Author Topic: A Flea Question....any help much appreciated!  (Read 1681 times)

Offline LittleMiss

A Flea Question....any help much appreciated!
« on: November 09, 2008, 06:09:36 PM »
Hi All,

As you've probably guessed we have a flea problem :-(
It seems our 2 boys are covered in them! Have given them both a good brush with a flea comb, found loads on 1 dog (Jake) and hardly any on the other (Bobby). Bobby has a lot thicker coat so not sure if the comb just isn't getting in deep enough.

Anyway, having read lots of old threads on this site, I've ordered Frontline and Indorex spray from VetsUK and will try to find some flea bomb things for the house (not sure which of these to get?).

Sorry I'm rambling....on to my question! I have a 4fleas shampoo here that I bought earlier before using my head and doing some research. Do you think I should shampoo both boys tonight before the other treatment arrives or is this a pointless excercise. Will I be better off waiting and doing the frontline and house treatment together?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
Re: A Flea Question....any help much appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 07:18:42 PM »
Awww your poor boys  :-\

I would give them a bath this evening, it won't sort your flea problem out, but it will give your boys a bit of relief and will help remove a lot of the flea poo which can irritate their skin. After they've had their baths I would go round the house with a hoover and give all your carpets/soft furnishings a good going over. This way when the other flea treatments arrive you'll have already got the ball rolling and on the way to a flea free home  :D
The combination of regular frontlining, flea bombs in the house and hoovering should get rid of the fleas in about a month (fleas have a 3 week reproductive cycle (methinks!))

Good luck  :D

mary xxx

Offline t1gg3er

• Donator
  • Darby & Dexter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 08:16:46 PM »
Oh, I really feel for you!

I'd give them the bath tonight for some temporary relief for them.

You can now buy Frontline at Pets at Home so if you have one near & can get there in the morning it'd save a day or two's worth of itching  ;).  No idea about flea bombs tho I'm afraid.

Hope you manage to evict your uninvited guests quickly!
Vanessa, Rob, Boys & Doglets
x

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 09:51:41 PM »
indorex is very good i have used it

but can someone tell me what a "flea bomb" is ?
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 10:13:12 PM »
indorex is very good i have used it

but can someone tell me what a "flea bomb" is ?

Its a device that once activated "fogs" a room with a pesticide - can be very effective, however you have to leave the room unoccupied for a while and they stink a bit.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 10:20:26 PM »
I've used flea bombs when cat decided to bring dead hedgehog throu cat flap!!  :P :P

It is like a firework / candle that you sit on a saucer, light then have to leave the room for approx 3-4 hours. (I did one in every room and went out for the day taking dogs with me and locking cats out).

You have to be careful if you have fish, I wrapped lid of aquarium in cling film then put bin bag over it (hexagon tank not 4 ft one!)

If I was you, would treat the dogs first, then fleabomb same day if poss (book day out at mum's or something  :005:)

Hope this helps
Sam
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 10:22:48 PM »
 :o   :o 

never knew such things exsisted,you learn plenty on col,even if it is about fleas  :lol:
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline mac

• Site Member
  • fuse
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 10:31:31 PM »
flea bombs try not to get the ones that have a wick like candle try( they could go out before the full effect has worked) on large rooms get the aerosol ones you sit them on a bit paper press the button and leave them for a few hours.  we ended up with fleas in the office at work after we were all bit to death they ( boss) got some of these fleas bombs they were great we were left un bitten
love from fuse and lisa and now adding little sox

Offline Spaniel Girl

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 11:08:32 PM »
You could try your local chemist for Frontline, I was in my local Co-Op chemist the other day and noticed they were selling it.  I shall be buying my next batch from them as it saves on postage.  :D

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 11:10:48 PM »
Generally get my flea treatments on-line as most of the Vet-medic type sites don't charge postage.  I bulk buy as have cats & dogs.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 07:17:35 AM »
having 3 dogs and 3 cats , i have to keep the house sprayed, i go round twice a year with a can of  raid (red one) and spray my carpets and furniture  prob not the most enviromentaly friendly but it does the job . i spray ,then take the dogs out and lock the cats out for an hour or so,come home open the windows for abit  job done  ;) i use frontline on the dogs and cats , dont think the household stuff you get from the vets is very good and its expensive
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 08:01:55 AM »
I used Skoosh to spray the house a few weeks ago and it seems to work. It's not an insecticide but contains silicones, which according to the product website coat and immobilise the adults. Skoosh also coats the eggs and larvae with silicones so they can't hatch or develop, so breaking the life cycle.

You spray it on any soft surfaces where your dog goes, but not on hard surfaces like vinyl floors. A good vacuuming should sort them out. I've used it on dog beds, sofas, my bed, curtains and carpets in rooms where William goes. No damage to any of the fabrics.

I'm sounding a bit like a saleswoman, but so far I've been impressed!

Offline LittleMiss

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 06:33:05 PM »
Thanks for your replies! Sorry for the slow reply but it's been a bit chaotic.
We've carried on getting as many out with the flea comb and spraying the furniture and both boys have had a bath with the flea shampoo.
Frontline and good room spray (can't remember the name!) is due to arrive tomorrow so will try and get some flea bombs too and do the whole house and dogs from top to bottom! Not looking forward to that!

I was just going to 'bomb' the 2 carpeted rooms that the boys are mostly in and blitz everywhere else (kitchen and upstairs with hoover and spray, do you think this would be OK?
Dogs never go upstairs so I'm assuming it won't be so bad....only what has gone up on me and hubbie if anything???

Thanks again, it's nice to have some virtual support with these things,
from Rachel and Itchy & Scratchy (formerly Jake & Bobby!)

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 10:54:43 PM »
Another tip - Neem - if you feed your dogs Neem sticks (3 a day) and shampoo with Neem shampoo (they also have a petguard spray as well to act as a repellant) and also Frontline (which you can get from PAH) that should give your dogs maximum protection.  Here is the link: http://www.mekuti.co.uk/neem.htm - the orange coloured shampoo is quite expensive at £9.99 a bottle but it claims to kill fleas, mites and cures mange as well.  I will always keep a bottle in for during the summer in particular because of the risk of mites from grass etc.

Like others have said we spray our house twice a year and frontline our cats as well  ;)  Hope that helps and you get rid of your flea problem  ;)
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk