Author Topic: Advice Please (Seizures)  (Read 504 times)

Offline kobi

• Site Member
  • Kobi & Olly
Advice Please (Seizures)
« on: June 14, 2009, 10:05:34 AM »
Hi Folks.
          Took Kobi out into the forest yesterday, we were out 2 and a bit hours, nearing the the end of walk kobi slowed right down even lagging behind, he seemed to be limping slightly it was more like a jerky movement, he caught us up eventually then the jerkyness seemed to be in all his legs then he sort of froze, so we laid him down on his side, he seemed to be reaching like trying to be sick but wasn't, his mouth was open and his eyes were totally out of it, after about 10 Min's or so he sort of come round a bit but was unable to walk so i carried him back to the car and got him down to the vets who seemed to think it might be a number of things, 1, he was just unwell and now its out of his system he should be OK, 2, could be over exertion, 3, Start of epilepsy, I guessing number 2 i hope because, kobi when out in the forest he runs none stop he just wants me to throw things for him all the time which i think is great because he is getting good exercise, sticks, stones, ball and it continuous, conditions yesterday afternoon was warm sometimes hot but when weather is like that we make sure he is near water which he was, maybe i should slow him down a bit or slow me down a bit, we got one of these ball launchers but we don't use a ball we use stones so you an imagine how far they go and he is off after it so if that is continous i can see how number 2 would be the cause, has any one experienced a similar things, any advice would be a appreciated, oh yeah kobi is 2 year old working cocker, and i have never experienced any thing like this and hopefully i never will

Regards Alan and kobi

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
Re: Advice Please (Seizures)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 10:15:49 AM »
Unfortunately i had a lot of experience with seizures and I really hope it was number 2 as you suspect.When Barney had seizures he would stand still then his mouth would open really, really wide and sometimes he would squeal. He would then fall on his side and his legs would mak frantic running movements. His eyes would be open and he would foam at the mouth. Immediately after the seizure he would junp up and start running around frantically panting and bumping into things.
Hopefully this doesn't sound like Kobi and he just did get overexerted and you will know to watch out and cool him down in future. :luv:

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 10:23:56 AM »
Lola had sunstroke/heat exhaustion last year and the symptoms were similar to what Kobi experienced....really slowing down...very wobbly...trying to be sick and collapsing  and almost looks like they have passed out (not sure if dogs faint  :huh: )...so hopefully it was just a bit of over doing it  ;)
I try not to walk mine in the heat of the day..not always possible i know ...but do early morning walks and later in the evening  ;)
Hope he is ok today  ;)

Offline kobi

• Site Member
  • Kobi & Olly
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 10:37:45 AM »
Hi Ya
      Thanks for that, i hear what your saying and will take it on board, kobi has a 7am walk and a 6pm walk (street walking) during working week and sat/sun is forest time or kobi time, and although i didnt think it was that hot yesterday (like a couple of weeks ago) i guess if you are on the go for a couple of hours you will get hot, he is a little subdued today so he will be kept in for a couple of days.

thanks for your comments

Regards alan and i look sorry for myself kobi

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 12:59:12 PM »
Poor Kobi and poor you - it is terrifying when that happens - definitely think it was heat related, same thing happened with us when Jarv was 9 months old but fortunately we were near a trough so were able to cool him down by OH taking off his t-shirt, soaking it and soaking the dog  :-\  We always take a full 2 litre bottle of water everywhere during the summer in case he over does it...have soaked a towel in it after a walk and wrapped him in it when it was hot too.

bit of a timely warning - they may seem as tough as boots but the heat really really does affect them.  I don't take Jarv anywhere where there is no swimming during hot weather now.

agree with your thoughts about walking early and late, and yes, I would agree too that a chuckit in the heat of the day is too much too  ;)
helen & jarvis x