Author Topic: very worried about injection lump  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
  • Perfect Poppy (almost!)
very worried about injection lump
« on: April 21, 2009, 08:37:28 PM »
Hi,

I took Poppy for her second injection at 5pm this afternoon. She cried a lot and I have now (8.15pm) just noticed a lump on her neck where she was injected. It wasn't there before. After the vet she had a good run around the garden and was fine. She had had dinner and is drinking fine. She is slightly more tired than usual but is still playing fine. I phoned the out of hours vet who said it wasn't normal but that we could wait for tomorrow or pay £150 to take her now. Obviously we will pay that but I am not sure if he has more of a vested interest in us coming in. He also said she should be fine to wait till the morning. She is playing happily at the moment but cries if you touch the lump. Anyone else had a similar experience? I have typed it into google and it does seem that it does happen.
Sorry for the long post, I am panicking slightly!
Poppy is now one! Watch her first year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqf3TnIL6c

Offline cerinrich

Re: very worried about injection lump
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 08:38:48 PM »
Hattie had a little lump after her second injection, although she didn't seem to mind it being touched/stroked

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 08:40:17 PM »
Not sure about dogs but I have often had a lump after a vaccination.  If she seems her normal self, I would probably wait until the morning and see how she is then  ;)  I am sure someone will be along soon with a definitive answer  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 08:40:50 PM »
I think I would be more worried if Poppy was off colour or very quiet, but if she is ok in herself I would be tempted to wait until the morning.  Reactions can sometimes happen and by the morning it might have gone down, if not you could always pop in for a check up.

Bens mum

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 09:02:52 PM »
you could give her some piriton which may help - a childs dose  ;)

If you are at all worried about reactions to vaccinations please report it to your vet so it goes on your dogs records  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline k9love

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 09:06:57 PM »
I have had pups have this before (not Cockers) and always found the lump goes away after a couple of days, would get it checked out tho if its still there in a few days time.

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 09:14:55 PM »
Hi , yes Dennis my cocker pup now 19weeks had the same and was quite sore , and tonight roo Dennis's hungarien vizsla friend who is here playing at the moment had hers this morning and now has lump  :blink: so unless its really excessive i wouldnt worry  :D

Offline bernie

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 09:17:42 PM »
This happened to Ruby, It was a few years ago now, but I think it was because the needle went in the wrong place, the vet was very apologetic and did not charge me for further check ups, regarding the lump. The lump went down and there was no further ill effects from it.  It has never happened again on subsequent vacs.
Love Bernie, Ruby and Ted x

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 09:33:39 PM »
Thank you all so much! You have made me feel a lot better. Will ring the vet in the morning and see what they say.
I have now decided that she is actually more awake than usual this evening! The lump doesn't seem to be hurting her anymore- she is currently rolling around on her back! It is still there and is soft to touch- like fluid. I did think maybe the vet missed because she yelped so much. She didn't make a sound the first time! Have done some sit and lay training and she is still very alert.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 08:18:02 PM »
Lily had exactly the same reaction.......and then developed a small abscess.  The vet told me, at the time, that it was an allergy to something in the vaccine.  And, strangely, we later found out the hard way, that she was fiercely allergic to Penicillin too.  Don't know if there is any parallel....but, check it out.
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 08:19:31 PM »
Has the lump gone down now Victoria?  :huh:
Julie and Watson

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 08:46:28 PM »
Yes completely! We rang our vet first thing in the morning and she didn't seem worried at all! She didn't want to see her. Just said that if we were worried she would look at her for our piece of mind (for free!). We were happy that Poppy was happy so we left it and kept an eye on her. She said it was probably soft tissue reaction and not an infection which would take longer to happen. It stopped being sore the next day. Its on her notes now for future reference. We were very worried at the time though, thank goodness for COL. I almost posted on here before I rang the vet! :005:

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 08:48:26 PM »
Lily had exactly the same reaction.......and then developed a small abscess.  The vet told me, at the time, that it was an allergy to something in the vaccine.  And, strangely, we later found out the hard way, that she was fiercely allergic to Penicillin too.  Don't know if there is any parallel....but, check it out.

Thank you, this is worth remembering for the future. (Although hopefully we won't have to find out.)

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 08:52:09 PM »
No, hopefully not.............
I only mentioned it because I wondered whether there was any parallel.....but, I suppose a lot of puppies suffer a reaction from having a needle poked into their skin.... 
Good luck....and, I hope little Poppy will ok.  She looks absolutely gorgeous. x
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 08:55:10 PM »
No, hopefully not.............
I only mentioned it because I wondered whether there was any parallel.....but, I suppose a lot of puppies suffer a reaction from having a needle poked into their skin.... 
Good luck....and, I hope little Poppy will ok.  She looks absolutely gorgeous. x

Thank you, she is! Pictures of her in the garden on photo board. She is not quite so white anymore!