Author Topic: Sore toes  (Read 806 times)

Offline doodlesniff

Sore toes
« on: August 07, 2008, 09:03:18 AM »
Baxter started licking his poors on Sunday. Monday morning he was still doing it so I rang the vets. The got me in on Wednesday (they're unsually quicker than that  >:(). At the top of some of his toes he is quite red and the vet says it dermatitis (sp?), he's put him on antihistamine and antibiotics, but he's talking about steriods and a lampshade (!) if it doesn't clear up in a week.

This is the first health issue we've had in Baxters 3years. Does anyone have any insight/advice for me? Vet was talking as if it is going to be difficult to get rid of. Is it something Baxter is always going to have a problem with?

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Sore toes
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 04:41:13 PM »
Afraid your vet is right. Often these are related to seasonal allergies, and allergy testing may turn up things that can't be avoided, like grass and dust  >:( Like with humans, allergies can develop later in life, although dogs allergies show through their skin rather than their sinus like humans.

Very hard to say if this is something he'll always have problems with. He may only have it at certain times of year, or only when certain plants or grasses are in a phase that aggravates his allergies.

Be very careful about walking him anywhere that has been chemically treated and certain kinds of garden mulch can cause allergic reactions. You may want to wash his feet after walks with hibiscrub or something similar, and dry very thoroughly.

You may also want to research homeopathic remedies. You have to match the remedy to the symptom, so you'll need a good book on veterinary homeopathy, but the remedy Rhus Tox is a very good place to start for skin allergies  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline doodlesniff

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 02:56:31 PM »
Thanks for the advice. :)

Baxter seems to be responding to the medication. Researching natural rems as it does seem to be an allergy, so i think we're going to have to learn to catch it early and see if we can see a pattern to it at all.

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 03:31:48 PM »
Aw I hope Baxter is better soon, a buster collar is horrible - Jagger hates his and my legs end up looking like I am a battered wife  :005: