Author Topic: Stitches  (Read 401 times)

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
Stitches
« on: August 13, 2009, 07:29:11 PM »
Is it more common to have dissolvable stitches when you have a dog castrated or stitches that need removing after 10 days?

Baja had his removed after 10 days when he was done, but talking to the vet nurse she was saying Mole may well have dissolvable ones.

Is one better than the other at helping to heal, and is one better than the other for the possibility of Mole licking them and damaging them?

We would be going on holiday 10 days after his op so wanted to make sure he gets the best stitches and if it's ok for him to have them removed (if he doesn't have dissolvable) the day that we go on holiday, which involves a 4 hour drive.

I know Baja was back on his feet quickly, but that whole 10 days of keeping him away from his stitches and having the crazy lamp shade on was a pain in the bum  >:(

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Stitches
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 10:56:46 PM »
I haven't had a dog castrated since the Dark Ages  :005: but I trust my vet to use what she likes best.

If he heals normally, there should be no problem with you going on holiday, there is nothing to removing stitches  :D
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
Re: Stitches
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 08:36:47 AM »
Thanks, I was just unsure as the nurse said one vet likes dissolvable and the other doesn't  :huh:

I'm sure it will be fine, I guess its one of the most frequent procedures they do anyway  :blink: