Author Topic: advice please on tiny puppy  (Read 1480 times)

Offline caolanlee

• pippa and honey
advice please on tiny puppy
« on: July 15, 2009, 07:08:09 PM »
hiya im looking for a bit of advice please my dog had a litter of pups 5 weeks ago it was her first litter she had nine but complications set in and i was left with four totally devestated 2 days later another was fading back to the vets they all got antibiotics but he slipped away later that night after feeding him round the clock heartbroken next day another was fading back to the vets again wasnt long home and it died too.that left me with 2 gold girls they are 5 weeks now but one is half the size of the other and has developed a really large pot belly i worm them with drontal puppy but her belly isnt goin down had her back at the vets today and he wasnt unduly worried coz shes bright enough and she hasnt had her second worming till this weekend but its breaking my heart watching her shes not energetic at all like the other one. shes only 1 and a half kilograms the other is over 3 kilograms and eats everything she does eat to but i put her on my knee and it will take her half and hour to eat then she will drink a little milk.but i noticed coming home from the vets 1 of her little back legs are losing feelin she wont put it down can worms really be the cause of all this how long will it take for her belly to go down she looks like shes about to burst can anyone help   
sharon oneill

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: advice please on tiny puppy
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 07:21:53 PM »
So sorry to hear you lost so many puppies.  :o :'(  It must be a hugely upsetting time.  :'(

I am afraid that i dont' have any advice, as no experience with this particular problem but i am going to p.m. you with some info that may help.  :-\

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline caolanlee

• pippa and honey
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 07:32:57 PM »
thanks i would be so grateful as i have never had this problem in any of my litters before but it is really heartbreakin watching her 
sharon oneill

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 09:07:11 PM »
I have absolutely no breeding experience whatsoever but I do know that my puppy had a very bad reaction to Drontal when she was about 4 weeks old - she too was the tiniest pup in the litter and it left her with a sensitive tum. She has since been wormed with Panacur which was much better - she was full of worms when she came to me and it took a good few days of panacur to sort her out.

So sorry you're having a difficult time.

Offline mum2milly

• Inactive
  • Jumbi Speed Queen, "Milly" xx
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 09:15:52 PM »
No advice I'm afraid, but hope your little pup gets better soon  :luv:

Love Jo & Milly xx

Offline LinzB

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 09:18:30 PM »
No advice I'm afraid, but hope your little pup gets better soon  :luv:

Love Jo & Milly xx

Seconded from us  :-*

Offline caolanlee

• pippa and honey
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 09:26:58 PM »
thanks for your kind remarks i have wormed her again today as the vet told me even though the second worming should have been this weekend but i havent seen her poo yet and thats from this morning tryed to keep her mum away as she cleans up everything in sight which makes it harder knowing if she has pooed or not hoping there are some changes in the next few days cause i really dont know what else to do after that
sharon oneill

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 09:31:33 PM »
Have you ever seen her poo? She could have a blockage.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline caolanlee

• pippa and honey
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 09:49:20 PM »
hiya yesterday morning i seen her poo but she was straining a bit but definately went but i have really watched all day up until i went to work but none of the two of them had went even though the other one is a good robust puppy i thought the worming suspension would have made them go pretty quick.iv only been at work for 3 hours and had to put  the mum back with them im home now but pen is still clean .you would think that the vet would have mentioned something like a blockage when i was there this morning shes so quiet the wee pet she dosent moan like shes in pain or anything.dont really know what to do after this or how long to leave i mean shes had the pot belly for nearly two weeks and suppose cause shes eatin a bit and lappin ok they dont think its concerning but i cant stop thinkin about it 
sharon oneill

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 09:55:01 PM »
Some years ago I hand reared a litter and a couple of times they got a little constipated. Liquid paraffin soon sorted them out. I wonder if this is the problem with your pup?

Offline caolanlee

• pippa and honey
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 09:58:07 PM »
hiya michelle where would i get that and how much would i give her and would it do her any harm sorry so many questions but i would try anything if i thought it would help
sharon oneill

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 09:58:59 PM »
I've just been looking back at my pups weights around 5 weeks. Both my girls had 11 pups in their litters and they wasn't the biggest pups and I did loose some, but Phoebes litter was a nightmare like yours, I was too and fro to the vets and they were on antibiotics and the works.
From the first litter I had a tiny tot who only just over 1kg at 5 weeks whilst the others were well infront of him, but he was as active as the rest. Then in Phoebes litter by 5 weeks all of them were only just over 1kg but again by 5 weeks they were all as active as each other. I do know you need to trust your gut instinct if you think something is wrong, may need to go back again and see a different vet for reassurance.

Offline caolanlee

• pippa and honey
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 10:03:18 PM »
i know that i never go with my gut instinct when i know i should and when this is constantly on my mind i should seek a second opinion but reading things on the internet really get to you as well i think id b better staying of it  :-\
sharon oneill

Offline caolanlee

• pippa and honey
Re: advice please on tiny puppy update
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 01:05:59 PM »
hiya everyone was a bit worried about the pup as she hadnt pooed never noticed nothing all day yesterday and even this morning after i fed her the other one pooed as normal with no worms in it so i thought i would try her with a little plain natural yoghurt well she had a tiny poo right away with a real long roundworm in it but just the one i hope they move a bit quicker now its the first time iv seen anything like that come out of her even tho the belly has been there a couple of weeks and she has been wormed twice fingers crossed
sharon oneill

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 10:43:15 AM »
 No wonder her little belly has been so swollen and she's not gaining weight. Hope she recovers quickly.