Author Topic: Why so keen on castration?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Monty Mumma

Why so keen on castration?
« on: May 26, 2009, 04:59:01 PM »
Hello,

I'm just wondering why there seems to be a certain amount of pressure put on you or assumtion esp from vets that you will automatically have your dog castrated?

As soon as we took Monty for his first jabs it was thrust into our faces...when shall we book him in etc etc and they look so shocked that we didn't want it done? They couldn't even give me an answer when I challenged them as to why I should get it done!

Am I missing some big secret here?

Also, we were considering getting a rescue cocker but on one site the rules are they will only consider you if your own dogs have been castrated...why?  I can understand if it was a female as more un wanted pups in the world is the last thing they want but 2 males and the rescue one would be 'done' anyway what would be the problem??

I feel like I have done something wrong sometimes!! I just can't see the sense in putting my baby through pain just to chop his bits off if there i no good reason for doing so.

He has never been a 'humpy' dog, not aggressive, has never gone mad if he has met a girl dog who was on heat......so I'm lost?

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Why so keen on castration?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 05:35:33 PM »
There are probably several reasons why some vets encourage people to have their dogs neutered - there is a big unwanted dog problem in this country, particularly in certain areas and obviously if dogs are spayed/castrated then they can't add to the already huge number of puppies born every year. From that point of view I can see why vets encourage owners to have their dogs neutered as not all owners are responsible - a lot of people still have the 'I want to let my lovely dog have puppies/be a dad because they're so special' mentality and still others don't see their dog getting out of their garden on a regular basis to go roaming as a problem. From a health point of view a castrated dog can't develop testicular cancer and it also lessens the chance of them developing infections such as balanitis (although the health benefits are not really clear cut, some studies have shown that castration may increase the incidence of other conditions). Of course some vets may do it just because that's what they've been taught to do without really thinking about the whys and wherefores and yet others may do it because of the money aspect, that being the world we live in and all.

For me it's a decision that should be made on a case by case basis and there is no blanket right or wrong view on it; it's right for some dogs and some owners and not for others. I think there are much more compelling reasons to routinely spay bitches than to routinely castrate dogs which is why Rodaidh is still intact at 2 and a half years old and will stay as such for the foreseeable future. I had Alfie castrated at just under 2 years old because he suffered from chronic balanitis (nasty penile infections) and it was the only way to really cure it. If that hadn't happened though he would probably have stayed entire for the time being as there were no behavioural reasons to have him done.

As for rescues, for the ones who have the 'existing dogs neutered' rule (not all do) I do understand where they are coming from as they are the ones who pick up the pieces of all the unwanted dogs and irresponsible owners day in day out and I have read some rescues saying that they have had experience of a lot of dogs 'bouncing back' into rescue if homed with entire dogs due to fighting, spayed bitches being mithered by entire dogs etc. (this isn't my opinion, just what I've read on a big rescue site when similar questions have come up). It's up to each rescue to decide on their own rehoming criteria. There are rescues who don't have blanket policies though, it's just a matter of finding one which suits you - Alfie was entire when I adopted Tilly and the rescue were fine with it. 
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 06:11:56 PM »
I get this a lot too for my entire boy, Ollie. He's staying entire unless his behaviour changes dramatically or because of a health issue. He's non-aggressive, doesn't hump, doesn't seem interested in bitches (was near an in-season bitch when Ollie was about 7-8 months and was fine) and only scent marks (which is fine for us). If anyone questions me, I just say it's what we have decided for us and Ollie and people should respect your decision.

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 06:46:22 PM »
I agree, it is totally the decision of the owners.

For us having lost our beloved Benson to prostate cancer we took the decision to have Harvey neutered. He was right as rain a week after his op, and the difference between him and our previous males (not done) is that he does not have that discharge, and isn't forever licking himself. For us another bonus!

I don't understand why your vet could not give reasons, it seems very odd. Perhaps a second opinion might be an idea.

