Author Topic: Whiffy ears  (Read 680 times)

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
Whiffy ears
« on: September 26, 2008, 07:11:38 AM »
Darcey  :luv: is a little bit of a stinky puppy, mostly due to always walking through (and sometimes rolling in) her own wee   :005: and dangling her ears in her dinner. I keep up with this with baby wipes (which she is obsessed with sucking!) and a weekly bath. The weekly bath is in part to get her used to bathing as she hates it, I'd ideally like to bath her less often.

Anyway I have noticed that even when she is super clean there is a doggy smell - and close investigation suggests it is coming from in her ears. Now I am not a fan of the smell of dog  ph34r and was wondering if I could do anything about it - and is it a sign that something is wrong in there? She goes a bit bonkers when I try to inspect them but I think they are pink with no wax, just a bit doggish.

I have read about Thornits ear powder - would that sort the smell and prevent any probs? Or is she too young still (10 weeks)? Or do I just have to accept that I now own a dog and therefore will have to tolerate the smell of dog   :lol:

Offline Mundyboy

Re: Whiffy ears
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 08:38:08 AM »
Thornit powder worked for my boy.  In just a couple of days his ears had stopped itching and smelt better. (They now smell like an old fashioned chemists however)!  It only takes a very little application and is good to have in your Dog First Aid Kit anyway.  If you search this site you will find where to purchase.  As to washing, I would suggest you keep up the experience of wash on a regular basis to get Darcey used to the routine.  There is going to come a time when a full wash is necessary and you do not want an all out war on your hands!  Good luck.
I love my dogs.  They make it worth getting out of bed in the morning.

Offline jenza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 10:28:44 AM »
I have the same smelly problem with Tilly, her ears looked fine and they never bothered her, no shaking or scratching etc.  Following my posts on hear others said see your vet so I mentioned it to vet yesterday when she went in to be spayed, and they had a look and said she had a slight ear infection which was causing the problem.  So maybe worth just letting your vet have a lookie

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 04:34:40 PM »
Thank you both ... I have had a good peer in her ears tonight (while hubby distracted her with kibble   :005:) and there was some brown wax so i have gently cleaned that away with a wipe. I did mean to mention it when I took her to the vets for her jabs on weds but was so upset about my baby getting her jab that I forgot  ph34r

I'll see how it goes and ask them to have a peek next time. In the meantime I may invest in some Thornits...

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 05:53:02 PM »
Thornit is cheap on ebay, if I remember right. You really do only need a wee bit and the bottle will last for several hundred years!

Just a thought. Rather than getting her used to a bath (and once a week is quite a lot) it might be worth while to concentrate on getting her used to having her ears checked - you'll have to be able to do that far more than you'll have to bath her.

With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Lynne L

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 10:21:54 AM »
Thornit powder worked for us after several hundred pounds spent at vets on ear drops/flushing out under sedation etc.
Lynne :D