Author Topic: Vet won't spay until 3mths after last season.....  (Read 1414 times)

Offline emilymae

• Sue and Emily-Mae
Vet won't spay until 3mths after last season.....
« on: October 28, 2008, 08:05:40 PM »
Is this a usual practice?  I booked Emily in for today, and made the appointment last August when she was just finishing her first season.  I phoned the vet last night to confirm she was coming in today and she asked about her last season.  Then she said because it was not 3 mths since then (just 2and a half) that we couldn't have her done. She said it was because the blood vessels might not have returned to normal. Then when I said i would book her in for christmas hols instead (so I could be with her) she said that was no good because that could be too close to her next season, and the blood vessels would be large again!!  She advised me just to have her done on a Friday, spend the weekend with her, and go back to work on Monday as usual!!  Any thoughts?
Tilly. Forever remembered

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Vet won't spay until 3mths after last season.....
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 08:08:49 PM »
Vets do prefer to spay midway between seasons for the reasons stated but I wouldn't have thought 2 weeks would have made that much difference  :huh:  I got Jersey spayed on a Friday so I had the weekend with her and she was fine. I made sure she was wearing her t-shirt when I wasn't there so that neither she nor the others could get to her wound.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 08:13:56 PM »
2wks really don't make much difference either way imo

many rescue dogs are done asap without knowing when their last season was ( obviously if they are showing signs then they aren't done ) and they have been fine - i have had a few done with no problems  ;)
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 10:10:18 PM »
Yes it is usual practise of most good vets - it's the safest time to spay. Although a few weeks here and there shouldn't make too much difference. She should be right as rain the day after so you should be ok to go back to work on the Monday although you will have to keep an eye on her over the weekend incase she starts to nibble and lick at her wound/stitches. I haven't had any that have bothered with them but some do ;)
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 10:14:18 PM »
Unless she has two seasons you're not going to know her season cylcle, she may go more than 6 months between each season. So although your vet is right in theory about spaying mid way,the months involved vary from bitch to bitch.

Offline Boo

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 08:52:30 AM »
Hi, in my very limited experience of having Gracie spayed a weekend with her would be plenty - it was keeping her from bouncing around on walks that proved the problem!  :D

Offline Kimberley

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 09:18:20 AM »
Breeze is being spayed this Friday,  her season started 30th July.  I was advised on the date of spaying by the vet, the reason being, the hormone level needs to be back to normal. As you can see its exactly 3 months for Breeze
Kim is owned by Coco, Breeze the Cockers and Charlie the (failed foster)Cavi

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 10:28:09 AM »
2wks really don't make much difference either way imo

many rescue dogs are done asap without knowing when their last season was ( obviously if they are showing signs then they aren't done ) and they have been fine - i have had a few done with no problems  ;)

Yes my vet spays quite a few of our rescue dogs like this and will also do it 5 weeks after the end of the season if the season is known and he's been very successful over the years but then you should she the surgery he does on them they all come back with the neatest smallest spay wound you've ever seen compared to other vets we know ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline emilymae

• Sue and Emily-Mae
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 10:34:06 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies, I obviously just want the best for Emily, so waiting isn't a problem really.  Had just geared myself up for yesterday, and was disappointed that it didn't go ahead.  Thanks again, you're a great bunch!  :blink:
Tilly. Forever remembered

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 10:22:15 AM »
3 months after a season basically allows the internal girlie bits to go back to normal and for their hormones to settle down.