Whatever you decide, I wish you many happy years with your Monty  :blink:

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 07:18:12 PM »
Glen is still entire but I have absolutely no intention to mate him. Sally is spayed so we have no chance of accidents here and unless there is a reason to have Glen castrated then I wont  ;)
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 09:28:50 PM »
Fred is entire and TBH I cant see a reason for having him 'done'- he appears to have no health or behavioural issues and until he does they are staying- esp as it took so long for the 2nd one to drop ;) :lol2:
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Monty Mumma

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 10:18:58 PM »
Thank you so much for all your replies - Lisa you made me roar out with laughter with that comment   :005:

Monty's little plums are staying, hubby would never let anyone snip off his baby boys bits anyway!!

I'm just glad I have found some fellow owners who don't want to rush out and chop bits off their doggies! hoorah  :lol:

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 10:29:22 PM »
Unless i have good reason to then ill not be getting Dennis done  :D

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 06:06:22 PM »
Thank you so much for all your replies - Lisa you made me roar out with laughter with that comment   :005:

Glad it made you chuckle - poor wee man it was def a case of now you see it and now you dont and for ages his nickname was yo-yo!!  (he still answers to yo-yo when we are practicing recall- it works better than come etc for us now!!)
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 08:52:31 PM »
What Nicola said.
If you buy a rescue puppy they go to the extent of giving you a voucher to get your dog/bitch neutred when old enough.

I'm undecided. I always assumed I would definitely do it, but there aren't as many health benefits for the boys so I'm unsure. I'm not intending on breeding him. I think I'm just going to play this one by ear and see how he gets on.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 10:21:56 PM »
Probably because of all the problems the rescues see in their work really - and living in this area I can fully understand why
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 09:47:35 AM »
My main reason to castrate our own dogs is the rescue problem. I do not want to take the chance that any of our dogs may contribute to the dire rescue dog situation! I do not envy those people that go into pounds, there are 10 dogs being put to sleep that evening, they can only take 2 dogs away from the pound as they have only 2 spaces available... which ones do you chose - the ones you don't are going to be put to sleep? I never ever want my dogs to contribute to this... ever!

Hence for me it is a clear case, a dog gets neutered unless there is a good behavioural or medical reason not to!

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 10:12:43 AM »
My main reason to castrate our own dogs is the rescue problem. I do not want to take the chance that any of our dogs may contribute to the dire rescue dog situation! I do not envy those people that go into pounds, there are 10 dogs being put to sleep that evening, they can only take 2 dogs away from the pound as they have only 2 spaces available... which ones do you chose - the ones you don't are going to be put to sleep? I never ever want my dogs to contribute to this... ever!

Hence for me it is a clear case, a dog gets neutered unless there is a good behavioural or medical reason not to!

Vera

Same here.  ;) My male that I show is kept entire, but all our others our done. Most are rescue as I worked in Rescue for years. When we take them out I keep a good eye on all of them, but I do find myself fretting about Tally more as I know the chance is higher of him straying for obvious reasons. I do think it's personal choice and I think both my neutered and un-neatured dogs are all equally happy, but I must admit to agreeing that as a general rule ours are done. Only Tally gets to keep his for the time being.   ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 07:43:48 PM »
The thing I worry about most is the anaesthesia..... having lost a doggie in routine surgery.  Do I elect to have surgery done on my boy puppies now?  I am scared to think about it.  I know that the vets give us all the reasons why we should....but, do they outline also, the possibility of your dog dying as a result of aneaethesia?

I think I am of the opinion that unless the dog is displaying unwanted behaviour, which is causing problems.....then why not keep him entire.

I know that I am going to have to make the same decision one day......but, I dread the thought.
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 07:53:10 AM »
The thing I worry about most is the anaesthesia..... having lost a doggie in routine surgery.  Do I elect to have surgery done on my boy puppies now?  I am scared to think about it.  I know that the vets give us all the reasons why we should....but, do they outline also, the possibility of your dog dying as a result of aneaethesia?

It is always a risk but a lot of vets do these ops all the time and so can do them fairly quickly + this op is much less invasive than for bitches
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!