Author Topic: 1st season - further advice needed  (Read 1312 times)

Offline rubyrules

• 0ur beautiful bundle of fun, R.I.P 30/5/2019
1st season - further advice needed
« on: February 04, 2009, 08:11:14 PM »
Ruby is nearly 9 months and today has started her first season, she appears to be very unsure as to what is going on and has been crying whilst cleaning herself.Can anyone give me any idea if this is normal and if this will last the full time she is bleeding. Ruby is our first dog and I have not gone through this before, I have read the post about seasons so have got lots of info from there already. Any advice would be really appreciated, thankyou  :huh:
Ruby our 1st cocker baby 10/5/2008 - 30/5/2019. You gave us so much, we are so lucky to have shared our lives with you. Run free sweet girl,  until we hold you again  xx

Offline ruby ruby doo

• Site Member
Re: 1st season - not happy
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 08:20:10 PM »
guess like us they are all different! It isn t as straightforward as I thought either even when you read up about it..My Ruby is 2 in May..and she suddenly turns into a miserable old lady when the hormones kick in.. droops around and gets cross...( ::) Just like us!)  She swells up down there, but there is never any discharge which suprises me. I hope your Ruby copes okay with her new "womanhood!" , and am sure someone will have more experience of this to reassure you Jo n Ruby doo x
jo & ruby =)

Offline rubyrules

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 08:31:03 PM »
Thankyou, we noticed the other day that her bits were swollen so we were expecting it.  I am also unsure as to whether I should let her off the lead during her "danger time" ? she loves to run and bring back her ball, feel sorry for her if I am not able to let her do this.
Ruby our 1st cocker baby 10/5/2008 - 30/5/2019. You gave us so much, we are so lucky to have shared our lives with you. Run free sweet girl,  until we hold you again  xx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 09:32:04 PM »
I am also unsure as to whether I should let her off the lead during her "danger time" ? she loves to run and bring back her ball, feel sorry for her if I am not able to let her do this.

Please, please don't  :-\    If they must be taken out, then bitches in season should really be exercises on-lead away from popular dog walking areas; dogs (neutered and entire) will follow her scent for miles and put in danger as a result  :'(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:56:14 PM »
Yes its normal behaviour.

I agree with Cob-Web,i wouldn't let her wee outside your house either and if you take her out for her walk its best to go a bit earlier when other dogs arnt out.

Offline rubyrules

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 09:57:24 PM »

Please, please don't  :-\    If they must be taken out, then bitches in season should really be exercises on-lead away from popular dog walking areas; dogs (neutered and entire) will follow her scent for miles and put in danger as a result  :'(
[/quote]

Again thank you for your advice, you mention there if they must be taken out, does that mean you would only let her go in the garden, and not for any walks? I am sorry if I sound dense but this is all new to me.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 10:03:18 PM »
Again thank you for your advice, you mention there if they must be taken out, does that mean you would only let her go in the garden, and not for any walks? I am sorry if I sound dense but this is all new to me.

If you can keep her exercised and stimulated in your garden or other enclosed, secure space (supervised) for the duration of her season, then it is probably best - she will become receptive and actively try and seek a mate, so might try to escape the garden, and local male dogs may try to escape and get to her too, so all in all, close supervision for the duration is probably best  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 10:04:14 PM »
I used to take Indie out at night when the regular dog walkers weren't about and we stuck to the streets, if she was being a right pain then we would go straight back in again.    You might find she squats every couple of steps marking the area  ::) and its not just the dogs you have to worry about in terms of getting to her, mine was desperate to get away to find a mate and it made walking an awful experience for a few days out of the season hence we missed a lot of the walks out. 

I suppose it depends how the season affects yours. 

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 10:05:25 PM »

I have taken both of mine out when in season...on-lead... as i really don't think its fair on them to not go out for 4 weeks...they feel miserable enough without being stuck in for all that time   :-\

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 10:06:23 PM »

I have taken both of mine out when in season...on-lead... as i really don't think its fair on them to not go out for 4 weeks...they feel miserable enough without being stuck in for all that time   :-\

Agree with this, its not fair to expect her to just play in the garden for a month. 

Offline dizzymare

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 10:16:25 PM »
ellie kept crying too and was really unsettled. it was a bit of a nightmare to be honest.  we kept her in for a while and then resorted to pavement walking where it was less likely that we would meet a dog off lead. we crossed over if we saw a dog approaching (on lead) but didnt have too much problem

Offline rubyrules

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 03:33:49 PM »
Ok so ruby has been in season 2 weeks this wednesday, she has stopped bleeding (very occasional spotting) so I am thinking this then is her DANGER TIME, am I right in thinking by next friday ( approx 10 days after the bleeding has stopped) she will ok again to go for her long walks and be let off her lead?
Please can anyone give me advice  :huh:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: 1st season - further advice needed
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 03:40:46 PM »
She should be ok by then bit I'd still keep a close eye on her, and on other dogs reactions to her  ;)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline rubyrules

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 06:23:28 PM »
Thanks a lot, would hate after all this time of limiting her to the garden and very minimal lead walking, to let her off too early and for her to get into a compromising situation  :005:

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 06:59:28 PM »
I walked Roxy during her season on-lead at times to avoid other dog walkers.  If we did see anyone I picked her up quick! People thought I was very strange until I explained she was in season and I didn't want any accidents!! Luckily we didn't meet a single entire male so I must be lucky round here!