down for at least a week  :005:

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline octopus

• Site Member
Re: "Lucy" wont stay still
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 06:45:57 PM »
Sounds pretty usual to me. They soon get over the anaesthetic and think they're ok again. If you have a crate you could try giving her some down time in that perhaps. If she is not bothering her wound and it looks ok.......They are not like us...no lifting etc for 6 weeks! But it is a worry...don't know if other people have had the same.Hope she is soon well again, tho' she doesn't sound poorly! Healing vibes are on their way.
Annie G

Offline tillyson

• i belive i can fly
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 06:50:46 PM »
Tilly was exactly the same, trying to run around like a headless chicken, she tried to get up on sofa's, up the stairs as i told you in your other thread my nerves were shot, you can only do your best and i know what hard work it is, a short lead walk is never enough for them :luv:  i'm sure your doing a great job  ;)
chantelle & Tilly

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 08:21:20 PM »
Not like kids are they, when they cannot run about you can give them a book to read or the telly to watch, a game of ludo or a puzzle - little minx :shades:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 08:30:08 PM »
Hi, When Molly was spayed she was the same.  She felt normal the day after the op and tried to get on with business as usual.  She ended up getting a very big lump under the scar and the vet was very unhappy.  In the end I had to send Jagger to stay with my Mum for a week and keeping Molly on a lead 24/7 the whole time, using compresses on the wound!

I am sure that "lucy" will be fine, just a warning about activity levels.  Molly was perfectly fine and the wound still healed really well.  Good luck keeping her still - a tasty bone might help. Also training instead of off lead walks might wear her out a bit  ;)

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 08:43:46 PM »
She ended up getting a very big lump under the scar and the vet was very unhappy.  In the end I had to send Jagger to stay with my Mum for a week and keeping Molly on a lead 24/7 the whole time, using compresses on the wound!
Aww poor youm and poor Molly, glad she was okay after  :luv:

Im trying sooo much with her, training in the garden, hide and seek with biscuits you name it, she has always been mad and a wanderer and is never really still, im just surprised how quickly they bounce back, the little so and so's think they are made of stronger stuff than us hoomans  :005:

Oooh hang on she has finally gone and laid in her bed, we might can an hours respite now  :005:

Thanks everyone  :luv:

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 08:53:08 PM »
The vet said that the worst thing was jumping, or going up steps.  Anything which puts too much stress on the scar.  So I am sure with all that you are doing, she will be just fine.  Probably worse for you, I remember how worn out I was.  Go get a glass of wine quick, before she wakes up  :005:

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 07:49:58 AM »
Millie was spayed one week before Lucy and we have had just the same problem keeping her from jumping up and running around. We put the cushions from the chairs on the floor so she didn't have to jump up so far but blink and she is leaping over them for instance..
The worst though is that one of the vets said that at 15kg Millie is too fat and must go on a diet. Now she has already developed an enormous appetite!
Best wishes to Lucy and glad she is doing so well.

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 07:59:34 AM »
is she a chewer, mine will lie with one of those big rawhide knotted things for ages , im sure she will be ok,most spaniels are exactly the same no matter what the OP theres no calming them down,kizz is 11 and once she had got over her spinal OP she is jumping on and off sofa 20 times a day,and up and down stairs, ive tried to keep her quiet, no chance  >:D >:D >:D
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy