Author Topic: Mucous  (Read 607 times)

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
Mucous
« on: August 16, 2009, 11:54:29 AM »
About 4 weeks ago Baja had an upset tummy with his poo's having mucous in them. He got passed it after about 3 days on chicken and rice and then we introduced his normal food back into it and he was fine.

It started again on Friday night, she he is back on rice and chicken although its made me wonder if theres something more to it.

He eats fine and is hungry, his normal food is wainwrights mixed with JWB, I did wonder if the JWB lamb is the factor as he moved on to this a couple of months ago, but surely if that was the problem he would be like it all the time rather than infrequently?

I've done a search on here, which brings up Colitis, but that seems to have blood and mucous, can you have colitis just with mucous?

I'm off to buy some natural yogurt as recommended on other threads, but should we do other things too?
Thanks in advance  :blink:

Offline ladylola

• Donator
Re: Mucous
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 12:44:16 PM »
You usually get the mucous when something is upsetting the gut. I found mine were mucousy on JWB.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 04:11:39 PM »
Yes you can get colitis with just mucous not blood.

Is it possible Baja has snaffled some food, or had a titbit or treat he doesn't normally or always have? It might be his food but if he is normally okay with it, not so likely I'd have thought.

Plain food and yoghurt is excellent for clearing up attacks, as is Slippery Elm, but finding the cause is always the best thing if you can.
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 04:15:14 PM »
Yes you can get colitis with just mucous not blood.

Is it possible Baja has snaffled some food, or had a titbit or treat he doesn't normally or always have? It might be his food but if he is normally okay with it, not so likely I'd have thought.

Plain food and yoghurt is excellent for clearing up attacks, as is Slippery Elm, but finding the cause is always the best thing if you can.

Thanks  :blink:
There is the possibility he could have eaten something as he was in day care one day last week.
What is slippery Elm?

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 04:50:15 PM »
Thanks  :blink:
There is the possibility he could have eaten something as he was in day care one day last week.
What is slippery Elm?

It's also known as Tree Bark powder and is a digestive soother and aid. You can read about it here http://holisticpetsupplies.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=54

I only found out about it after my Clive's problem had been sorted by other means, but I know a lot of people swear by it.
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline Lynne L

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 10:44:02 PM »
Paddy is allergic to red meat (beef and lamb) and had mucous in his pooh - also a tendency to eat lots of grass and be sick in the mornings (mainly bile) until we got to the bottom of the allergy. Since changing his diet to Hills DD, alternated with fish and veg, he is much better.
Lynne

Offline Mittens

• Rock Steady Eddie
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 09:50:46 AM »
My Eddie had a bad bout of colitis as a young puppy - possibly brought on by him snaffling some of the cat's treats (hotdog pieces) we think! he had mucous but no blood - he's on Puppy purina with a small bit of chicken, or mince or sardines mixed in and does wonderful on it - but lamb and pork products are the culprits for him so we avoid at all costs.
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby